“The best restaurant in Havana” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #46 of 499 Restaurants in Havana
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dublin, Ireland
“The best restaurant in Havana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Cuba is not famous for good food or for attentive service but you'll find both here in abundance. Pizzas and lighter fare are served downsatirs and the pizzas are amazing for the very low price. Upstairs is for more serious food and the view of the Malecon from the patio is spectacular. Both restaurants offer menus prices below what is usual in Havana and everything is served by smiling, professional and attentive waiting staff. You will definitely not be disappointed. I would suggest downstairs for lunch and upstairs for dinner. Spotlessly clean also which is a bonus in Cuba.

Visited January 2012

Zurich, Switzerland
“One of the best places in Havanna”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

The Castropol belongs, among a few others, to the best places in Havanna. We enjoyed sitting on the terrace upstairs, with a beautiful view to the stormy ocean and Malecón.

Compared to what's around in Cuba, it's definitely a recommendation.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, OR
“Rude, no flavor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Now that I read the reviews, I think I understand the dual reviews for this place!
We ate upstairs, and someone mentions that this part has a different menu and prices? If this is true, it totally makes sense.
I arrived one night ahead of my husband. They seemed busy so I put my name on the list and told them I was waiting for my husband to arrive.
The manager came over to ask me if I preferred upstairs or downstairs- which I thought was really sweet because I thought he had noticed that I have trouble negotiating stairs. I clearly said "downstairs" - in Spanish even.
2 minutes later they said my table was ready. I told them was worried that my husband would not find me, I would prefer to wait, but they said "no problem, we will direct him to you", and the led me upstairs! And this is no easy stair case- very steep and I think no railing.
15 minutes later my husband was not there, so I had to go back downstairs, only to find my husband wandering the streets to find me, because when he arrived and no one told him I was here, he was worried I was on the streets alone.
I complained to the check-in guy and he apologized, and I told him I did not want to go back upstairs, and I had asked for downstairs- and he said "well, now downstairs is full".
Grrr.
so, the menu looked great, the dishes came out looking fabulous, but they really had no flavor at all. Everything seemed to try too hard on making it look fancy. The service was horrible, we almost walked out to try to get the check!

But, with all of the great reviews, I wonder about downstairs....

Visited January 2012
revelstoke
“Castropol”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Great location, great prices, great food, great service. We ate here 3 times in Havana. Loved it

Visited December 2011
Varadero
“Good food and Beautiful view of Havana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

A few months ago I ate in this restaurant. The food was really good, probably the best shrimps in garlic sauce that I have ever eaten in my entire life. Also the place has a beautiful view of Havana especially of the Morro Cabaña and Malecon as it is located in front of the sea. As I saw the prices are according to the dishes, there are some expensive and others mid-budget. I strongly recommend it.

• Visited July 2011