“Simple but elegant, a great place for dive vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Captain Don's Habitat
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   103 Kaya Gobernador Debrot, Kralendijk, Bonaire   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Kralendijk
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Simple but elegant, a great place for dive vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Simple but elegant. If you want to enjoy some. O the best diving on the planet - no hype - captain Dons delivers in spades. this isn't the Hyatt or Hilton or sandals dropped down in another country. Captain Dons is a wonderful oceanside treat where premium diving is breakfast, lunch and dinner if you want it to be.

The staff were friendly and attentive, our maid magically appeared while we were at breakfast no matter when we ate. The room renovations in the junior suite were perfect for keeping snacks and drinks back from a great day of diving and snorkeling. Some of the best snorkeling was right at sunset off the hotel dock.

If I had a dive group, I'd bring them here. It's our second visit and doesn't disappoint.

Room Tip: Go for the junior suite unless you want to be near the pool. (We never went to the pool.)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have been to Captain Don's about 7 times already. We love to come back here all the time. The room we stayed in were the newer rooms. They were clean, comfortable and plenty of space. however, I did hear the older rooms were neglected and in need of repairs or updating. The bar area is always fun. The bartenders (Calvin and Jason) made you laugh.. And kept you entertained. The restaurant food was good. They do need to get bar food besides pizza. The appetizer list needs improving. The diving was very good. The people were great.

Room Tip: pick rooms 28 - 50
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Colbert, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I just came back from Captain Don's Habitat and brought a group of 27 with me. This is the thrid time I've brought groups there. Once we had 49 in our group. Plus some in my group has been to Captain Don's 5 or 6 times. Each time they handled the groups great. I've never had any problems with the resort or the dive shop. If anyone in our group needed anything they went to the front desk and it was taken care of or to Roger at the dive shop. Our rooms were clean with fresh towels daily. As far as mosquitoes it had been raining for the whole week before we arrived and there was still standing water on the island but if you wore bug spray there was no problem. There is a store 5 minutes away where you can get bug spray also.
The diving was great as always and the house reef has everything you want to see. I will be back and bringing another group. I feel that if there is any problem a person should address it while there not come home and complain.

Room Tip: We stayed in the new JR Suites which have amazing views and wonderful beds. Room #50 on the second f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We did not stay at Dive Habitat, but used the dive services as part of our package from Coral Paradise Resort (located adjacent to Cap'n Don's). The orientation was somewhat limited, basically where to buy your parks permit, how to sign up for boat dives, the air-tank policy. However, too many employees smoking in the dive shop (come on, guys, we're here to enjoy the tropical climate, not breath your cigarette fumes!).

The dive shop has a nice reef out back to get aquainted with the area and dive equipment. We rented our BCD, regulator & fins thru the rental shop. The equipment is in need of some serious updating: BCD velcro and pockets torn, regulator leaked and finally had to be replaced, fins were ok. Probably not a priority for the dive shop, as most divers had their own equipment. There were always plenty of full tanks available for use and plenty of fresh rinse water and outdoor showers.

The shore dive out back of Cap'n Don's is nice and convenient, the dock is good for entry and the reef is perfect for a night dive. The boats are basic, but since most dive sites are within 10-15 minutes of the shop, no problem here. The dive masters preach diving freedom, so they allow divers to dive on their own terms. DM reviewed the dive profile and we always had a DM leading the group, but were told we didn't have to follow him. Probably not the outfit to use for beginner divers as not much instruction from DM. My only complaint was that one boat and two dive masters were reserved for a dive group, so you couldn't sign up for those dives, even though the boat was not full. I understand that the dive groups are big business, but don't limit the choices for individual divers.

Not a bad dive outfit for our first visit to Bonaire, but would probably research other dive operations for a return visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

First I will give the positives: the shore diving is good.

Next let me tell you the negatives:
The hotel staff really need some improvement. Especially the housekeeping service. They give you two very old, stained towels and a floor towel. No washcloth, no hand towel. I asked 4 times to get additional towels and they did not bring them. I actually had to walk to housekeeping and grab towels myself. Front desk attendants told me they tried to call housekeeping and the staff in housekeeping never pick up the phone. At one point, the room above us had flooded. We had to use our towels to clean up some of the water that made it down to our room. I asked housekeeping to get towels for me and they told me that room service had already been provided that day so the 2 towels would not be refreshed, even though I told them I used it to wipe up some of the water that came into our room.
The bathrooms were stocked with one small bar of soap. No shampoo. All the people in my travel group had to go buy their own. The beds are rock hard and have only a sheet under the dirty bedspread. I asked at least 4 times to have a blanket provided. I even waited for the housekeeping to come into the room and asked her for one. I tipped her $10 just to get me one... and she never did bring one. Linens are never changed unless you strip the bed yourself. The floors are dirty and for some reason lots of dirty little holes/spots all over the tile. I saw at least two cockroaches. The sliding glass doors and entry door to the room have flimsy locks. The rooms are dirty and housekeeping sloppily mop the room. You must pay $6 to use the room safe. I had no ice bucket in the room, and when I told the front desk, the guy just shrugged his shoulders.

The waitstaff at the restaurant (Rum Runners) are slow and downright rude. People who work there do not look happy and if a small request is made, they give you a look like they are being inconvenienced. The breakfast buffet is blah. The menu gets old and the food and drinks are overpriced. You have to deal with a bunch of large iguanas trying to crawl on you to get food during the day. I saw a bird suck its head in the syrup dispenser.

As far as the boat dives and dive staff go... again, they need improvement. One of the ladies in our group was trying to get open water certified and one of the instructors told her how many people had died under his guidance during their certification. She was scared to go back out and get her certification. This is diving operation that is for experienced divers. The dive briefs on the boats are extremely limited, and the divemaster vanishes underwater. I did not have ONE dive where the divemaster led the group. The dive staff are very unhelpful overall. Nothing is provided for on the boat except water.

A bunch of us in the group went next door to Buddy Dive Resort to eat. The food there was good and cheap. The staff were friendly and helpful. The resort grounds were much better kept up and the rooms looked much nicer. I spoke with several people who stayed there and they were very happy. Apparently, people who stayed there also had a rental truck included in their stay. The cost apparently is about the same as what I paid for at Captain Don's from the conversations I had. If I ever get back to Bonaire again, I would definitely check out the Buddy Dive resort OR another resort in the area.

To summarize, the place is dirty and run down. The security of the rooms is poor. The housekeeping staff are horrible. The other staff provide poor service. The diving safety and guidance for newer divers is nonexistent. Check out another place.

If you do go, there are quite a number of restaurants in the downtown area that are very good. I especially loved "Between two Buns" deli just a short way from the dive resort. Excellent sandwiches.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Marin County, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Loved the dive part of resort. Couldn't get fresh towels daily no matter how often we asked. Floor in room dirty, never cleaned. Sheets not changed. Yuck. No bug spray in store and mosquitoes were bad. Next time will stay at Buddy's next door.

• Stayed December 2012
Hayward, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Before I went I checked previous reviews and there were some concerns. The new dive master, Roger, has turned things around. The dive shop ran perfectly and we always had as many full tanks as we wanted. The shore diving is incredible all over the island but wear bug repellent for the northern sites. Dove several wrecks and did 2 night dives; one with the UV lights. It was amazing. The breakfasts which were included were great but go early because they run out of certain items. The room was comfy and the villas looked fantastic. Pool was warm and spotless and Calvin the bartender is very funny. Captain Don is a "hoot" and you meet him at the Monday night rum party. Went with a group of 11 and we all had alot of fun. Three of the best restaurants were Osaka, It Rains Fishes and Paradise Moon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Captain Don's Habitat? Share your experiences!