“Best beach ever” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Beaches, Outdoors
“Best beach ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I love taking my son here and would recommend this beach to anyone. Just be careful and have plenty sunblock if you don't rent a beach chair

London
4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful beach, best enjoyed in low season”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've been a regular visitor to Accra Beach for twenty years and it's one of my favourite Barbadian South Coast beaches. A long white sandy beach, fringed with Palm trees, washed by the beautiful Caribbean Sea. In recent years, the increasingly popularity of this beach with tourists holidaying in the numerous nearby hotels means that it can sometimes be overcrowded with sun loungers and sun seekers. Beach vendors used to be a real problem here, but the Barbados Tourism Authority seem to have put a lot of effort into dealing with this, and while there are always some die-hardship, I've encountered very few here in recent times. If you do want to buy sarongs, sundresses, etc, you can do so from the vendor stands that are located off of the beach. Very helpfully, there are shower areas, and the very excellent tiki bar at the eastern end of the beach serves great cocktails and local Banks beers, as well as delicious burgers, fresh fish, sweet potato fries, etc - all helped down with some great reggae music and generally friendly service. The sea here is beautifully warm, and for the most part, shallow and quite safe. However, the seas to the western end can be dangerous for the uninitiated. The currents and undertow can be very strong, and I have witnessed more than one near drowning. I also know of at least two actual drownings that happened here in recent times. There is a lifeguard station, but very often the lifeguards are not present until around 9.00 or even later in the morning, and so warning flags are not put out until then, and it's very common for swimmers to be out on the beach much earlier. Even when red flags are posted, the deceptively calm appearance can and does fool the unwary and so swimmers need to take heed of warning flags. There's a very good reason why some locals call that part of the sea The Graveyard. This is in no way intended to be alarmist. Accra Beach is one of the best-loved south coast beaches and for very good reason. If you can tear yourself away from the loungers, as well as the tiki bar, there is a small mall nearby - think it is called Quayside - with food kiosks, boutiques, souvenir stores, a convenience store etc. Great restaurants abound in this very popular area, which is near to public transport (local buses stop right by the beach) as well as coconut water sellers, souvenir sellers and a taxi stand. The eastern start of the much-loved Hastings Boardwalk is also located here. Accra beach is a wonderful spot for everyone, whether you're a family, a honeymooning couple or a group of friends. I'm not into spending time on sun loungers but I walk or run along this beach just about everyday whenever I'm in Barbados and even after 20 years, it's still a favourite of mine.

Knoxville, Tennessee
24 attraction reviews
“A Beautiful Beach Away from...Most Tourists”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

On June 12th, my wife and I took a trip to Barbados Island as part of our Southern Caribbean cruise. We decided to take our chances by finding a random, local tour without any pre-planning. Of course, this decision was riddled with risk entering an unknown port.

Getting off the ship, we entered a cruise terminal mall area that led us by the visitor center in Bridgetown, Barbados. The receptionist at the desk informed us that we could get a 2 hour tour of the island for $25 per person.

If we wanted to spend some time at the beach, the cost would be extra; someone would drop us off and pick us up. Well, I did not like the idea of being dropped off by someone who I didn’t know (I figured the person might find another tourist who was willing to give him more and forget to pick us up at the beach).

We pressed onward through the mall and outside of the building. There were several taxis, awaiting potential customers from the cruise ship. We expected the local harassment as part of the port cycle. The first person offered us an island tour, but he was higher than the visitor center’s tour.

After hearing his pitch, we walked away from him. Another taxi driver came and pitched a better offer. We listened. We accepted this offer because it was less and provided us what we desired (a limited island tour plus beach time).

Sadly, our potential tour guide was called to another location, and she handed us off to another driver. (We weren’t happy about that but trusted the driver). In hindsight, I feel it is probably better to break off the deal and start over.

The tour guide was named Noel (Noel’s Taxi Service, 246-831-3692). He was a Barbados native and very knowledgeable of the island. In fact, he discussed his travels across the United States including Tennessee (where we lived). He was going to provided us a mini tour of the island (Southern area) for about 2 hours including beach time.

As we moved through the crowded streets, Noel pointed out key landmarks and discussed the political climates as well as culture matters. We saw the Chamberlain Bridge which was a draw-bridge for boats. Yet, the highlight for us was our beach time. Noel promised not to leave us; he would be watching out for us. That was a huge statement for me. We left our valuables in the car.

Noel took us to a less touristic beach called Accra Beach. Carlisle Bay Beach is where most tourists go because it is the closest to the cruise terminal. Carlisle Beach is beautiful with calm waves and clear water. There are plenty of shops near to accommodate smart shopping and eating.

At Accra Beach, we felt safe. However, Noel advised us not both get in the water at the same time (there was always someone who sought to rob tourists of their happiness…aka rob them). This caution kept me on guard while my wife enjoyed herself in the water. I enjoyed laying on the beach…in peace and quiet. We had tons of fun.

If you are going to select a random tour for locals, I would suggest listening to several offers to get the best value. Yet, any island tour in the Caribbean is no good if you don’t get any beach time (in my humble opinion). Furthermore, I encourage you to go with your gut instinct if you do not feel comfortable with a vendor.

Barbados is an incredible with beautiful beaches. With that said, I would highly recommend Accra Beach for the savvy tourists, coming to Bridgetown, Barbados.

New York City, New York
9 attraction reviews
“great beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

great beach for family & kids, good sand quality, clean, nice blue water, you can find local food , calm waters. spent the whole day there

Visited December 2013
Provo, Utah
5 attraction reviews
“Great Little Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Having stayed across the street, this is the only beach we visited while on the island.
It feels small, but is big enough that you don't feel crowded. The sand and water are pristine, with just enough surf to keep things interesting.
There are bars and restaurants as well as facilities at the beach. This is a great place to go if you are planning on spending the entire day at the beach.