My husband and I stayed at the Accra Beach Hotel & Spa October 10 thru 17, 2012. Booked our vacation via Jet Blue for an ocean view room and had a great view of the ocean, pool and manicured gardens.
After checking in and being shown to our room by the bellman, we were informed that local calls were $1B’dos per call. I made two successful calls on Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday I attempted to call the same numbers, but got fast busy signals. We assumed there were problems with the telephone lines, since that is a common occurrence in Barbados. However, on Friday we discovered that the line had been restricted. We spoke to the manager on duty, Frank Small, and made it clear that upon check-in we were not informed about the $1B’dos charge, and after being told by the bellman we assumed an itemized bill of telephone charges would be presented at check-out. Mr. Small verified with the front desk that guests are not informed about the phone charges unless they make an inquiry (they were honest). The matter was satisfactorily resolved by us leaving a cash deposit, and knowing that in future, all guests would be advised of the call charges which would be included under incidentals.
Friday a tropical wave passed through Barbados and we were all confined to the resort for the entire day. I decided to make a local call, and discovered that despite leaving a cash deposit the line had again been restricted, and for a second time we were not given prior notice. I called down to the front desk and requested the on duty manager, Trisha Joseph. She informed me that she would investigate and call back. The line was reopened and Ms. Joseph gave an ambivalent excuse about a room number mix up. Despite not being completely satisfied with her explanation we put the incident behind us. In the evening after the rain stopped and the winds diminished a little we decided to sit on our balcony and enjoy a glass of wine. Dear reader I am sure you are sensing a “now what?” Plaster from the Balcony ceiling fell on my head and chair. At this point in time I was not in the right frame of mind to speak to another manager so I waited until Saturday morning. My husband took pictures, and this time the on duty manager, Maria Braithwaite. She was both concerned and apologetic. She immediately had us upgraded to a suite, and followed up with a bottle of sparkling wine. Thankfully the remainder of our stay was uneventful and enjoyable.
No one wants to encounter problems on vacation, but it is the manner in which these problems are resolved that can bring guests back or have them looking for another resort.
- Also Known As:
- Accra Beach Hotel Christ Church
- Accra Beach Hotel And Spa
- Accra Beach Hotel
- Accra Beach Hotel Barbados
- Accra Beach
- Accra Barbados
- Accra Beach Hotel & Spa Barbados/Christ Church Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 3 ½ acre property is ideally located on a pristine sandy beach on the lively South Coast, 20 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes from the picturesque capital, Bridgetown. Accra Beach Hotel & Spa has been awarded hotel of the year by the Barbados Hotel & Tourism Association in 2002 and 2005. All rooms offer panoramic views of the island, pool or ocean. The center-piece of the lush gardens is a large swimming pool complete with swim-up bar for icy cold refreshments or guests can enjoy cocktails in the comfort of the ‘Sand Bar’. Additional treats and light meals during the day are offered on our fig tree and bar snack menus. The resort has its very own Spa. Immerse yourself in the Chakra Spa lifestyle where you will enter a welcoming and tranquil space to thoroughly relax, rejuvenate and heal you. In our haven each service, amenity and detail at Chakra Spa is created specifically for you; our valued and sacred guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Amex, Fareportal , Otel and HotelsClick so you can book your Accra Beach Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.