I was skeptical with some of the reviews posted here but I noticed that a lot of seasoned divers kept returning to Buddy Dive so I decided to go with BD. It was a perfect choice for us! My husband and I are pretty seasoned divers and have gone many places in the Caribbean. You really cannot get so uptight over a little mold in the bathroom or the fact there are no outlets in the bathroom. This is not the states and the standards are not as high as ours. I found Buddy Dive to be an excellent place to stay compared to where we have been before.
The resort completely caters to the diver for an awesome experience. The drive-through air tank station was so convenient and made the shore diving extremely easy. They included a car in the dive package which was very reasonable and was nice to have. Get the breakfast option in your package. Their breakfast was very good and plenty of food to get you started for a dive day. Most of the time my husband and I didn't even eat lunch because we were full from our omletes.
Our room was very clean and overlooked the ocean and the pool and was very convenient to the dive shop (room 714). We had a one bedroom with a full kitchen and airconditioning was in both the bedroom and the main room. There were no bedbugs whatsoever! Once in awhile you might find a mosquito but we brought bug spray so there was no problem at all with insects as long as you spray yourself before you go out at night.
I read a few complaints about the service on here but I thought the service was excellent except for the main bar. Everyone in the dive shop and the dive store and photoshop were very helpful and extremely nice. The service at the main bar was slow and they weren't overly anxious to come over to you and ask for your drink order. Sometimes I got the feeling that their English was not that great and they avoided getting into any long conversations. Anyway, we are on island time! One time our lunch was taking too long and we had to leave to catch our boat without eating. They completely apologized and seemed very sincere about it. They have a Happy Hour every day from 5:30 to 6:30 and all drinks are half price. They had a free rum punch party on Friday night with live music that was totally fun!!
I thought maybe the slow service was a Dutch tradition but actually the service in town was excellent. We didn't eat out much because the food at Buddy's was very good, however we did go to the City Cafe which we thought was wonderful food and great service.
If you love seafood dishes and want to try something different there is a Peruvian restaraunt downtown that was incredible! I have never tasted calamari so fresh! It is called Plazita Limena. Get the Ceviche as an appetizer. You won't regret it!
Overall, I loved Bonaire and Buddy Dive. Bonaire was much cheaper than Grand Cayman or even Turks. Their currency is fixed at 1.77 dollar to 1.0 (gilder?) Given the current dollar situation, this is a total bargain! The food is excellent on the island which is hard to find sometimes in the caribbean, and especially Mexico.
If you are looking for nightlife we found a bar on Friday night that was sooo much fun. It is called Little Havana and is downtown. It is a cigar bar but around 10pm it turns into a total dance place with a live DJ. It was a blast!! The Dutch were very friendly to us and it always amazes me how much people from other countries know about the states.
In summary, if you need a covenience store with cheap merchandise and a spa you will probably never use then Buddy Dive is not for you. If you are here to dive and want a great experience with a lot of convenience for your diving, good restaraunts and a clean resort then I would recommend this place to you.
- Also Known As:
- Buddy Dive Kralendijk
- Buddy Dive Hotel Kralendijk
- Buddy Dive Bonaire/Kralendijk
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience Bonaire and Buddy Dive Resort. An unhurried, unspoiled natural paradise offering spectacular sunsets, gentle breezes and crystal clear, turquoise waters. Buddy's is a resort where you can DIVE DIVE DIVE, take part in a multitude of activities or just sit back, relax and enjoy the atmosphere. At Buddy Dive, we're known for our casual atmosphere, personable staff, spacious accommodations and a dive operation that has something for every diver: comfortable boats, complete rental and retail center, exceptional staff, and a unique "Drive Thru" with a two-lane air/nitrox fill station. No matter which apartment you are staying in, you're never further than a giant stride away from our popular and lively house reef which is perfect for diving and snorkeling, day and night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Tingo, EasyToBook, Travelocity, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Buddy Dive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.