“If you can afford Havana, go there.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Caribe Club Atlantico

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Havana
Gran Caribe Club Atlantico
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ave. Las Terrazas | Santa Maria Del Mar, Havana, Cuba   |
Ranked #35 of 75 hotels in Havana
Vancouver, Canada
“If you can afford Havana, go there.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The ONLY reason I took this hotel was for the all inclusive and free shuttle to Havana. If you can afford food and drink (and Havana is cheap) then go to one of those hotels. This is not a 3 star, even at Cuban standards. It is a 1 or 2 at the most. I stayed at a Veradero 4 star the next week and put this to absolute shame. I have traveled 3 times, in 4 hotels, in Cuba, and numerous in Mexico, and Dominican and this is the worst yet. I will not go on about things, I will just list facts I took note of when I was there 2 weeks ago.
There is no ice for drinks unless you ask. Someone stated not purified if you ask for it. Your choice.
There is no water in rooms. Fridge but no water. You have to have a container with you and ask at the bar.
The drinks are warm, the food is cold. If you do not get to buffet right when opens, it will be cold. No heaters or coolers under food. Repetitive. Same thing 7 days in a row. Seriously nothing changes.
Also once the food is gone it's gone. They don't 'top up" things.
little cups. If you go bring coffee cup or cooler cup or you get small plastic cups.
no "bar menu". You have to know what you want. Once a type of booze is out, it might not be there for a few days. We drank brandy then "none til tommorrow". Pina Colada. " no more til tonight". What????
only red wine, no white at supper. You can buy some at the store but they don't have it to serve.
When you flush your toilet it takes about 30 minutes to fill up. Ask your partner if they "went" cause you will have to wait!
Shower is dribbly only. No problems with hot/cold water though.
Flies and bugs. I have not seen so many flies in a buffet before. The bugs at night are a killer. Bring repellent. (it is thier rainy season so that brings out bugs so take that with a grain of salt)
Birds eating right off the buffet table. They fly in and grab a noodle an fly out. I didn't mind the birds so much as the flies.
no sweetener. Just sugar. Little thing true, but still there.
The pool is filthy. They clean it but I'm not sure what they are cleaning. Flies and bugs floating in it.
Don't go to the gym! Seriously! It has black mold growing on the walls and the machines are just rusty machines from about 15 years ago. Only bikes and weights. The hotel is on a flat land with streets in grids. Lots of easy jogging areas. Do that not the gym or you may get some lung disease.
The rooms gave you 2 bars of soap on arrival and then the next day they were gone! We had to ask for replacement and then they said "tomorrow" The other bathrooms (not your room) have no soap and/or toilet paper. This is why I believe I got sick. Dirty, flies and nothing to wash with. This is a bad combo.
GOOD STUFF
ok the shuttle really works well. He leaves on time at the hotel and Havana to return. He doesn't hang around waiting for those people that are always late. You're late, tough!
It leaves at 930, 130 and 630 and comes back at 1 and 6. There is no late return. Cost is about 15 CUC to come back (or so they say)
The coffee and Cappiccino is good (for Cuban coffee) It's out of a machine for breakfast but really not that bad. The Cappicino's are made properly.
They don't chimp on the booze, so that's good.
If you go feed the 3 wild cats. One will come to you, the others will only take your food.
The beach is nice.
The people are nice. The lobby girls are good. The lobby bartenders are nice under the circumstances. Even the "grumpy" pool lady isn't so bad.
Gay friendly hotel.
Well that's it. Feel free to email if you want more info.

Room Tip: don't get ocean view. Trees to high anyhow. If you get drunk the stairs look dangerous. Big gaps...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in the Club Atlantico at the end of our holiday, having spent time travelling around different areas of Cuba, staying in lovely casa particulars in Vinales and Trinidad and another hotel in Havana. I'm sorry to say, this was our worst stay. On the positive side, the hotel is very well situated on the beach and the rooms are a good size. The negatives are that the whole hotel needs a complete refurb but more importantly, the food in the buffet restaurant is poor and has flies crawling all over it (most of it is uncovered) and birds flying in and landing amongst it. It is a shame, as given the location and size of the accommodation, there would seem to be a good deal of potential in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Infodireccion, Director General at Gran Caribe Club Atlantico, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Customer

We regret that your stay at our facility was not expected, thank you transmit to us their experiences. It is a pleasure to inform you that our restaurant Buffet has already running 5 A. So put insects in the tropics abound for being part of nature we no longer have access to it. They take into account their views on our buffet restaurant although we are governed by the Rules of Family Hotels brand Hi Club. We provide guided by the NC-126 with a wide range and domestic service.

It works on the refurbishment of 20 rooms and maintaining this brings hope for your next visit to our facility and these details have been remedied by improving the comfort of our rooms.

Regards.

Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

... Sad to say we will never return to Hotel Atlantico. We would like to thank the hotel's hard-working staff who go Above and Beyond their duty to support their workplace and take pride at their work. Thank you, all !!! However, hoards of Old Italian men ( a few Russian, as well) paired with young Cuban girls is an upsetting issue for us. Many of the these young women seemed under-aged and, definitely, the friends who join them at the beach were just too young to be out on their own. Why are the Police (present, daily, at the beach) and the Guards and the Staff allow this to happen ? So sad to see exploitation of young people in Cuba...

Room Tip: West facing, 2nd + floor; great sunsets, no mosquitos :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Infodireccion, Director General at Gran Caribe Club Atlantico, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
First of all appreciate your opinion about our hotel services. Referring to the topic you dislike .We would like to respond to provide information and learn the ways of the hotel in terms of national hosting which provides that no person under 18 years can stay in the facility. We affirm that our hotel meets safety standards, complies with the law and comes under the right of admission to not cause unnecessary inconvenience to our other customers. Each assessment is personal and yet allowed all people living their stay at our facility are honorable guests like you and in many cases repeaters and as such deserve respect. Every being or individual of the human adult, is endowed with reason, self-conscious and possessed of an identity so it is able to select a partner without indiscriminate of race, nationality or physical abilities including so we feel that the image of our customers remain infamada with your comments.

ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I would like to back up my friends opinion on her review. I was there!
Clearly the management took it personally and did not look at the review as a helpful facts that could better the quality of this little gem. The management missed the whole point!
I want to first say that I love Cuba and the people, and realize that the conditions in Cuba are not that of Hawaii, Bermuda and Vegas, I get that!
I have been to Cuba 22 times in 6 years, and at Atlantico 5 times now! I was there in January brought new friends and loved the stay as usual. I mentioned hoe the food was getting better, it seemed they were starting to get this little hotel back to it's original charm, which I love!
Love small and more quaint hotels. This hotel has one of the most beautiful beaches, and once you get to know the staff they are very warm and helpful, from the front desk to the restaurant , to Jorge at the beach to the ladies at the pool bar as you would any where else in the world, treat them with respect and tip them, they work so hard for nothing!
Having said all that, this time going back just 3 months prior something was different. I would like to say I back up my friends review and reply to the managements point of view.
No way was this review written to disrespect the Cuban people! This was about what we saw and what was left on the resort that we stayed at.
We realize the beach is free, but at the end of the day , at " Atlantico Beach." , (not the whole entire Territory of Santa Maria) , as management implies ! Was left with garbage.
From where we sat to the the surf ! Dirty diapers washing up to the shore, we watched her change her babies diapers on the beach by the beautiful surf, and she left it there!! I put it in the garbage. Cuban or not,,, this is disgusting! This is not a form of maliciousness , or falsehood! This is what I saw!
I almost stepped on a huge piece of broken glass by the chairs on the beach!! where would that have come from since the guests of the hotel are served in plastic cups?
My girlfriend and I cleaned the beach picking up beer cans, juice boxes paper plates, plastic forks and knives, paper napkins, that were just thrown about! We looked as far as we could see down the beach and all we could see was garbage!! We were so sad! I have not seen it like this ever!
We strolled down the beach picking up garbage as we went for our beautiful walk along the shore!
This is not to offend our guests to effect their morality and integrity... .?? What?? This is what I experienced!
If this is condition that meets the requirements of management and safety standards .... " wow!"
Of course you will have many different reviews that don't match, they were not there that week!
My stay in January was fabulous, but this visit was not anything like that!
The food seemed to go down hill since January, not too sure why? The pork and turkey and chicken were absolutely delicious!
The air conditioning in the restaurant was broken all 4 of them, and the door to the beach was locked! I asked why, because they don't want guests walking through to the beach! .? What?
It was hot in there. This is not malicious or falsehood.. It is what I endured!
Pool was scummy!
Something has changed, not too sure what?
Many young cuban girls with really old men, grandpa like! Money talks.
I know this exists in Cuba, I ask my friends about this. they say " It is normal here in Cuba!" Not anywhere in Canada, Italy, can you get away with this type of behavior! I do agree with my friend, have specific hotels for that! In my country , these old men 75 and up with women young enough to be their granddaughters would be called child molesters!
You talk about "morality." .?
It gets a little hard to look at after a while! Everyone knows what is happening, I know what is happening! "Money talks!
What about the morality and the integrity for your guests that travel thousands of miles to visit your beautiful country? What about the morality and integrity for the tourists that pay a lot of money to visit your beautiful beaches?
Tourism is the number one money maker, without that, I would hate to think!
Instead of being resistant, and only reading what you want to read and turn it around, this is to bennifit your hotel only! Truth sometimes is hard to swallow.
These reviews seem to fall through the cracks, and get managements backs up!
This was not intended. All of these things can be fixed. Have more garbage containers on the beach with the bags in them. Keep Atlantico clean!
I know the management will not like this review, but it is Truthful and honest. I am very sad that this wonderful little spot is crying for help, and no one gives a damn. Hurt feelings are getting in the way. Love the little hotel, sad to say goodbye forever!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
ottawa ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I spent a week at this Hotel 2 years ago and even though it wasn
t fancy I didn't mind it at all.
I'll start by saying I was happy with the sevice at Atlantico. My travelling companion has been to the Hotel several times in the past which no doubt made a difference with the reception and the all around service we received. Service from us gets 2 thumbs up. I would like to make special mention to Jorge at the Beach who took good care of us. Also Allen, a young man who promotes the shows etc... He speaks english, French and a little Italian. He is a genuine nice young man. Cuban authentico.
Our room was as others have described. In need of updating and renovations but fine. Air conditioning worked, bedding clean, hot water and blow dryer.
The food on the other hand was sub standard this trip with the exception of the chicken and turkey which was always great. Some days were better than others but on average not good.
Sorry cooks. If you want to serve tough beef you need to cooks it for hours and add some onions and garlic. As suggested by others bring hot sauce and black pepper or your favorite spice.
I was not sure if I was staying in a Hotel or a Brothel. This Hotel is full of very old men with Cuban prostitutes. (Jinateras) I'm not closed mined but seeing Great Gramps with girls of 20 was disturbing. All week the hotel was filled with single men 40 and up who were in Cuba for the purpose of buying inexpensive sex with young women. If the sex industry is going to be so open and casual in Cuba then maybe there should be hotels specifically designated for that purpose. Then anyone who doesn't want to see it isn't forced to be exposed to it. If you don't want to see this don't go to this hotel or the other one on this beach. I heard it was worse.

I understand that the Hotel doesn't own the beach and Cubans can sit on the beach front. I get that. I'm not going to mince words here. The Cuban people left the beach in disgrace. Garbage everywhere. Beer cans, plastic wrap, cups, diapers, broken glass you name it. When I wanted to go to the ocean I had to step through garbage and people. As well, anyone could cut through the Hotel property to get to the beach. There were two police officers there on the weekend but they were looking out over the ocean or talking.
I spoke to some Cubans and they said the usual " es Cuba" with a shrug. It's shameful to see garbage down the beach for miles and from top to bottom. No such thing as a nice after dinner walk. A truck came along on Wednesday ( we were leaving Thursday) to pick it up just in time for the following weekend garbage fest. The pool was also cluttered with plasic cups and straws even though there were garbage bags right there.
When the beach is clean this is an ideal location. Taxi into the city 15 CUC.

Lastly, If you are single women travelling together be prepared to be harrassed. It is non stop and forceful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Infodireccion, Director General at Gran Caribe Club Atlantico, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
It's a shame that our hotel did not meet your expectations and I appreciate your comments about the negatives he found, it alerts us to pay more attention.

We get your opinion on cleaning the beach to the attending agencies since according to the Constitution of the Republic beaches are free and although we remain working daily clean face on this we have impossible to cover the whole territory of Santa Maria .

We regret that the image of our clients with comments left degraded because everyone who lived with you during your stay at our facility are guests respectable and as such deserve respect. Each appraisal is personal and accepted. Although I inform you that there are other reviews, opinions and comments that do not match your criteria on the establishment. However, I find an adult reasonable to offend the guests who do not even know or knew of them deliberate malicious falsehoods affecting morality and integrity of our clients, our security personnel and security means that there at the facility so it can be possible hosting of any individual who meets the conditions required to be a guest of an All Inclusive.

Halifax
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This was probably a gorgeous resort 40 years ago. If you are looking for a fancy place with modern decor and new furniture and amenities, this place isn't for you. Book Varadero.

However, if you are looking for a great little beach resort and want to spend several days exploring the incredible city of Havana and don't mind some chipped paint, dated furniture, etc. then this place is for you.

Typical Cuban food, kinda boring and bland, bring some garlic salt and hot sauce and you'll be fine. The resort staff are sweet people... OFarrill at the lobby bar is a lovely man and Graciela in the Buffet is the nicest woman. The only downside to our stay were the pool bar staff...they are the meanest ladies I have ever met and I dont understand why. Avoid at all costs.

Go to the Lobby Bar. We sat in the breezeway and chatted with Canadians before dinner and amused ourselves with some of the Eastern European 'rent a date' scenarios. The security is top notch and we always felt safe here. The rooms were very very dated, curtains were kind of shabby and worn but we had lots of hot water, clean sheets and towels and HBO & CNN for that one rainy day. The Grill Restaurant at the beach - unfortunately only open for lunch - had the best food and view.The beach is gorgeous and clean and the 3 free daily shuttles into Havana were air conditioned and on time. The a la carte restaurant wasn't anything to get excited about but there is a convenience store for bottled water (there is none provided) but the little fridge worked fine and lobby bar staff didnt mind filling up our water bottles we brought.

If you want beach and city without actually staying in Havana...this is the best resort along the Playa Del Este strip

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Infodireccion, Director General at Gran Caribe Club Atlantico, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear customer:

It is a pleasure to know that our facility despite not being a modern and new construction have made your stay enjoyable. We regret that some deficiencies encountered by you not being communicated to the address at the time as many of you here mentioned solution could have had during their visit at the Atlantic Hotel.

It is a pleasure to inform him that we are working on remodeling 20 rooms in comfort and maintenance. The address placed pictures on this site for the observed. It has also opened in the Lobby Bar Mini cash point of sale items that the AI does not offer to promote the client as 6 bottles of 500ML of water by 2.00 CUC among others. Besides several offers for the fridge room paid Folder and comes stocked by the Lobby Bar.

greetings;
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had reserved for 15 days and I left after one week. Old furniture of the 50's in the room relatively small. The ceiling of the bathrroom leaked, they had to change me room in the middle of the night. The other rooms bath was clogged up and they fixed that. Then one morning, no hot water, they fixed that too. The food is ordinary, the waiters very slow on service. Frankly, I have nothing positive to say about this hotel. But I know some people can stand that.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Gran Caribe Club Atlantico? Share your experiences!