“Just outside Old Havana” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Capri La Habana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Havana
NH Capri La Habana
You added NH Capri La Habana to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 21 Entre Calle N y o reservas1 (At Sign) Capri. Gca. Tur. Cu | reservas1(At Sign) Capri. Gca. Tur. Cu, Havana 10400, Cuba   |
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Havana
Melbourne, Australia
“Just outside Old Havana”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Hotel Capri has proved to be a fairly good option for Havana. Open since December 2013, it’s very clear that the hotel is still learning the ropes around international standards and expectations, but then again, most of Cuba is as well.
The hotel is your ‘newest’ or renovated option for Havana - but it’s no world class renovation - it’s a simple modernisation to start up operations and get some money in the door.
Let me start with my critiques - check-in staff have almost no idea and barely work at a pace faster than slow. Every time we’ve requested a double bed (because that’s what married couples do) they don’t seem to have any available.
The rooms a decent in size but it’s where the renovation is poor. The floor tiles have not been replaced, the cupboards and doors have simply been repainted and the general workmanship is very hurried.
The bathrooms were clean and well equipped, I especially enjoyed having a shower under the rain shower head - but I really disliked the drain clogging with water every time I did (this happened in the 2 rooms I showered in, so it much be an issue).
Extending your stay is like pulling teeth. They cannot guarantee the same room and the credit card machines simply don’t work (at least for 3 of my credit cards didn’t - luckily, it was 4th time lucky).
WIFI was extremely painful to obtain (even within the hotel) as Cuba’s government is still very much controlling all internet access, so obtaining a card (for around 3 CUC for 30 minutes) means a walk down the street, line up with your passport.
On the flip side, it was by far one of the best hotels we stayed in Cuba. The bell boys were absolutely brilliant - luggage was swiftly hurried to our room and restaurant options and directions were always offered very swiftly.
The bar staff were fantastic and extremely friendly - I even enjoyed their interest in wanting to brush up on their English speaking skills.
The breakfast spread was great (by Cuban standards anyway) eggs, cereal, cold meats, pancakes, the works - The coffee was even drinkable!
In summary, Hotel Capri's major let down would have to be the location (in my option) being around 5km for Old Havana (for a Havana first timer) can be really annoying, otherwise, for around 5 CUC and 5 minutes in a taxi, you’re easily taken there. I’m confident the’ll continue to improve as time goes on, so if location is not an issue, definitely stay there, as it’s one of the best places Havana has to offer.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stayed at this hotel from April 13-20 and had a great time; although they still had not opened the gym and no wifi available, there were no public/business computers to contact the outside world; you had to go to the nearby hotel for any internet service.

I had the meal plan (breakfast-dinner) and thought the food and 24-hour bar were genuinely friendly and serviceable. Lots of fresh fruit and Cuban gourmet meals prepared for you on the spot; all bread and baking goods were different every day and made in house w. Of course what made it most exceptional was the people that catered and attended you at all times; they called you last name and remembered your dietary preferences and very accommodating.

Remember to bring a converter to plug in your pc/tablet.

Room Tip: I was facing El Malecon and had a great view of the bay.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

View (11th story), cleanliness and functionality were excellent. The lobby wifi connection (very important to me) was fast. When, around midnight, I connected a 110 volt device to the 220 volt socket in my room I caused a blackout. Maintenance fixed the problem immediately at that inconvenient hour. Most important of all was the friendliness of the staff at all levels (reception, rooms, restaurants). Friendliness is a characteristic of the tourism industry in Cuba, but at this hotel they excel. They are genuine and personal. At the breakfast restaurant ask for Yusnely, one of the servers, the friendliest of all.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed at Capri on a two night trip to Havana from Cayo Guillermo so didn't know where we would be staying but were very pleased.

The staff informed us that the hotel opened in December 2013 after being closed for several decades and the renovation was still ongoing. We were located on the 10th floor with a very interesting city view (the sea views must be amazing). Our room was spacious, airey and modern. There were two problems with the room, one minor and one significant. The minor issue was that the ice cold a/c blasted straight onto the bed but this could be remedied by cooling the room down beofe going to bed. The second was that the shower leaked onto the bathroom/bedroom floor. this was caused by a shower screen that was too short and a shower head that was too long. This needs to be adressed as no matter how careful we were we could not avoid a leak.

The rooftop pool and bar is amazing, a really nice little pool with fabulous views and a good quality bar at moderate prices given the setting.

We stayed at the hotel for dinner and breakfast both days and were pleased with the basement restaurant. The quality and variety of food was good with reasonable prices for drinks - service from Juan was excellent.

The hotel is in a good location close to Hotel Nationale and a 40m walk/short taxi ride to Old Havana.

The reception and lobby bar are well appointed and reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This 50's hotel is newly renovated in classy, modern style. The rooms and bathrooms are roomy, clean and comfortable. The service is superb and personal. The rooftop pool and bar are fun and inviting after a day out in Havana. The fitness floor was not finished, and some of the middle floors may still be under renovation. It was great to be a block from the Nacional Hotel, but most trips to old Havana and restaurants required a taxi. That was no problem since some of the old cars were so much fun! Loved it!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

I spent 4 days and nights at the Capri, March, 2014. I was very happy with the room and facilities they offered. The staff made the experience superb. I've traveled extensively but never had the level of service the Capri offered. The staff knew my name, knew my preferences, and were genuinely wonderful people. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Havana, even the famed National. The Yale Glee Club stayed there too while I was there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed in this hotel as part of a tour to Havana from a beach resort. We had been told not to expect too much from the hotel but were very pleasantly surprised. It's location is brilliant, just up the hill from the Nacional Hotel, with plenty of cafe's, bars and restaurants nearby.

Reception was bright and airy, though check in took far too long considering we were among a group of 18 pre-booked as part of a tour.

The first room we were allocated, room 1506 looked brand new, however it stank of sewage. We went to reception and asked to be moved which was done immediately (to the 8th floor), unfortunately it meant we lost out on the view but it was an extremely comfortable room.

The pool and roof terrace were breath taking, I can't comment on the cost or quality of alcohol unfortunately since we didn't have any.

The basement restaurant was beautifully decorated, though a little too bright in my opinion and some of the tables were too close together. We had a set dinner so I can't comment on the variety of dishes, the ones we had were good quality, though I had to season the Vegetable Soup myself since it tasted like the chef had forgotten to! The soft drinks were reasonably priced and the hotel was one of the rare places in Cuba that sells Coca Cola.

The buffet breakfast the following morning had a good selection, I particularly recommend the omelette. If you want tea instead of coffee with your meal, I advise you order it before you get any food, coffee was plenty but they were slow to serve tea (we had to ask 3 times before we got it).

Check out was fast and efficient.

Overall depending on how much it costs, I'd stay here again for a few days.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 15th floor have less of the city noises and an amazing view of the city
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to NH Capri La Habana? Share your experiences!