“Dive Friends South took GREAT care of us!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: We're a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center on the island of Bonaire - "Diver's Paradise!" With 8 locations around the island, you won't have to travel far to pick up or drop off tanks, get advice about good shore dive sites, sign up for dive training, shop for cool new gear or just relax with a cold drink and meet some new dive buddies.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Dive Friends South took GREAT care of us!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

This review is a little overdue.
A girlfriend and I visited Bonaire for the first time in Feb 2013. We stayed at the Hotel Rochaline (which I cannot recommend enough) and happened upon Dive Friends while exploring on our first day. Tim immediately had us laughing and made us feel like old friends.
We then visited the shop almost daily for our diving needs. (My friend was diving and I was snorkeling.) They always had exactly what we wanted, in great condition and at the right price. We went on a boat dive on our second day and I enjoyed visiting with Charlie and Rob while the divers were off exploring. Such nice men.
Jamie, Gordon and Alex all served us a different times. Jamie is adorable and Gordon, a Texan, is a hoot. (So as not to hurt his feelings, I'll say Gordon is adorable too, in a cowboy sort of way.)
I came to the island thinking that diving is for fools, and ended the week on my first ever 40 ft dive with Alex! He is exactly the sturdy Dutchman you want with you underwater. Not only was he an excellent and patient instructor, he also offered thoughtful post-dive advice such as, "You do not need to tell your instructor when you are peeing in your wet suit," (This was a case of him misunderstanding my improvised underwater hand signs.) We never did get to meet the shop dog.
I can't wait to return to Bonaire for so many reasons but especially to visit the lovely folks at Dive Friends. Thank you for making us feel welcome!

Visited February 2013

Lakeland, Florida
“Dive Friends Bonaire!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We visited Bonaire (May 2013) and stayed at the Shores Residence (http://www.vrbo.com/279901). Dive Friends was only a 2 minute walk down the street. The staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The diving in Bonaire is mostly accessible from the shore. All you have to do is drive around the island and look for the Yellow rocks. These rocks point you to the dive sites. Basically the entire shoreline is a dive site, but the Yellow rocks are named and there is literature available at Dive Friends that explains each dive site as well as staff members who are happy to give their opinion of the local dive sites. We had one unique request and that was to dive locations where we would have a great chance of seeing Tarpon. Dive Friends pointed us to a few different spots, each of which had tarpon swimming around them. We will return to Dive Friends.
I forgot to mention that we rented tanks and one member of our party rented the works. A one tank was $16 and a 2 tank rental with free air all day was $30. I don't know what it cost for an entire package. I had my own gear. I think they also have weekly packages. Check out Dive Friends on the web.
I also must mention that they offer certification courses. One person in our party got his open water certification while on the trip. He was the only person in the class and his "pool sessions" and checkout dive were all on the beautiful Caribbean reef in front of Dive Friends. The price was the same as if he'd taken the course in the states.

Utah
43 attraction reviews
“Fantastic dive operator”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

These guys make diving Bonaire extremely easy. They have five shops scattered across the island, which makes swapping tanks for shore diving really convenient. We were based at the Sand Dollar location, where we were given secure outdoor lockers and a code to the tank lockers. We loved being to access gear and tanks at any time of the day or night. Nitrox was free and the dive shop had all the little things we needed, such as coffee in the morning, cold drinks, and parts and accessories. The staff was really friendly and helpful too.

Boat dives are done from the Yellow Sub location near town, and we liked that these guys boat dive the north area on a day when most other shops are diving Klein. Rappel in the north is a must-dive. They run a couple of boats, both of which were safe and comfortable. There is little truly dry space though, so I recommend bringing a dry bag. Captains and DMs were great too - letting us follow the guide or run our own profile. However, shore diving on Bonaire is so fantastic, we didn't want to do more than a few boat dives.

They can also hook you up with dives on the east side and specialty dives, like lionfish hunting. I would definitely dive with these guys again.

Katy, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“They have the perfect name”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Everyone is so friendly and helpful. We have always enjoyed the hospitality over the last several years of visits but the amenities just keep getting better as they keep upgrading at all of their locations. We mainly use the weekly unlimited Nitrox package which couldn't be easier with a drive through bay. They freely give all the advice you ask for and put the emphasis on you having the best experience as possible. We also enjoyed taking a snorkel tour with them to Klein Bonaire on the day before our flight. Sebastian at the Hamlet Oasis sight also helped us to focus on the important stuff, like forgetting which day it was, as a top priority. Great service recognized!

8 attraction reviews
“Excellent instructors and service!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My daughter and her boyfriend signed up with Dive Friends Bonaire for their PADI certification and open water dive. They did the e learning online prior to the trip. The staff at Dive Friends were extremly friendly, competent and thorough. My daughter was a little leary of diving, but Nick was such a good instructor, she ended up loving it. It was a full two days of training and they covered absolutely everything and came out with confidence and an appreciation of the marine life and reef systems. Ilsa pretty much runs the location at Yellow Submarine and was so easy to work with and is very friendly. You can rent tanks by the day and at the end of your trip, settle up with them. They basically keep an "open tab" for you. I highly recommend them for their knowledge, service and friendliness.