“True number one.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Maura Habana Vieja

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Casa Maura Habana Vieja
You added Casa Maura Habana Vieja to your Saves list
Refugio No.104 | e/Prado y Morro, Havana 10100, Cuba   |
Ranked #6 of 434 Havana B&B and Inns
Rome, Italy
“True number one.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

There's a reason why Maura is the first place Tripadvisor suggests to go in Habana.

It's not only for the location, just beside the Museum of the Revolution, at the borders of Habana Vieja and near the Malecon.
It's not only for the place, immersed in the true Cuban house

It's mainly for Maura, one of the most wonderful person we've met in Cuba. Want to know how wonderful? Read this.

We stayed our first night in Cuba, then we began a tour of the island, returning to her place in Habana after several days. We payed just the first night.
The next morning she called a taxi for us for the airport, and told us that taxi drivers never give change for the ride (it's 25CUC) and to be prepared with the exact money. We didn't have a 5CUC bill, just 10 ones, she didn't have change so she gave us 5CUC in small cash, to avoid to give more money to the taxi driver.

She just trusted us to get her money back after those days.
You can tell where in the world those things happen?

Great Maura, keep on!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CASAMAURA, Propietario at Casa Maura Habana Vieja, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for opinion, my objective is always that they feel the best thing possible in my house, and to help him to that enjoy its trip to Cuba.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed in this Casa for 3 nights, Firstly at the beginning of my stay and after an 8 day bike ride. Although Maura has limited English and I have practically no Spanish I still had a lovely stay and we were able to work most things out between us and her family. Maura is learning English so in future this will be less of an issue, however, for now a little Spanish would make your life easier. My room was lovely, clean and comfortable with my own bathroom and air conditioning. Breakfast and laundry services were not included but for a very reasonable $4 Maura supplied these for me. She organised a Taxi from the airport for me which after a long flight was very welcome. The location is in the old town, 5-20 mins from the main sites depending on what you want to see. It felt a little like a back street, but most streets in Cuba are like this. However as a lone female traveler I wouldn't have gone out after dark on my own. Luckily I had a friend from Havana by the time I returned so this was not a problem. Otherwise I would recommend this Casa and its family as a wonderful place to stay and see a bit of the real Cuba!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
CASAMAURA, Propietario at Casa Maura Habana Vieja, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for the time that dedicated to write their opinion, I wait that, in their next visit it can fill their expectations and I can achieve him to qualify me with the maximum qualification.
As you could appreciate, I am making an effort studying English, and in very little time I will be speaking flowingly with my guests.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My father and I stayed at Casa Maura for a total of 5 nights over two weeks in October of 2012. Staying here was great - the family was delightful and Maura was extremely helpful in having cabs available in the early morning as well as giving suggestions and helpful tips about Havana. My father and I had the room with two twin beds and it was great.

The location is second to none - right in Old Havana and half a block from the Prado and the Museum of the Revolution.

Maura was also helpful making a few calls for us to other Casas around Cuba that we had booked.

Breakfast was great, as were her suggestions for other places to eat.

I can't recommend her any higher. I would go back in a moment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CASAMAURA, Propietario at Casa Maura Habana Vieja, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your opinion, you are very kind, your father and you were very pleasant people, it moved me a lot, the your finish day in Cuba, you came to say goodbye.

Thank you to give us the opportunity to know them

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We also liked this place. We only had a night here and we came here because of the reviews here. One thing we would like to mention though was the difficulty we had in finding in. The cab driver didn't know where it was and it was hard to find because there isn't a big sign out in front. You have to go up a flight of stairs above a hair salon.

Anyways we met the family and they were awesome. They really try hard. The breakfast was great. They made fresh mango juice for us. It was a great location in town and we could do everything we wanted. We originally had thought we would go to the 5 star hotel next door but glad we ended up meeting Maura, her family, and having her demo some salsa for us!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CASAMAURA, Propietario at Casa Maura Habana Vieja, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for their kind opinion, in your opinion you mentions the difficult thing that it was to find the house, because the chauffeur of the taxi in that you came didn't find it, one of our immediate objectives is to improve the signaling of the house.
I reiterate him my gratefulness for their opinion, for us it was a pleasure to have them in my house we enjoy it a lot in spite of the little time.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed at Mauras for 4 nights this September, and it was brilliant. Very nice breakfast and Maura and her family were wonderful and extremely helpful with local knowledge. Maura speaks a little english but her children speak perfect english and are on hand to help with any translations needed. Very good location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your opinion, remembers that this will always be your house in Cuba.

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

As a couple, my boyfriend and I stayed at Casa Maura's for one night in September 2012 after a trip around Cuba. The location is superb, being very close to the malecon, old Havana, right next to El Prado (one of the historic streets in Havana) and the touristy spots. Maura and her family were very welcoming, and did everything they could to make our stay comfortable, even though we experienced once of Havana's notorious blackouts the night we stayed at this casa (talk about a unique experience! - Maura provided us with a torch for our room, which was so thoughtful). Note that there are about two flights of stairs to take up to Casa Maura (which is in an old building with very secure doors), so ensure that you can carry your own baggage comfortably. Our room had a queen bed, air conditioner and fan, and ensuite (shower & toilet). There was a laundry tub & clothesline in the secure back area of the casa so it was easy to do our own laundry. The breakfast (at a cost of CUC5 for two people) was filling and consisted of various fresh fruits & juices, eggs (cooked the way you want it), bread, butter, and ham & cheese sandwich for my partner. Maura helped us with getting a reliable and good-value taxi driver to take us to the airport when our booked taxi did not arrive. I understood a little Spanish so Maura and I got to have a fun conversation after breakfast - so friendly! I booked this casa by calling Maura about a week before I arrived in Cuba, so the process was very easy, and then paid cash upon check-out. I would highly recommend staying at Maura's casa if you are ever in Havana.

Room Tip: Make sure you let Maura know whether you want a queen bed or two single beds if you are traveling wi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CASAMAURA, Propietario at Casa Maura Habana Vieja, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your opinion, although your stay was very short I appreciate your visit a lot, you have been very kind.
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We wanted to visit havana therefore we searched for accomodation in maura's casa. Because she didnt have any room available she suggested us her friends Tere and Justo, Tere's casa. We stayed there for 6 nights and we felt like home. Justo and Tere, their daughter Juliet and her lovely little son Manuel were so kind and helpful and we really adorred them. The room was very big and clean, with clean towels and sheets with many fans and aircondition. The breakfast was so plentiful and delicious!! Justo gives great restaurant advices by the way..The location was also a great advantage as it was in the middle of everything, next to malecon, to prado, to havana vieja.(about 100 meters away from maura's casa). Unfortunately Tere doesnt have internet connection therefore i write my reviews here. I definitely recommend Tere's casa!!
As for Maura, we had the chance to stay there only for one night but we were also extremely satisfied. Very clean house, great location, perfect people and delicious breakfast. Maura also helped us a lot to organize our trip, as she sent us many emails before coming to cuba. She asnwered to my emails very fast giving all the appropriate info i needed. She also suggested us a great day trip to vinales soroa which was astonishing!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
CASAMAURA, Propietario at Casa Maura Habana Vieja, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
You have been very kind with your opinion, gives me a lot of satisfaction that you have felt so well at home of TERE and that you were useful my recommendations

Been to Casa Maura Habana Vieja? Share your experiences!