“First time dive in Barbados” 4 of 5 stars

(246) 228-4785
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Dread Or Dead surf shop is a surfing technical and funtional fashion retail store. We offer surf lessons, tours and board hire/rental through our surf school Surf In Barbados as well as SUP lessons, tours and hire/rental through our SUP shop SUP In Barbados.
“First time dive in Barbados”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Russell picked us up from the hotel, we were 4 of us who had never surfed before. Russell was great, very nice and knowledgable. We had our lesson with Matthew who was also good and very patient. I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able to surf but thanks to Matthews tips it was actually quite easy! The only tough part was paddling back from the shore after surfing the wave but thankfully Russell's 2 boys were so cute and adorable, they kept rescuing me and taking me back so I could practice my surfing. After the lesson, Russell drove us back to the hotel and was so kind to stop on the way back so we could buy coconuts and also sun cream from the supermarket, as we forgot ours on the beach. All in all I would highly recommend the experience.

New Orleans, Louisiana
7 attraction reviews
“Surfing with Matthew was awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Matthew picked us up from the cruise terminal and took us to a great surf spot. Neither of us had surfed before but he was very thorough in teaching us what to do and made us feel comfortable in the water right away. He set us up with the waves, gave us a push off, and told us when to stand up so all we had to do was concentrate on actually catching the wave, which was really nice. I love that it was just me, my husband, and the guide; there were other guides teaching surfing to groups of 5 and 6 people but we loved the 1:2 attention. Afterwards we were starving so he brought us to a really great restaurant (local spot) where we got authentic Barbados food at a good price. He drove us around the island and gave us a lot of history and current info. It was just an all-around fantastic day.

Houston, Texas
“Surf Trip to Barbados”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I can't say enough good things about Russell, Mathew and the guys at Dread or Dead. I had a great time surfing in Barbados and that was in no small part due to Russell. I had a 4 day surf tour and board rental with Dread or Dead and it was money well spent.
First of all the equipment was great and the rates were more than reasonable. Having a local show you around to all the breaks is a huge plus, and it was really inexpensive. I was never lost, I was never wasting time asking for directions, I was never scouring websites checking conditions or tides or anything. I was surfing. Not only did we get more time in the water surfing but we were always in the know on rocks and reefs and what to expect from a break. It was safe, fun, effecient and cheap.
As a teacher Russell is top notch. His years of experience are given succinctly and patiently. I had a great time.
I hope to return to Barbados someday and when I do I will definitely be using Dread or Dead.

Houston, Texas
“Fantastic Time Surfing in Barbados”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just got back from a week long surfing trip to Barbados and have to say that the crew at Dread or Dead Surf Shop are true professionals. Russell spent three full days with us showing us the various breaks and giving us pointers to take us from intermadiates to a higher level of surfing. His advice was spot on. Russell and Matthew, his partner in the shop, do a great job with their clients and I'd highly reccomend them to anyone headed to Barbados.

Toronto
“Birthday SUP and Surf experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Went to Barbados for my birthday and my b-day wish came true. We booked a SUP day with Russell from Dread or Dead Surf Shop and the minute we saw him we knew we were in good hands. He is so personable and very patient! He selected boards for each of us and his partner, Hyper, helped load them up and we were off to Carlisle Bay. Russell paddled with us and gave instruction to one of my friends who wasn't as experienced. With his patient way, she was paddling strong and enjoying the experience in no time at all. He helped me improve my stroke and had some really neat breathing techniques that made a huge difference.
I called him up the next day to ask if he could take us out surfing and he was very accommodating. Two of us had surfed before but it was years since we were out in the waves and another friend never surfed before. He took us to a great beach with gentle waves. Russell was very thorough in explaining safety and surf etiquette and then showed all how to pop up on the boards so we practiced on the sand before hitting the water. Once in the waves, everyone had a turn with Russell's instruction and the fun began...everyone was up and riding the waves. He instructed us on timing and he taught us how to catch the waves on our own. It was so neat to see people who never surfed catch waves right away. Russell is a great instructor and an all around great guy. For anyone wanting to surf...from first timers, beginners or those who want to improve their surfing technique...this is your company to book. I wish we had more days on the island because we all wanted more of this amazing experience!