We just loved, loved loved this hotel. I had last stayed there about 7 years ago when I was single. I worked in the travel industry for 15 years and as such have stayed in Barbados about 40 times , from Sandy Lane to the Ross Trevor and I have to say that the Bougainvillea is outstanding value for money.
This has to do mainly with the delightful staff (Michelle, Jameira, Kim, Desirey,Ray and Marguerite) as well as the excellent accomodations which are large and have fantastic views.
We had the two bedroom deluxe beach view with 4 large balconies, a pull out couch in the living room, 3 toilets/2 shower/2 bath one of which was jacuzzi tub in one of the bedrooms which was perfect for the kids bathtime!
There were some minor things that I would change (the beds are not super comfortable, the water pressure could be better and I am not a fan of "dispenser soap shampoo") but it really was a brilliant holiday for our two children and nanny.
We also like the type of clientele who stayed there-very down to earth Canadians and Brits who were friendly without being too in your face. To be honest, at some resorts you have to work too hard to be on vacation (at Sandy Lane and The Crane Handbags At Dawn types reign supreme) and other resorts have too much "organisation" ("No, I really don't want to join in on the beach limbo, thanks, I think I already mentioned that half an hour ago").
We considered staying at Port St Charles for our upcoming Christmas holidays and while the accommodations are splendid and front of house seemed very warm, the guests and owners staying there were aloof and did not seem to really being enjoying the luxurious surroundings. Of course PSC is also quite out of the way and about 4 times the price and perhaps if you want to spend that kind of money you don't want to seem like you are enjoying it! While we may be able to afford that kind of holiday, it is not interesting to us at all. I'd rather spend the savings on a couple more weeks at the Bougainvellia!
The food service in Lanterns is a bit on the slow side but friendly and helpful and I think you come to expect that "no rush" feeling in the Caribbean .All in all in compared favourably with similar priced restaurants on the island. We went to Josefs (terrible sommelier) South Sea-outstanding food service and excellent wine list, Harrlequin-charming staff, average food, nice ambiance , Cocomos, great location, fun staff, good food, average service and of course the Ship Inn-terrible service, rubbish food, but you should not go for either of those, but rather the fun dancing and bands later in the night!
Maggie the manager alway greeted me by name, something in my experience that only comes when you've either registered a complaint-which we didn't -or you have great people skills-which she did.
On our last day (Valentines Day) we were presented with a bottle of bubbly as the staff had found out it was also our anniversary.a nice touch.
If hiring a driver from the hotel I would recommend Eddie as his car is clean has seatbelts and he turns on the air! Another good one is David. I would skip Suzanne though, as she had us out for a day on the West Coast and left us stranded-when I called her to ask where she was she gave a real whopper of a story and we had to find our own way back. Not reliable at all.
We will be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bougainvillea is the one that offers it all. Edged by two beautiful beaches, the resort, well known for its personal-touch and service, has 138 spacious suites which are just footsteps from the sand. Mediterranean style architecture surrounded by tropical gardens and the namesake Bougainvillea flowers create a tranquil setting, yet the location is merely minutes from south coast hotspots, making it an ideal base for exploring Barbados. Recommended for couples or families, the roomy suites all have ocean-facing balconies with breathtaking views. As a full service leisure resort, Bougainvillea has three swimming pools, a swim-up bar with daily happy hour, two beachfront restaurants, well-equipped fitness centre, luxurious Spa services, watersports, tennis court, Kids Club, Teen games room and outdoor play park. Entertainment is also offered several nights per week. Bougainvillea is a green hotel and has been awarded the Travelife GOLD award and the EarthCheck PLATINUM award for its commitment to the environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Regatta Hotels, Priceline, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Bougainvillea Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bougainvillea Beach Hotel Christ Church
- Bougainvillea Barbados
- Hotel Bougainvillea Beach
- Bougainvillea Resort
- Beach Bougainvillea Resort
- Bougainvillea Hotel Barbados
- Bougainvillea Beach Resort Barbados/Christ Church Parish