“Another new particular restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #422 of 497 Restaurants in Havana
Cuisines: Cuban
Fredericton, Canada
“Another new particular restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

One of the things that I love about Varadero, is the ability to just walk off a resort (within the village) and walk the side streets as well as 1st avenue. During April 2012, I had a chance one morning to find La Palmita, a new Cuban restaurant, located on calle 12, on the corner, you will see the sign, close to Autopisto, the main highway. It is up one block from this highway, on calle 12 and it is right on the corner. This is a new Cuban restaurant, which has opened about three months ago. I am posting some pictures with this review, which I think will help you identify it.

This restaurant is located in the court yard area of the owner's casa. The sitting area is in the courtyard at the front, it has a cover for the roof area, and has blinds, that are transparent that will come down when it is windy or raining. The bathroom is located in the owner's home and it is spotless. It opens at 12 noon, as most restaurants do within Varadero.

There is a full menu, although I forget about the variety of bar selection. But beer and wine are definitely available. There is a good selection of aperitifs, and a selection of main course meals. I found the costs of both were about $1.00 more than another Cuban restaurant I visited.

The owner is very keen for tourists to know that he has an established business. He appears to be working very hard at this enterprise. He also has hired other Cubans, in the meal preparation and wait service. While I was there, a Food Inspector or Public Health Inspector arrived and he was there for a time period of well over 40 minutes. He was in the kitchen area, and came out to a table to finish writing his report, and upon completion a staff member was asked to sign it.

I had a shrimp dinner cooked with a special flavoring recommended by the owner, it was delicious.

I enjoyed my experience with this restaurant, would return. By all standards I would rate this as a 4; however, it is only the pricing that I found a bit high.

• Visited April 2012