“Beautiful and Relaxed family vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Bougainvillea Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Maxwell Coast Road, Barbados   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Beautiful and Relaxed family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

This was a beautiful property with friendly staff! We travel 4 to 6 times a year with our 3 young children, age 5, 3, and 1. Our philosophy is travel to new places all the time because life is short and the world is big!

Facilities: Nice pools with a beach front property. We had a one bedroom suite equipped with full kitchen and a large bathroom of 2 sinks. Carribean decor and very well kept units. Daily maid services really made our stay confortable and relaxing. We were located on the ground floor which allowing us to step out of our patio and voila, the pool!

Beach: Gorgeous! ONly 20 foot steps away from our patio after the pool. Except many europeans smoke and dump the cigarette buds on the sand.

Location: I like the quiet setting but yet convenient access to bus. We took local bus, 5 mins walk from the resort, for $0.50 / ride (children were all free so it was a good deal for us). Buses are convient to Bridgetown and Oistins. (every 1/2 minute if you count small buses )

Staff: Friendly and accomodating.

Price: Excellent! I won the auction and paid $450 US for one week of one bedroom. Comes to $65/ night with daily mate services.

Restaurant: They offer management buffet and carribean buffet for about $30-$35 US / adult. COnsidering high cost of EVERYTHING in Barbados, we found it pretty good quality and services. (especially one night the dinner buffet is accompanied by floor show of typical carribbean dances and fire eating. Very entertaining for kids)

One note for those with kids, DON'T BOTHER with the HARBOUR LIGHTS unless you only look for a place to get drunk. OUr kids were starved (bus picked us up at 6:00pm and we had to line up outside for 30 mins to pay and get in evethough everyone had a reservation. NO FOOD still at 8:15pm. We left and asked for a refund. Took a taxi to come back to the resort.)

cheers,

• Liked — Beach and room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Aldie, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

We are a family of four that recently stayed here from June 23rd to the 30th, 2007. Very glad we picked the Bougainvillea! It was very clean, and the staff was very kind and accommodating. If you want a calm sea, this is not the beach for you! The waves never die down and will fill your suit with sand! We really liked it! My children, 7 and 9, boogie boarded in the shallow part of the surf and really enjoyed it. My husband and I loved bobbing over the waves once you got through the breaking point (not easy, as they can easily knock you over!). Your room selection is a key part of staying here. We had a ground floor, one bedroom, deluxe suite right next to the pool with the swim up bar. With the sliding glass doors open, it was easy to hear the surf pounding on the shore. It took us a few nights to get used to the singing tree frogs! There is construction noise from next door, but we only heard it occasionally when we were on the beach. The waves were louder. Again, it's all about room selection. We could leave through the patio door side to go to two pools, the Lanterns restaurant, watersport shack and beach just a short walk away. Or we could leave through the back, key-carded door to get to the other two pools, Waters Edge restaurant, grills, shuffleboard or beach on that side. Didn't care too much for the side where the Water's Edge is, so we rarely ever ventured there. Our bathroom was the largest I'd seen. So much elbow room complete with hair dryer and toiletries. The kitchen had granite countertops and everything worked in it. Our master room was good sized with a secure safe. Once we moved the coffee table in the family room, the sofa bed comfortably fit both kids who loved having the tv right at the foot of it! Right outside the patio door was a large seashell-shaped bowl filled with fresh water every day that you could dip your feet and hands into to rinse off the sand so you wouldn't trek it into the room. Great idea! We never used the kids program, because we took the children everywhere we went. While there is a kids program, hammock, pools, shuffleboard, giant chess set, etc... the Bougainvillea really isn't all about children. They weren't allowed to jump in any pool or make big splashes. There is no playground. This made no difference to us, because we were so busy exploring the island and were happy with what was there. This makes it a nice resort for child-free couples too. We had such an amazing deal to stay here, presumably because it was off season, that we splurged by eating out for lunch and dinner every day. Breakfast at Lanterns was good, but definitely not gourmet. I must say, the coffee was weak at best in most places. It was included in our package, just for the adults, but they let our kids "eat off our plates" which was so tolerant, generous and kind! While my husband was initially concerned about safety, due to the condition of the local houses and streets, not once did we feel threatened or uncomfortable. They make it clear to keep your room locked, but who wouldn't? Barbados is all about meeting the locals and touching the culture. So friendly, warm and quick to laugh, the people make this one of best destinations in the world. Highly recommend Cool Runnings for the sea turtle/snorkel trip - it's by far the nicest catamaran available and not crowded. The Island Safari 4x4 was an excellent way to see everything at once (esp. the green monkeys) - ask for Ruel for your driver, but they all seemed cool. Don't do this if you have a bad back! If you go to Ocean Park, the outdoor aquarium/minigolf place, go earlier than 3pm. I couldn't believe they had a tank full of pirahna with no cover on it, so you could actually stick your hands in it if you were so inclined! Take advantage of the free shuttle to Bridgetown if you want to explore that area. Check out the Pelican Arts & Crafts section for Bajan made products if you go. Folkstone is an excellent place to go if you want to snorkel over a coral reef right from the beach. It's a 2km section of marine reserve, cordoned off so no jet skis or other water crafts to worry about. Because it's mostly reef, the water is a little choppy, but well worth the effort! We saw some great schools of fish, and you'll definitely work off some calories snorkeling all over this place. You'll also drive by Sandy Lane to get there. It's a very short walk to Holetown from Folkstone where there are plenty of restaurants and shopping. The Bougainvillea is a short cab ride to St. Lawrence Gap, a great place for dinner. Try Pisces (very nice), Bellinis(pretty good), Josef's(absolutely wonderful), and the restaurant at Southsea(an unbelievably excellent, unforgettable meal and experience). Of course, go to Oistins on Friday night. Be vigilant and catch Leroy's food van parked across the street from the Bougainvillea for some down home cooking at lunch time. So inexpensive and delicious! But keep looking at your watch, because they zip in and out pretty quickly. Walk further down the street from the hotel and grab some Banks beer and a delicious burger with steak fries at Pablo Donte's (towards the end of your trip when you've had your fill of flying fish). Outside seating. Looks like a hole in the wall, but such a great local spot to hang out! We did get approached a few times on the beach by people trying to sell their fares, or asking if you smoke. The hotel asks that you buy nothing from them to discourage them from coming. The "licensed" seller/s are under an umbrella a little further up the beach. Every beach in Barbados is public, so I don't see how you could avoid this situation at any resort on the island. You may also find it fun to take a cab to The Crane and eat at L'Azure. We did this for their Sunday lunch buffet. If you eat there, you are allowed to use their beach (ranked by a popular tv show as one of the world's top 10). It really is lovely. Bring your gear and you can change there. Note: Everything in Barbados at this time is under construction. Developers are buying every scrap of land and building like crazy! It's very interesting, and my heart goes out to the locals putting up with it all. We definitely reccommend staying at the Bougainvillea, and would go again.

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendliness, location, fun beach with waves
  • Disliked — the coffee
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Bangor, N.Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

I just got back from a wonderful 6 night stay at the hotel. The staff were amazing - except the one mean receptionist. Rooms were kept very clean, and if you forgot to do the washing up it was done for you whwn you return. We had a huge room, the one bedroom suite - perfect for 4 adults. Also comes with huge kitchen and american fridge. Already planning my next stay.

• Liked — Room and staff
  • Disliked — Grumpy check-in staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cumming, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

I just got back from an 8-day trip to Barbados and had a great time. I arrived Friday, June 15 and returned Friday, June 22. Round-trip from Atlanta took about 4.5 hours each way. I stayed at the Bougainvillea Beach Resort and planned my excursions from there.

About the Bougainvillea - It is very beautiful, with tropical flower gardens everywhere. The grounds are well lighted at night and they do have security. The entire staff was great. They were courteous and informative. You do have to put your watch or pace on "Barbados Time", meaning they are laid back and not in a rush, but you shouldn't be either. Just relax and let them take care of you. The resort pools were very clean and the beach area was too. One pool has a swim up bar where Roxy, Margarit, and Molly will take great care of you. We stayed in a Deluxe Studio that had a small, fully equipped kitchen, (ours had a hot plate, not a small range like in others), large bathroom, large bed area and living room with a small semi-private balcony overlooking the main pools and beach. I was quite satisfied with my accommodations. If you are the type that expects the Ritz, you will be disappointed, but if you expect a clean, well-kept room that has everything you need, you will really like it. There was construction on the property adjacent to the building where we were staying. Occasionally you could hear the noise, but the sound of the ocean and constant breeze pretty much drowned it all out. I didn’t let it bother me one bit.

About the Beach - The sand is a course crushed coral and is somewhat pink but very easy to walk on. The waves here can get pretty big, so if you are looking for a calm beach this wouldn't be a good place. I could swim out easily, but if you get caught where the waves break, just hold on to your swim suit. Big waves are fun to play in though. There were always chairs available and if the fixed umbrellas were all taken, I just asked Justin at the activities desk to set up a temporary one. He comes to your chairs and sets it up in minutes. Beach towel exchange is done there too. We did find a short cut to Dover Beach area and the Gap by way to the beach. From the resort, walk down the beach to the right past the other resorts until you can go no further. There will be a brick wall with a small alley between two resorts. Follow this towards the street, go up half a block and then left. This road is in the Dover Beach area and if you keep walking it will take you to the Gap. We walked it during the day with no problems, but wouldn’t recommend it at night. There were a few people selling items or stuff on the beach, but they were never a bother like you may imagine. I don’t think we were asked more than 3 times a day and if you aren’t interested, a polite “no thank you” is all that’s needed.

Meals - We got a breakfast plan included with our package and it was the only meal we ate at the resort outside of the beach barbeque. At first the pricing may seem a little high, but if you toss in the cab fare (to and from the resort) with a dinner off-site, it was comparable to eating at the resort. Just depends on what you are looking for. I didn’t find meals elsewhere overpriced either. I guess this depends on what you are use to paying where you live now. Some items were maybe $1-$4 USD higher, but for the most part, very comparable to what I pay around Atlanta. I will write a separate article on various restaurants in the area. Overall, the food was pretty good everywhere, but to help save money and have fun at the same time, we booked excursions that included lunch or dinner.

Transportation – We took a taxi everywhere we went, unless the excursions included transportation. I met several people that took the local bus and saved money, but depending on the number of people getting on and off and the distance to your destination, it may take a while longer to get there. A 10-15 minute taxi ride may take upwards of 30-40 minutes on the bus. I paid a little more to save time. $7-$8 USD was a pretty standard price to St. Lawrence Gap area. Don’t pay more to or from the Bougainvillea, just find another taxi, there are plenty. Transportation that was included for excursions was a great value and they are very timely, so don’t be late. The resort does have two daily scheduled buses to Bridgetown, which is very convenient.

Other Stuff – To save money, we bought drinks and snacks at the convenience stores. There is one just a half block from the resort and anther one near Dover Beach (See directions in the paragraph about the beaches). The supermarket is a bit further, but we didn’t need all that much.

To sum it all up, we had a great time and enjoyed everything about our trip. The locals are friendly and welcoming. I will certainly be back. There is tons of other stuff I’d like to write about (excursions, tours, happy hours, etc.) but I may put that in other articles. I'll post some pics too. Drop me a note if you have any questions.

Joshua

Falkirk, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

just returned from a week at Bougainvillea Beach resort. It was fabulous. We stayed in a standard studio which was very clean and spacious and our room 3211 overlooked the adult pool and then beach. If you want more luxurious finishes upgrade to a deluxe. If booked direct with resort their is only £15 diffrerence. Save a fortune if you book this yourself as price for a week is only £85 - £100.
The resort is very well organised with a beach hut providing water sport equipment, fresh beach towels daily and additional umbrellas for the beach, which is stunning but the water is a bit choppier than I expected but still lovely and warm.
We went to the organised BBQ and Bajan buffet at resort, both excellent, only compaint music stops at 10pm bar closes at 11pm. This must be as a result of previous trip advisor comment but we definately did not find noise loud when music was on. St Lawrence gap is only 15 BDS taxi fare away and we would recommnend both the Mexican Cafe Sol and the Italian Bellinis for a meal.
First time in Barbados we will definately be back, already looking at a cruise and stay for next year and if we book it we will be back at Bougainvillea for our week on land. Thanks to all staff for their friendliness and in particular Andrea, Stephen and Kim. If you are thinking of Barbados then look no further than this resort if you do not want all inclusive.

• Liked — position on beach
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lodi, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

The very first thing my new wife said to me when we walked into our room was "We have to come back here on our ten year anniversary."

Read that again in case you missed it. My wife and I stayed at Bougainvillea for 7 days from June 9th to June 16th in one of the Pentehouses. It was two stories tall with two balconies to hang out on. I have no idea why they don't tell you that on the website because if I knew this I would never have considered other hotels. Not to mention a full working kitchen with a full size fridge and TWO full bathrooms (with 2 sinks each which was way more then I needed)

On to the details. There is a quite a mix of young couples, older couples, and families. So if you hate kids go with a couples only resort but it's not swarming with kids. There are 3 pools. 2 by the outside pool bar which had most of the kids and 1 deep square one that is supposedly the adult pool. And the beach is divided by a rock jetty into two halves which makes it easy to find a quiet spot. There is construction next door as other posters have said but it really isn't that bad, they start late and end early, and you can always move to the beach on the left side of the jetty and you don't hear anything.

The staff was great and if you are just polite to them they are more then willing to bend over backwards for you. I say this because I saw several guests being extremely rude to them. When we asked a staff member we had become friendly with they said that they get alot of that. So by the end of the week every staff member had a big smile and a hello for the "cute honeymoon couple". Another big reason to be nice to the staff is they know all the best places to eat. And believe it or not the lunch vans that come around 11am are some of the best Bajan food you will find on the island.

Also, do yourself a favor whenever you need a cab to ask the hotel to call Trevor. First off he drives a pretty new BMX 328i and he charges the same as everyone else. So its nice to get driven around in luxury. And second because he is simply a great guy and is very good at showing you around the island. I couldn't recommend anyone higher then him, he really went the extra mile to make our trip great.

If you are going to go scuba diving without a doubt go with Dive Pro. The dive instructor Summer was great and the other dive masters were really friendly and very knowledgeable. If you are going to snorkel book with Bougainvillea because they take you to see the turtles early like 8:30am but you get there before the other tours. My wife, myself, and two other has 20 minutes alone with 5 sea turtles. Though if your going to scuba dive don't pay for the turtle and wreck snorkeling because the diveshops go to the wrecks so you will go to the same spot twice. It was a good time both times but not worth going twice. I would just do the snorkeling with turtles and do the wrecks with Divepro.

As far as food. Cafe Sol, Ship's Inn, and Cafe Jungle were all excellent. Cafe Jungle is easy to miss but is worth looking for. Champers was out of this world and if you go to barbados and don't eat there you will be sorely dissappointed. It's pricy but you get to eat dinner sitting 15 feet above waves breaking on a rock wall and the food is to die for. But do yourself a favor and make reservations, it gets very busy. Also, Rythmn and Roots was great food with an excellent Caberet but a bit racy for kids. Clean enough but there are lot of half dressed people, its your call. On the other hand DO NOT EAT at Jumbies the food is so awful it makes you want to throw up. Also, the two places at bougainvillea were average a best. Good for lunch but the vans are better. Dinner is just ok, you can do better at St. Lawrence's Gap.

Speaking of the Gap you can definitely walk it, anyone who says otherwise needs to walk more then to and from the frig. Its like 10 minutes by the beach, 20 by road. I do not recommend you do it at night. I did it but its very dark and though the island is as safe as anywhere, why take the chance? The hotel is right in the middle of everything worth seeing but its quiet at night so is exactly what we wanted. Cab's are only $7.50 each way to the Gap so its really accessible.

The one thing we were annoyed about was the honeymoon package. For the record its worth every penny but when they take you on the picnic its like an hour cab ride and they don't tell you that to rent an umbrella it's $8 US. It isn't a big deal but alittle heads up would have been nice. I don't perfer to eat sitting in the blistering sun. But overall where they take you is very pleasant so just remember to bring alittle cash, a bathing suit, and a towel.

So all in all I had a fantastic time at Bougainvillea Resort and my wife and I will definitely going back. Just remember to be polite and you'll find it very welcoming.

• Liked — Beautiful beach, great pools, close to nightlife but quiet at night
  • Disliked — Stairs only to third floor.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Zephyrhills, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

We just returned from Barbados after spending a week at the Bougainvillea Beach Resort. Our one bedroom unit was very spacious, clean and well kept, with a large balcony overlooking the pool and a full kitchen. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained, very tropical with coconut trees, flowering shrubs, and of course bougainvilleas everywhere. The beach was very nice, not crowded at all, with plenty of chairs and umbrellas, though the surf was a little rough on this end of the island. The only real negative was the fact that the resort is a block or two off the main road where the bus stop was, and the neighborhood you had to walk through to get there seemed a little dark and deserted for us to feel comfortable walking in at night. We were also warned by hotel security not to walk down the beach to St. Lawrence Gap at night, so the alternative was to head out while it was still light to catch the bus, which was very cheap (.75 USD) and take a taxi back to the resort for $7.50 USD, which got a little pricey after a while.

The other thing that was hard to get used to was the price of meals. Most of the nearby restaurants charged about $15 - $20 USD for lunch and $25 - $40 USD for dinner. You can save some money by ordering a large pizza from Paradise Pizza for about $16 USD delivered, and from the food van that parks in front of the resort at noon M-F where you can get enough food for two people for under $15 USD. Contrary to some other reviewers, we found the food at both the on site restaurants delicious, especially the snapper and the barracuda. Be sure to sign up for the resort shuttle to the Oisten's fish market on Friday night for some great seafood at reasonable prices. Definitely attend the Monday night manager's party from 6:00 - 7:00, but watch out for the free rum punch, as they are quite strong and may lead to unplanned purchases and a Tuesday morning hangover!

We highly recommend the Island Safari Jungle tour, which takes you all over the island for some great scenic views and island history, and a nice buffet meal, and the sailing cruise on the Cool Runnings catamaran, where you snorkel with sea turtles and tropical fish and enjoy a delicious meal served on board afterwards along with an open bar all day long. We also enjoyed the dinner and show at Harbor Lights on Wednesday night - great food, free drinks and dancing in the sand barefoot after your meal. All of these excursions, and probably most others, include transportation to and from the resort.

Overall we found the Bajan people friendly and honest, although a few of the beach vendors were a little aggressive and didn't want to take no for an answer. The resort staff were all helpful and courteous, and when Katrina in guest services found out it was my wife's birthday on Thursday, she had housekeeping deliver a bottle of champaigne, which was a very nice touch. We would definitely consider staying here again if we return to Barbados.

• Liked — Large room with a great view
  • Disliked — Transportation
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!