“Superb Service, Staff and Location” 4 of 5 stars

Bougainvillea Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Maxwell Coast Road, Barbados   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London England
“Superb Service, Staff and Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

We just loved, loved loved this hotel. I had last stayed there about 7 years ago when I was single. I worked in the travel industry for 15 years and as such have stayed in Barbados about 40 times , from Sandy Lane to the Ross Trevor and I have to say that the Bougainvillea is outstanding value for money.

This has to do mainly with the delightful staff (Michelle, Jameira, Kim, Desirey,Ray and Marguerite) as well as the excellent accomodations which are large and have fantastic views.

We had the two bedroom deluxe beach view with 4 large balconies, a pull out couch in the living room, 3 toilets/2 shower/2 bath one of which was jacuzzi tub in one of the bedrooms which was perfect for the kids bathtime!

There were some minor things that I would change (the beds are not super comfortable, the water pressure could be better and I am not a fan of "dispenser soap shampoo") but it really was a brilliant holiday for our two children and nanny.

We also like the type of clientele who stayed there-very down to earth Canadians and Brits who were friendly without being too in your face. To be honest, at some resorts you have to work too hard to be on vacation (at Sandy Lane and The Crane Handbags At Dawn types reign supreme) and other resorts have too much "organisation" ("No, I really don't want to join in on the beach limbo, thanks, I think I already mentioned that half an hour ago").

We considered staying at Port St Charles for our upcoming Christmas holidays and while the accommodations are splendid and front of house seemed very warm, the guests and owners staying there were aloof and did not seem to really being enjoying the luxurious surroundings. Of course PSC is also quite out of the way and about 4 times the price and perhaps if you want to spend that kind of money you don't want to seem like you are enjoying it! While we may be able to afford that kind of holiday, it is not interesting to us at all. I'd rather spend the savings on a couple more weeks at the Bougainvellia!

The food service in Lanterns is a bit on the slow side but friendly and helpful and I think you come to expect that "no rush" feeling in the Caribbean .All in all in compared favourably with similar priced restaurants on the island. We went to Josefs (terrible sommelier) South Sea-outstanding food service and excellent wine list, Harrlequin-charming staff, average food, nice ambiance , Cocomos, great location, fun staff, good food, average service and of course the Ship Inn-terrible service, rubbish food, but you should not go for either of those, but rather the fun dancing and bands later in the night!

Maggie the manager alway greeted me by name, something in my experience that only comes when you've either registered a complaint-which we didn't -or you have great people skills-which she did.
On our last day (Valentines Day) we were presented with a bottle of bubbly as the staff had found out it was also our anniversary.a nice touch.

If hiring a driver from the hotel I would recommend Eddie as his car is clean has seatbelts and he turns on the air! Another good one is David. I would skip Suzanne though, as she had us out for a day on the West Coast and left us stranded-when I called her to ask where she was she gave a real whopper of a story and we had to find our own way back. Not reliable at all.

We will be back!

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2007

Let me first start by saying the Bougainvillea was not our first choice when we decided to go to Barbados, but after this trip, the Bougainvillea will be the ONLY hotel we stay at when we visit Barbados!

My husband and I have an RCI membership and last Feb we saw a week at the luxurious Crane Resort in a one bedroom, 1100 sq ft apartment was available. Naturally we jumped on it and for the next 11 months we dreamed about staying at the same resort as many celebrities do and lounging on the world famous Crane Beach. Three days before our departure, RCI called and said The Crane declined our reservation because, according to them, the owner of the apartment didn't pay their maintenance fees, thus locking us out. RCI did their best to fight for us, but in the end the only thing they could do was put us in a studio at the Bougainvillea. I was devestated and cried for three days straight. I was very close to just cancelling the whole trip all together. Boy am I glad I didn't!

We rented a car from Stoutes Car Rental (highly recommend them) and drove to the hotel. It was a little difficult finding the hotel, as the streets are not really named and signs were difficult to spot! The hotel is tucked in off the main drag, on a back road. The reception area is very nice, all open-air and very clean. Vicky, who checked us in, was upset over the treatment we received from The Crane, said it should never have happened and actually went out of her way to see if she could upgrade us to a one bedroom - which she was able to do two days later. Our ground floor studio was nice...small...but nice. The queen bed was actually hidden behind some closet doors, which was nice to have the separation. The kitchen was tiny and located in the "hallway" that connected the living area with the front door. The bathroom had a toilet and stand alone shower(no tub) and there was a separate vanity area with sink, mirror and a wall with cubes to store your clothes and items. Our porch was awesome as we were only 10 steps away from the beach. Despite the short distance, it was quiet, except for the waves crashing. The top floor one bedroom room we had was SUPERB!!! Lots of room, a full deck that extended the full length of the room and a view of the beach, which was less than a minute walk away. The living room was very spacious, the bathroom was large, but still no tub. Our bedroom had a king bed and full length closet with a ton of storage space. Air conditioning units were in the bedroom and the living room. (note: both of our units were located in the old Sand Acres Hotel, which the Bougainvillea now owns)

We had dinner at both restaurants on site and the food was good and basically the same price as the restaurants down in the Gap, which is only a short five minute drive away! We also ordered food twice from Lanterns to take back to our room, which is a nice feature. We had a couple drinks at the pool bar, but never actually got in the pool! It was so much more relaxing to lay out on the beach. Never had any issues finding a lounge chair, but I do wish they served drinks down on the beach (not a huge deal though!)! The ocean there is rough - my husband had fun jumping the waves with the other "boys!" Once you got past the rough crestline, the water was pretty calm and you could easily stay out there all day just floating and swimming.

The Bougainvillea was SO clean! Everywhere I turned a staff member was cleaning - there were even two men who were cleaning the bugs out of the hanging lights in the reception area! The grounds are beautiful and very family-friendly or couple-friendly!

Just to reassure ourselves, we did have lunch one day at The Crane. We took a tour of the one bedroom apartment we should have stayed in -while the accommodations were very luxurious and five star, the service was not! The lady who gave us the tour, never apologized for what happened to us and gave us the impression she didn't really care - she was more interested in telling us all the stars for that week's Jazz Festival stayed there and she was the personal assistant for one of them. (We truly believe our reservation was cancelled because they received a reservation from someone, well-known, who needed the room during the festival, but that is our opinion). To get to the beach you needed to walk through the restaurant and down all those rickety stairs and it easily would have taken you five minutes or more to get down there from your room. The new pool area is definitely beautiful, but again, would take you some significant time to get down there. We are accustomed to staying in four-five star resorts/hotels, but we will never stay at The Crane. While the accommodations at the Bougainvillea are not five star, the service, location and people make it a SIX STAR resort!

Stayed January 2007
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

Our first trip was August 2005. We fell in love with the hotel, the people and the island. We returned for a second visit in April 2006 where we got married.
The hotel was everything we expected it to be and more. We stayed in a 1 bed as it had a seperate bedroom with a bed settee in the lounge. The rooms are very clean and spacious. There were little touches like flowers in the bathroom and bedroom on arrival. The bedrooms have plenty of wardrobe space and ample draws. The kitchen is very well equipt containing a full oven!! Everything you could think you need in a hotel you have at the Bougainvillia. The bathrooms are a generous size with plenty of fluffy towels replaced daily.

The staff are courtous and very helpful, especially Kim. Everyone at the hotel went above the call of duty which is a lovely touch. The pools were cleaned daily and were never overcrowded. The hotel had a kids club which my 7 and 11 year old enjoyed most days. It is very reasonable and includes lunch!!
The two restaurants on site are very nice. Lanterns we ate at mostly. It serves a lovely breakfast buffett of hot and cold food plus continential. There were daily specials at lunchtime where you could eat in or have takeaway. I found this most usefull as young children do not want to eat in a restaurant when they are having fun. Evening meals were lovely, candles on the tables, beach next to you hearing the waves crash all around you ......Heaven.
Our wedding day was ab fab. The hotel were stars and I couldnt have asked for a nicer venue or more helpful staff. They arranged everything from the service to the food and decoration. The hotel mads sure we had a day to remember.
The hotel also arranged a babysitter on 3 occassions. The babysitter generally is a member of staffs daughter which we were very pleased with.

The hotel is centrally located for nightlife and restaurants. There are plenty of taxi's waiting in the hotel reception. The Gap is a 5 minuite taxi ride where you will find dozens of restaurants to suit any budget of taste. We would highly recommend The restaurant at South Sea. What an experience of a lifetime. The service is second to none and the food out of this world.
I would recommend having an Island tour. Outside the hotel there will be a gentleman called Livingstone. He has an a/c Jeep which is very comfortable. We have been on the trip with him on the two trips. He is very reasonable and makes the day.
I will hopefully be returning to the Bougainvillia next year for the third time as I would not like to stay anywhere else!!!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2007

The Bougainvillea Resort was wonderful. My boyfriend and myself have never stayed at such a beautiful and well-kept resort. The service was impeccable, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. The staff were very friendly and we felt safe throughout our entire vacation. The food at the resort was great - the selection for lunch and dinner was abundant. We both do not have one negative thing to say about the resort or the island and are recommending it to all of our family and friends!!! The trip will stay in our memories forever and we hope that we will be able to visit Barbados again in the future.

Stayed December 2006
Issaquah, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2007

This hotel was absolutely fantastic! We wanted a clean, upscale (but not a stuffy posh place), beachfront hotel with a kitchenette. We took our college age daughter with us and wanted a nice second bedroom arrangement and a safe place. It was better than we could have imagined. Barbados is not a cheap place, but after visting around the island, the Bougainvillea was well priced and worth it for its location, great staff, cleanliness, safety, etc. Many of the staff are long term employees. It was well worth it to go the second week of December vs. the third or fourth week when the prices more than doubled for "holiday" rates. The weather was lovely. The food that some reviewers commented on about not being great - is the same food served everywhere on the island! If you want any kind of variety you need to go to a specific ethnic restaurant because all levels of restaurants literally served everything that you got at the Bougainvillea. We were a bit disappointed that island-wide there was not much in the way of Caribbean flare food like on other islands, but once we got over that and a meal was a meal, we just enjoyed the peaceful ambiance of the island instead.

I wouldn't really drive on the island - they are crazy drivers along with driving British style on the left. We just hired a driver for the day and got where we wanted without being stressed out - so be prepared for many taxi fees as the buses are usually crowded and we were too confused to use them. Unless you are staying right in a town, you will need transportation to get to any other restaurants or sightsee. Though we did quite a bit of walking (it is safe as far as crime), but the sidewalks disappeared a lot and it was dangerous walking on blind curves with the crazy drivers.

Back to the Bougainvillea - I would go there again in a heartbeat and my parents will be going there for five weeks next year based on our experience. It really is very safe. Around the island we never saw a beggar and never were hassled or felt unsafe ever. We liked our little poolside bar and the chairs on the beach and an umbrella any time you asked for it. They do wonderful Christmas events if you are there for that part of the season. I am glad, though, that we weren't there when it was totally full. We had two toilet clogs (in different toilets) and maintenance was there to fix it within minutes each time - very impressive. Next time I would probably get a little less expensive unit since we were always outside by the pool or on the beach (even late into the night), our three balconies were just about wasted on us.

The Pirate Cruise was a blast, the Bajan dance show at The Plantation "Roots and Rythyms" was fantastic (and they never stopped pouring the alcohol!!!), driving around to historic areas was interesting, and we even saw some of the elusive green monkeys running around in a residential area we were driving through. It is not a cheap island, but most people are employed and crime is low, so it is a nice place to go and not worry about leaving your resort - so it's a trade off on being a little more expensive (but knowing you are assisting in keeping their unemployment low) or going to a place where your resort is nice, but you won't leave it much or feel uncomfortable when you do. As I said, I feel very good about my parents going there (in their 70s) and not worrying about their safety.

You won't go wrong with Bougainvillea - I am glad I listened to the TripAdvisor reports. Most of the "all inclusive" on the island don't give you much more than food included (and alcohol is an add-on) - so save your money, get a good place to stay like the Bougainvillea, and spend that all inclusive money on other sightseeing - and then the Bougainvillea doesn't seem quite as expensive after all (and their drinks are reasonably priced for all the strong alcohol they put in them). Have fun there!

Stayed December 2006
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2007

Stayed at Bougainvillea recently for a week. Had an amazing time, and was testament to our trip that both my girlfriend and I were sad to leave. Can see why so many guests at the Bougainvillea that we met had been before!
Hotel is a 20mins (BD$40) taxi fare from airport - check with driver beforehand the fare, and whether he is quoting you in US or BD$!
Was greeted at hotel with big smiles, rum punch, and cookies.
Room was clean and spacious, with lovely beach views. Fell asleep and woke up each day to the sound of the waves crashing.
Great thing was the room had a microwave, oven/grill,large fridge/freezer in kitchenette area, so could make own breakfasts/snacks when didn't want the hotel food.
All rooms are close to beach, but resort has good stretch of beach so does not feel intrusive when sun-bathing. Sea best to swim in the morning, and bodysurf/bodyboard in afternoon. Hotel has beach hut that gives out bodyboards/kayaks/snorkels etc. complementary, as well as beach towels (pick them up early in the day though to avoid missing out). If like bodyboarding/bodysurfing, 5mins walk from hotel towards next hotel there is good wave break that means you can surf good 50-100m, but take flippers (available at beach hut free).
If sick of sea, there are 3 pools (all medium size, but usually quiet). Lilos and rings are available from beach hut.Feature pool has pool bar, with happy hour from 3-4 in afternoon (easy to get very drunk at, so be careful!!!). Hotel does not have any other bars.
Breakfast at hotel is quite expensive I thought (£10), but hefty buffet of good quality. Would recommend if very hungry, but otherwise not good value.
There is a food van that comes Monday-Friday (Leyroys) at 12.30 for 1 hour. Great food and great prices. Get there early as the locals queue up. Think best Bajun food i tried on my stay.
Small shop 3mins walk from hotel, but little selection and expensive, so only good for essentials.
Also Fat Jo's car rentals only 5mins walk from hotel. Car's are a heap of crap, but great fun to drive. Would really recommend them. Decent price, close to hotel for drop off, and you don't want to be driving decent car in Barbados. Would really recommend driving up East Coast to Bathsheba (amazing scenery) but roads are bad and signs even worse. Can drive round island in 4-5 hours easy, with a few stops.
Would recommend stopping off a the beach at Crane hotel on South coast if taking a drive. Awesome body boarding waves. Once you hit West Coast the sea is too dangerous to swim in unless have bodyboard or surfboard. Car rental at Jo's was £35 for day (you'll need your driving licence of course).
Hotel staff mainly friendly. Entertainment at hotel not great, but only 3mins taxi ride (thought expensive) or 15mins walk to St.Lawrence Gap. Overall not that impressed with Bajun nightlife, but as a romantic destination awesome.
Bridgetown good for shopping. About 25mins journey away. Hotel offers free shuttle bus twice a day.
Hotel has good recreation desk. Best activity I did was big game fishing. Started early and hit by big weather, but crew were good fun and had beers for breakfast. Caught a 4 foot barracuda and got to take it home. Hotel didn't have a problem with me cleaning it up on balcony outside our room, and cooked it on the communal guest BBQ (have to book it at reception for free).
Overall loved Barbados and can see myself returning. People friendly and fun. Bougainvillea a very pleasant resort in beutiful surroundings. Not the most luxurious place I've stayed, but I would say good value for money.

Top tips:
Hotel offers an oriertation session (30mins) most mornings which gives good guide to hotel facilities and things to do.
If raining or bored in evenings, good games room with pool and table tennis.
Don't forget to keep about BD$25 in cash for departure tax at airport (they don't accept VISA!)
Oistins fish fry on Fridays.
See the West Coast.
Drink rum and Banks Beer!

• Liked — Pool bar and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Breakfasts expensive
  • Tips/Secrets — LeRoy's Food Van opposite hotel for lunch/Fat Jo's car rental 5mins walk from hotel
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

Our family stayed here for the Xmas/New year week - Dec 06. The hotel is very open due to the climate. The reception and restaurant and bar are outdoors. There are 3 pools and although they were quite small they were never crowded. Two were freeform and one was a conventional shape. The hotel is on a beautiful white sand beach which was also not crowded.The hotel is close to other buildings - apartments, and there is a small aprtment block being built to one side of the hotel but it did not interfere with the hotel. This construction site was noticeable if you walked along the beach. The rooms were very spacious and clean. It was a great location as the reosrt is close to St Lawrence gap and some lovely restaurants. We have also stayed on the west Coast in Barbados and the Bougainvillea represented good value for money as it is considerably cheaper than west coast hotels which was good with kids.

Our young children did not swim in the sea as the waves here are moderate but the beach was great for sand castles and also our children had so much fun wave jumping and body boarding.
We are well travelled and usually travel to 5 star hotels, but we would go back to this hotel as we had a great week. We did hire a car and explore the whole island

• Liked — Beautiful beach
  • Disliked — Needed to hire a car to avoid taxi fares. There is also no lift
  • Tips/Secrets — No lift so it would be difficult if you had physical difficulties
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!