My husband, I and another couple just spent a week at Buddy Dive Resort. We all dove and since this was our 2nd trip to Bonaire we already were aware of accomodations (last time we spent at Captain Don's). Our biggest "challenge" was with the arrival--we had a red eye flight that arrived at 05:00; upon arrival to the resort at 06:30, no staff were present at the reception area until 07:00. We did not get into our room until noon (others from our flight were still waiting for rooms at 7 PM).
We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom unit with kitchen, and a large balcony overlooking the shore. The kitchen was fine. The balcony had lots of room for all equipment and great seating area.
As previously mentioned by another reviewer--rooms were tiled and cleaned very well daily. My husband and I really enjoyed our bed--at some resorts (out of the US) the beds are too soft/lumpy. Towels were so so..A/C was cool some times and not as much other times..but not a big deal.
The breakfast buffet was ok.. (eggs, although bacon was limited w/lots of grease!, fruit, freshly baked bread, cold-cuts, cheese etc.) We would agree that some of the Dutch staff were formal at times, then friendly at other times. The local staff is more customer friendly. We found this to be the case at the Pool Bar area.
Boat Dive ops: There was a large dive group present during the time we were there and they apparently took at least 1 of the boats--leaving only 1 for the other guests. We took advantage of only 1 of our 6 boat dives--we had wanted to visit Klein Bonaire - remember to ask in advance if the boats are going there..although you may be told as we were that decision of where to dive is only made when on board!! We had signed up for a dive on a Tuesay morning (10:30) and by 11, when the boat had still not returned, we cancelled and were a bit peeved as we felt this was a waste of a shore diving opp. We were told that on Tuesdays--Hilma Hooker diving all times and at times the boats are delayed (by no more than 30 minutes) due to the Hooker popularity. We ended up diving at the Hilma Hooker and found it deserted at 11:30..great dive!
On the boat the staff does NOT help with the gear. Klein Bonaire was a 15 min to the site. We were not offered any refreshments although we saw them being loaded. We also wondered why only 1 tank boat dives and not 2?
For shore dives, Buddy has a "drive through" tank station where you can pick up full tanks, and drop off empty ones if you shore dive. At times we were assisted by the staff but usually, we handled our own tanks.
We had visited both resturants last year and found this time , the food at Lions Den was not as tasty as last year. We bought some food at the near by (downtown) supermarket and loaded up on sandwich fixins' to last us between dives and ate in town most of the evenings..Papaya Moon was a great place (see review)..lots of the other places had great fresh fish and local flavor.
We would definitely return to Buddy Dive as we are avid divers. Oh, by the way, make plans to visit the Park up North--we had 2 graet shore dives there w/out many other divers around!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience Bonaire and Buddy Dive Resort. An unhurried, unspoiled natural paradise offering spectacular sunsets, gentle breezes and crystal clear, turquoise waters. Buddy's is a resort where you can DIVE DIVE DIVE, take part in a multitude of activities or just sit back, relax and enjoy the atmosphere. At Buddy Dive, we're known for our casual atmosphere, personable staff, spacious accommodations and a dive operation that has something for every diver: comfortable boats, complete rental and retail center, exceptional staff, and a unique "Drive Thru" with a two-lane air/nitrox fill station. No matter which apartment you are staying in, you're never further than a giant stride away from our popular and lively house reef which is perfect for diving and snorkeling, day and night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your Buddy Dive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buddy Dive Kralendijk
- Buddy Dive Hotel Kralendijk
- Buddy Dive Bonaire/Kralendijk