“Am I in the same hotel?” 2 of 5 stars

You added Accra Beach Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Rockley | PO Box 73W, Barbados   |
West Sussex
“Am I in the same hotel?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I've read the previous reviews and wondered if i'd stayed at the same hotel!
My opionion, is this hotel is overpriced and lacks atmosphere.
I had an 'Island view' room which basically means it looks out over hotel reception and car park onto busy road and unattractive buildings. Even with 2 sets of patio doors the traffic noise woke me. Its not a pleasant outlook at all. I guess the only advantage is that the rooms the beach side have to put up with the current building work - it seems they are completely stripping and renovating the main restaurant and there is constant noise from sawing and building work. This was not mentioned at check in. I'm guessing also that the closure of this restaurant explains why meals are served in an alternative area. My experience here wasn't great, the restaurant host seemed only keen on telling me how much everything would cost and getting my reassurance that if I committed to a continental buffet I wouldn't eat anything from the full menu buffet. I was then seated at a single table (fine) with my back to the views and everything else in the restaurant. I would have moved but the other chair was covered in food.
Check in was quick, but lacked any hospitality and I was left to manage my case on my own to my room (single female traveller). Corridors are dark and seemed to carry a lot of noise late in the evening.The room was dark, with only 2 table lamps to light the room and only one of those worked - there were no privacy curtains only big wooden shutters so to get dressed these have to remain closed (car park / road outside). Room service food (as I arrived just as restaurant closed at 9:30) could have been tasty, but was stone cold.
This was only my second trip to Barbados and this time I was here on business - but was looking at this hotel as a possible future holiday destination later in the year - we previously stayed at Couples, St Lawrence Gap. This hotel does not compare and in my opinion is way over priced. I definately won't return

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

660 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Montreal QC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Accra is in a great location on a beautiful beach. They have great staff, an awesome pool bar, pool and the rooms are good. Went with the ocean view this time and was not disappointed.

If you're looking for a good location to experience Barbados, especially if you're a first timer, I highly recommend. To me, Barbados is all about location. You want to have a lot of things within walking distance and plentiful public transit and cabs, this is the place to be for that. To top it off the Accra Beach Hotel is a great place to go.

Three times running now and never once had any issues with check-in. It was always prompt and friendly service. This time around we went off the resort a lot more but that isn't Accra's fault, unfortunately for them, they're on the best island in the world and there's much to do and explore. :)

All in all, we had a great honeymoon and Accra is a great place to have as a base. It's a very conveniently located hotel. All I think they should do is improve the wifi and get better TV service with more channels, some nights I just wanted to relax and watch some TV and more choice would've been awesome but hey, you're in Barbados so not the end of the world.

Thanks again Accra for a wonderful stay. See my other reviews for more detail!

Room Tip: Get pool view at the bare minimum
Barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I want to take this time to thank the outstanding support and team effort and hard work. I wish to commend Janice from Reservations, Tonisha, Cherry Anne & Carl from Reception, Gabriel from Activities desk, Shemal from the Restaurant and Maylene from housekeeping. For their exceptional support to my personal development ,maintaining high standards in regards to themselves and customer service satisfaction.
I want to express my appreciation in the excellent service portrayed by Janice as I observe her when I have a chance she is always very helpful .
Tonisha, Cherry Anne, Carl & Gabriel whose superior performance and deliverance of their duties while on duty. Their unwavering determination, friendliness, sense of duty and exceptional effort of being the first impression of The Accra Beach Hotel & Spa experience is an exceptional effort, their contributes in making the Front Desk team run smoothly they know where to take charge of any bad situation and turn it into a remarkable experience.
Finally Shemal and Maylene are always a pleasure to work with their organization skills, creativity and knowledge makes invaluable members of the Restaurant and Housekeeping team, They are always very helpful and friendly!!!
They all are great assets to The Accra Beach Hotel & Spa organization. I would hope that persons who see negative things on trip advisor would not turn away from going to this hotel, sometimes people would say all sorts of negative things just because they were not given the high standards that they were looking for.
In my opinion The Accra Beach Hotel & Spa staff are very well trained and efficient in the delivering of their duties and management ensures all staff are on point and the hotel is well run, I am looking forward to be back soon and to see my seven most outstanding staff that I have mentioned above that made my holiday the most enjoyable one ever. Thanks a million from rooms 317 and 327.

Room Tip: The Ocean View Room Are very Nice!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
tineau, General Manager at Accra Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Nicholas,
I am very pleased to hear about the positive impact made by some of our team members during your recent stay with us. All the persons whom you highlighted continue to be service ambassadors and we are very proud of their ongoing contribution in delivering memorable experiences for our guests like yourself.
We look forward to being your host once more when you return.
Jon Martineau
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed at Accra for 10 nights in September and found this hotel really lovely. It's located in a perfect spot for getting out and about in Barbados. We found the local Reggae buses were extremely cheap at only $2 (Barbados dollars) to go to St Lawrence Gap, Bridgetown or Oistins. we also used the blue government bus which you can catch just down the road from the hotel to visit Holetown and Spightstown. You will never struggle to eat out around any of these areas as you will be spoilt for choice as there are lots of variety to suit everyone's tastes.
Hotel is located right on Rockley beach which is absolutely stunning.
There is a small supermarket just opposite the hotel which is really useful for getting bits and bobs. Chilly Moos ice cream parlour is also opposite which is definitely worth a visit!!
Overall we would highly recommend this hotel...rooms clean, friendly staff, gardens well kept and very conveniently located. Would definitely return to the beautiful island of Barbados.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 8 day conference and had an amazing stay
Fantastic beach location that wasn't bumper to bumper people
Walk out the front and across the road is a brilliant coffee/espresso hut where all the locals go
"Great"

• Stayed November 2012
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent a week at Accra with my family and i must say that the location is a plus! The beach is to die for and the pools are great. They have a kids' club which my 5 year old daughter loves and I think that it is a great idea. I was a bit disappointed with the rooms though....I found that the standard room was overpriced and there was no microwave. The rooms were more business oriented and not family friendly. A few days after we arrived the safe stopped working and it was never addressed. The shower was very slippery when wet and i found this to be very dangerous especially as there is a slight decline because of the style of the shower (there are no walls enclosing the shower), so we had to put a towel on the floor when taking a shower. I was especially fearful for my daughter. Maybe they should consider putting skid proof tiles. I don't think the staff were all that friendly....seemed more mechanical. There was one person who was very pleasant and genuinely helpful though....one of the hostesses at the restaurant Overall Accra has a lot of positives but its the little things that I mentioned that could have made our trip truly memorable. I'm not sure if I would go back there.

Room Tip: Maybe a suite might be better if you can afford it. I think those were the ones that were renovated...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Texas/Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great weekend getaway - room was very nice and clean. Staff very courteous and friendly - helpful as well.

Beach is one of the best, plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas.
Food was good!

Location excellant if you want to venture out to other nearby attractions or restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for Beach Front - 100% view of the ocean and the sound of the ocean makes for the perfect experi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Accra Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!