“Our worst casa in Cuba” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Colonial - Miguel y Doris

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Casa Colonial - Miguel y Doris
You added Casa Colonial - Miguel y Doris to your Saves list
Calle Jesus Maria No 278 | e/Picota y Compostela, Habana Vieja, Havana, Cuba   |
Ranked #224 of 434 Havana B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Our worst casa in Cuba”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here on our final night in Cuba. Though the location is not bad, this was by far our least favorite casa in Cuba. We stayed in a boiling hot and noisy room above the garage. The service was far from great. Our taxi to the airport never arrived and when we asked for a bottle of water we got refilled bottles with chloride tap water. Bathrooms were gross and dangerous. Looking at the breakfast made us decide to have brunch at Cafe Paris instead. Definitely a no for us!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

By no means should you stay in these people´s casa particular!!!!!! Miguel had 30$ to return to me for a night that I did not stay there and after two days of constantly asking him about the money, he said he would give it back. However, the night before I was due to fly out, he said that he didn't have the money but to call my Cuban friend and she would pick it up for me. I flew out early that morning and that evening she was to collect the money. HIS SOLUTION to the problem. But when she called to collect the money, he said that he didn't owe me anything. That, I participated in a Dec 24th dinner (that he paid nothing for nor did any of the cooking) and that that was the end of that.

WHAT HORRIBLE PEOPLE. I've been travellling for years and I've never experienced anything like this. These people really are a piece of work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was referred to Miguel and Doris by another casa particular listed in the Lonely Planet. My room was in the patio, it had a very good and clean bathroom, and a locker for my valuable (haven't seen this in other casas).

The family is very nice; they were very helpful, I could do national phone calls without problems. Furthermore, I learnt a lot about life in Havanna in my conversations with Miguel, a former baker in the bakery just round the corner.

The neighborhood is a very authentic, untouristic part of Habana Vieja. Around the corner there is the beatifully restored Convento de Belen. The area can be a bit dark at night (as much as any part of Havanna) but I always felt safe and you are only 5 min by foot from Piazza Vieja.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Greater Cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

This casa was pretty good and a reliable place to stay in Cuba. I arrived pretty late at night, and luckily there was still a room available for me. I did have reservations, but sometimes if you do not call, casa operators give your room to someone else. They had a menu available with prices that was handy. They also offered boiled water that was refrigerated for free. The breakfast food was ok. The guayaba smoothie was the worst I had in Cuba. The breakfast overall was fairly standard. Eggs with buns and government ham and cheese. The cheese is actually quite good. The room I stayed in was up a small staircase. The room had air conditioning and a fan. Knowing Spanish would be good here, but I still made it without knowing much and this was my first night ever in Cuba.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Monterrey, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

This was supposed to be our last house after our 17 day tour in Cuba. At this point of the trip we knew what to expect of a casa particular. When we arrived Miguel and Doris were not there, but left instructions to a 10 year old and sister to show us the rooms. The rooms were crammed with no windows built on top of the garage which were accesible only by a narrow staircase. To make matters worse the bathroom was in the patio and they mentioned we could also use the one in the kitchen! We left after this and looked for another house. The Casa Colonial appeared to have better rooms in the patio but i guess you had to be lucky to get them. The ones on top of the garage looked like they were not registered and were there to make extra money.

Room Tip: Specify the patio rooms with private bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Was led to believe Miguel and Ana Doris spoke English; which was important to us, since we wanted to talk to everyday Cubans. We hardly saw Miguel, and his wife spoke about as much English as I spoke Spanish...which is not much. Yet, Ana Doris was a charming host, and the people who lived there (or were just staying there--we really couldn't tell, it is such a big place) were very congenial. The language barrier was a bit awkward and frustrating, though. We would have like to pick our hosts' brains for tourist recommendations.
The A/C went kaput in our tiny upstairs room. Thankfully, we did have a fan and it wasn't too warm. Our room faced the street and it was not uncommon for folks to be yelling outside after midnight. I would not recommend that particular room if you are a light sleeper.
Across the street is a small bakery/bar where you can buy bread and a cold beer if you so desire. The Casa is pretty cool architecturally, and it is fairly close to Old Havana. All in all---kind of a mixed bag---probably better if you speak Spanish. In any event--i wouldn't be afraid to stay here again. Good breakfast!

Room Tip: see review
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Found Miguel and Anas house on the internet. The photos online DO NOT do it justice. We stayed in 2 separte rooms on the the upper level of the home in May and August of this year.
First room was the largest, and bathroom was quite big. immaculate, everything from the linens to the floors in both rooms.
2nd bedroom we stayed in was on the 2nd floor terrace, it was smaller, but clean and comfortable for a few nights.
Maid service came daily, made the beds, washed floors etc.
The entire family was always wonderfully hospitable, and informative. Only issue is that you dont have a key to the front door, they are quiet used to this, but I felt bad to come back late at night to wake them up.
Whole house is beautiful, I heard from other tourists staying there that the food was wonderfuly, but I did not eat there. There is always a stock of bottled water and soft drinks in your room fridge for a charge of 1cuc, if none in your fridge, just as and they will get it for you. There is a printed menu in each room of their services, as well as laundry prices.
Each room came with a very well detailed info sheet for travellers, escpecially first timers to Havana.
Each room also has a built in wall safe. Miguel can also arrange transportation around the city and to the airport, as well as recommending other casas in cuba.
A beautiful house and a beautiful family in Havana Vieja
I would recommend this casa to anyone looking to see the real havana.

Room Tip: Try and get the room right at the top of the wooden stairs that lead out to the patio.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Colonial - Miguel y Doris? Share your experiences!