“Quiet area in embassy part of Havana” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Palco

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Havana
Hotel Palco
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 146 e 11 y 13 | Reparto Siboney, Havana, Cuba   |
Ranked #38 of 75 hotels in Havana
Bentley
“Quiet area in embassy part of Havana”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Big hotel but mainly empty, good location outside Havana, in the embassy area. Rooms are comfortable and food is ok as staff in restaurant try hard to please. Not a bad place to start or finish your visit to cuba

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Good location if you want to attend Habanos festival. Pool area is also quite nice. Don't leave anything valuable to your room when you are away! Remember to be the first oness in the queue when the meals are served.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here as part of a Convention group. This hotel is connected to the Convention Center literally next door. We found the staff accommodating at all times, helpful and friendly. When we requested they changed our room without a fuss. The first smelled of cigarettes. The rooms were nicely appointed, not luxurious but very adequate and confortable. The lobby bar was a happening spot with nice entertainment. The hotels location in the Diplomatic highend zone of Miramar is close to lots of good to very good restaurants and other attractions. One must remember that one is in Cuba and the same levels of accommodation one expects elsewhere might not be possible. We had a very nice stay here and I would return here should I ever have business to do in Havana. AC. It also had a decent breakfast buffet that was included in my package deal.

Room Tip: It is close to a major highway but the lack of vehicles on the streets makes rooms facing the street...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I booked the hotel through Hotels4u and the website stated:

THE HOTEL HAS A SHUTTLE SERVICE 4 TIMES EVERY DAY THAT TAKES TO THE OLD CENTER. THE ALSO HOTEL

When we arrived we asked about the shuttle bus and we were met with a shrug from the receptionist. On questionning further, we were told that the shuttle bus had stopped running circa 4 years ago. We asked how we could get to Old Town and again we were met with a shrug. We asked another receptionist if there was a local bus and we were advised that there was one 7 blocks away.

We asked about a taxi and that cost 30 pesos round trip. I was 5 months pregnant and therefore I did not want to walk over 7 blocks for the local bus (with no directions) and therefore we asked for a taxi which took over half an hour to arrive.

In addition, to the mis-description on the website the hotel was sub standard:

- the sheets and towels were dirty
- the floor was dirty
- the walls were damp and dirty
- the buffet room had such a horrible smell that I could not eat the breakfast for heaving
- the chairs in the buffet room were dirty and stained
- there was building works which was a health and safety hazard and dirty

We complained at the reception, but again met with a shrug and no resolution.

We left after 1 night despite paying for a longer stay. I complained straight away to Hotels4U and 60 days later I am still waiting for a response and they are not regulated by ABTA and therefore whilst having an SLA of 28 days, it means nothing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

First: this hotel is not in Vinales, it is in Havanna. It is next to the conference centre, about 20 mins by car from central Havanna (to the West).

The correct address is: Calle 146e/ 11y13, Reparto Siboney, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba. Phone: (537) 204 3449.

Hotel is a good choice if you are going to the congress center, or maybe some business travel with connections nearby.

If you are are tourist I would recommend to find a "casa particular" in central Havanna, or elsewhere if you have special preferences. They are much cheaper, whit often a good quality, friendly host and a good value for the money ratio.

Hotel Palco is clean, the staff is friendly. The breakfast is TERRIBLE and should be closed intirely by the Food Control Authoriy or hotel management.I haven´t seen this level of garbage food, garbage coffee and bad service since the great times in the 80´s in good old Soviet Union. My friend got stomach problems after eating here. The hotel is not very cheap, unless you get a good conference deal.

If you want to stay at a hotel in central Havana: choose Hotel National de Cuba. It is excellent, not that much more expensive and will give you a much better experience than Hotel Palco.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Palco for one week for a conference. It's a good hotel and I think it's really good value for money, although the service needs A LOT of improving. It states that it's an international business hotel, so I thought that would mean they would speak English as well as Spanish, and would have all the things you need when travelling for work. The staff at the front desk are not helpful at all, but the bar staff are nice. I found it very strange to turn up to a hotel and have no one explain anything to you when you check in - they don't tell you where things are, or what time breakfast is etc. But to be honest, I've found this is common in Cuba generally - people will help you but they won't go out of their way - you really have to ask and be specific.

The breakfast buffet is pretty good at the hotel, although the dinner menu is limited (but the drinks are cheap!). There is VERY slow internet, but considering it's Cuba it's pretty good that they have internet at all! It's on the pricey side - US$5 per hour on the computers in the lobby or US$10 per day in your room. I think as it's a conference hotel internet should really be included.

The conference facilities are very good - one of the best I've seen actually (aside from the internet). The hotel isn't in a particularly exciting part of town but you can go into Havana easily. I recommend staying a few nights in Havana as well as it's where all the action is.

The rooms are nice, although DO NOT use the bathrooms around the hotel - there is hardly any toilet paper and there are NO toilet seats - I found this very strange for a conference hotel I must admit.

Just a warning - you need to know a little Spanish to get by here in this hotel. I can speak a little and still found it extremely difficult.

All in all, good hotel and worth the money, but to really claim to be an international business hotel there are certainly improvements to be made.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the opposite side to where the entrance is - otherwise you hear all the street nois...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Srayed here as part of a conference, so convenience was main objective. The reception staff were very concerned that there was no room ready when I arrived, and I did well with a quiet room on the fourth floor.

Breakfast was OK, and there are good options for lunch/dinner all about the complex.

There is a good pool and a grill by the pool.

Like the rest of Cuba the connection to the Internet was poor - and for a conference hotel that matters.

a long way from central Havana - but there are taxis. Still would not recommend it if you intend to enjoy Havana.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Palco? Share your experiences!