“Well am glad to be back! Cuba is a...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Los Frailes

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Havana
Hotel Los Frailes
You added Hotel Los Frailes to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Teniente Rey No 8 | Between Oficios y Mercaderes, Havana 10100 Habana Vieja, Cuba   |
Ranked #13 of 75 Hotels in Havana
“Well am glad to be back! Cuba is a...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010 via mobile

Well am glad to be back! Cuba is a beautiful place to visit, and I was really excited to see my grandmother for the first time. It was really important because my grandma is 80 years of age, and I really wanted to see her. I was looking for a nice safe location near grandmothers home and
everyday I would check online tripadvisor about hotels near by. Tripadvisor was really giving good reviews about LOS FRAILES. So I decided to book the hostal for ten nites, I book from website CUBANETWORKS.com paid in advance. When I got to the hostal everything was good to go, I love my room.there was plenty of light for me....maybe the olders folks can't really see.but I could see fine.the room I got was standrad size. It was be

My room was really nice and big, it was good service and they even let my grandma come and check out the room and chill and have coffe. The breakfast place was really nice andthe food was good and am a picking person.my roo had a nice bathroom and hot and cold water, so that was nice. I really enjoyed it and would recommed anyone to visit LOS FRAILES. -
I didn't use the safe I locked my bags everyday. It was really nice to have family in cuba because they would gave you options on want you wanted
Checkout time wasn't a problem and the house keeper was really sweetm

My trip was in late april early may 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Some cold place
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

This hotel is located in a quite street in Old Havana. The staff are extremely friendly and will help you when you ask (ie. calling a cab, tips on restaurant, etc.). Laundry service is a little expensive, but very quick. They have a cute bar area in the lobby with great mojitos and free breakfast just in the corner of the street. Breakfast included eggs (omelet, scrambled, or sunny) with cheese and ham, variety of pastries and fresh juice.
It is close to the bank and other touristy sites. Definitely felt safe in here.
The room I stayed was themed appropriately to the name of the hotel. Yes, a monastery! The room was well air-conditioned and very clean. One draw back, is that there are no windows!! I guess monks need to concentrate. But once you open your door you are hit with a quaint open courtyard.
Will definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

We enjoyed our stay here. It's a very comfortable and nicely decorated inn, with a lot of character. The staff, as others have said, are extremely friendly and accomodating, and they all seem to speak English quite well. The location was awesome. It was a bit noisy at night, but earplugs took care of that problem - and I think in order to find a quiet accomodation in Havana, you would have to be well away from where all the action is, so it's the price you pay for being centrally located. The only complaint I have is the breakfast. It was at the nearby La Marina restaurant. It as abysmal. I had no problem walking there each morning, but the food selection was quite horried. The breads were stale, the fruit had flies and bugs on it (in spite of their efforts to keep everything covered) and there was very little selection in fruit or cheese, so you felt guilty if you took more than one or two slices. Coffee was abysmal. We brought a box of Starbucks VIA coffee sachets with us, and were so glad we'd packed them. But that set aside, you just don't come to Cuba for the food, so really, I would recommend Los Frailes as a really quaint and comfortable hotel, and just caution you not to have high expectations for the breakfast.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Southern Orange County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

I was lucky and got a Junior Suite because they were sold out of the regular rooms. It was luxurious, had a window and a balcony that opened to the walking street below. Yes, it was noisy from both the street and the tours seeing the inside of the hotel, after 7 am but that's what earplugs are for. The big noise starts at 8 and you should be out experiencing Havana by then! The staff made us feel at home (all 16 of us) and the Mojitos Rocked! The location was perfect in Old Town Havana, the nicest part of that city. Walking distance to lots of hotels, shops, and the people. The restaurant across the way that they use for breakfast was OK. You need to be specific about your egg order and the stuff on the side bar isn't in great supply. But the service is good, and great if you tip a peso or two - muy rapido! Wherever you eat, expect it a blessing if the food isn't overcooked. You don't go to Cuba for the food.

• Stayed March 2010
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

Los Frailes is an absolutely lovely old monastery converted into a comfortable hotel, close to everything, yet quiet, with charming staff. What more? More light, please! The standard rooms have no windows, and the only way to air them is to open the door onto the beautiful patio. The (electric) light inside is so dim that you have to go out even for checking a phone number, not ot mention revising your notes or writing a postcard. Brown painted walls hardly help: if you are even slightly claustrophobic, beware!
Said this, I loved the place and the atmosphere, the price was reasonable (on the cheap side by European standards), the maid -called Yohama- was a sweet and the 'breakfast' patio across the street has an undeniable wow factor, with luscious trees, parrokeets and other local fixtures.
If I were to go again, particuIarly on a business trip, I would book (or try to) one of the four junior suites, just for the window.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

A Cuban hostal with a medieval monastery theme may seem incongruous, but somehow it works. Making a feature of what would otherwise be a disadvantage - the fact that they have no windows - the rooms are designed like monks' cells, spartan but perfectly comfortable, and grouped around a beautiful internal patio of hanging plants. A balcony at the end of each floor allows you to gaze out on the street life below. We visited during an unexpected cold spell, but imagine that the patio setting would be cool and shady when the weather is hot.

Breakfast is in a little corner cafe across the road, prepared to order, and includes freshly squeezed orange juice.

Staff are friendly - and make great mojitos (the addition of a few drops of Angostura gives them a little more bite) - and will help out with everything from taxi bookings to recommendations of where to eat or spend an evening out. The house band makes a change from the usual Buena Vista style performers - a quartet of clarinetists reinterpret Cuban and classical music in a style which somehow leads you to believe that this is what the monks would have wanted.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

I stayed here for the first two nights of my first trip to Cuba. Following my two nights here I stayed only in casa particulares, and in terms of affordability and meeting Cubans (and other travellers) that is definately the way to go. But Los Frailes was a very nice hotel, located in a wonderful, quiet street just around the corner from Plaza Vieja in Old Havana. It's a perfect spot for visiting the beautifully restored streets of Old Havana. It's also in a relatively hassle free area with a palpable security presence. This is not "real" Havana, but it IS very lovely and interesting. I was apprehensive that the rooms lacked windows, but though they were somewhat dark, the rooms were pretty large and airy with high ceilings. The bed was comfortable, the washrooms were clean, internet access is available in the lovely lobby, nice barman (René) and the mojitos are actually pretty good, reception was cooperative and spoke English, beautiful inner courtyard with hanging vines. I'd go back again, particularly if arriving from abroad and wanting to to recuperate from my flight. It's a nice place to relax, the small bar area is very laidback in the evening. Some live music is played there from time to time, but nothing to write home about. The breakfast included in the price is served at a restaurant just down the street. It's as good as anything you'll get in Cuba (coffee, juice, fruit, bread, jam, eggs, toast). The hotel has an elevator. The building is very beautiful, and historic (a converted monastery). I paid around $75 Canadian per night during high season (just before Christmas 2009). There is a safe in the room, but you must pay 2$ a night to use it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Los Frailes? Share your experiences!