“Love Barbados!” 4 of 5 stars

SUMMER FAMILY FUN
Wilmington, Delaware
“Love Barbados!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2005

This was our 2nd trip to Barbados and our first stay at Bougainvillea. I did a lot of research when deciding where to stay this time. I was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews. I was not disappointed.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with our choice of complimentary tropcial drinks (2 fresh fruit, 1 rum punch). The staff were very courteous, friendly and helpful...always greeted us with a smile and remembered our names. Our room was comfortable and cleaned daily. There was only 1 day when we had to ask (repeatedly) for clean towels. Our room was on the ground level with a patio view of the sea and one of the pools. At first this was quite a treat. It was no longer a treat when at 7:30 in the morning there were people in the pool making an enormous amount of noise. When I went out to the patio to see what was happening, I discovered a father and small child playing with pool noodles. He apologized and promised to keep the noise down. (He did for the most part.) There were A LOT of children at this resort, even in the "adult" swim up bar. I was disappointed that management did not enforce the 16 years and up only rule. The swim up bar was something I looked forward to. (I soon got over it!)

We found the restaurant food and drinks to be over priced for what was served. I did not find any of the mixed drinks to be worth 12 Barbados dollars. We found a nice bar down the street from the resort...Thomo's Loved the malibu and sprite! Very friendly staff (Rosie was a riot!) Karaoke night was a ton of fun! A nice, relaxing place to unwind.

The beach front was decent, but rough on several days. Most of the umbrella tables were long gone by the time we arrived (around 9-9:30). I'm not complaining since the beach was only 20 steps from our patio! Vendors approach you trying to sell their wares. A simple "No, thank you" will send them on their way. We never had any trouble. They would simply smile back and wish us a happy holiday.

Oisten's is definitely worth the trip. Great food in the gap and at Leroy's right outside the resort. I ate a different kind of fish every night and was never disappointed.

We went horseback riding on the East coast and it was wonderful. Take a trip to North Point, where the Caribbean and Atlantic meet. It is breathtaking! Snorkel with sea turtles and see beautiful fish.

One regret I have is using the travel advisor that came as part of our package. She greeted us the second day we were there and assured us that she was the only one who could book our tours. (WRONG!) She took money as deposit but then did not book all of our excursions. Then when questioned, she was hesitant about returning our money. Thankfully the resort staff was understanding and did everything they could to book our excursions.

To make a long story short, Bougainvillea is a nice, family resort with friendly staff, decent amenities and is within close proximity to St. Lawrence Gap. (We took a taxi but found it quite expensive. Take the "bus" which costs $1.50 Barbadian each way. It's always an event!) I would go back to Barbados tomorrow. I probably would stay at another resort, just because I like variety. I would recommend to friends, though.

If you would like additional information, please send me an email. I am happy to share!

• Stayed July 2005

1,301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
bhx england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2005

soon after arrival it became apparent that the staff would go out of their way to help you.rooms were very clean and tidy. the housekeeping was excellent, the pools were good and clean,and the location on the beach was first class. the pool bar was very good and you could have some decent banter with the staff. food at the hotel was good too,especially at the a la carte at the adjacent sand acres.

Mnachester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

We stayed for 2 weeks at the Bouganvillia Beach Resort, Barbados. at the end of May 05. Looking at the reviews on this site I had a few mixed feelings...however when we got there it was great!! We rented a one bedroomed deluxe apartment, for ourselves and our two children aged 3, and 7. The apartment was very spacious, clean comfortable with a lovely ocean view.

The resort is ideal, right on the beach which is glorious, beautiful colours in the sea, water warm, sometimes a little choppy and you need to take care of very young ones, but my son aged 7 really enjoyed the body boards that you could get free from the water sport guys.

The pool area also ideal for children and you can go freely from beach to pool with ease.

The staff at the resort were fantastic, helpful and very child friendly. We did a mix of eating in and going out. St Lawrence Gap is not far and has some great restuaraunts, really enjoyed Pisces and the kids liked Sweet Potato and the Jam Rock Cafe. Oistins on a Friday night is another must do, great local food and loud music, lots of atmosphere!!!

We also discovered Leroys Island Dinners which are available Mon-Fri from his white van, parked outside our hotel at lunchtime. The food was fantastic and great value. My son particularly enjoyed the chicken rotis and my daughter loved the selection of different types of fresh fruit jiuce you could get.

Travelling further a field is also a must do. We hired a jeep and went to Holetown on the west coast. The beaches are pristine and a lot clamer for swimming, Take a boat trip to swim with the giant green turtles!!!

Unfortunately my husband broke his shouldor whilst we were on holiday. The hotel couldn`t have helped us any more. They were fantastic and all the health facilities were fine as well. Moral of the tale do make sure you have holiday insurance.

Despite the mishap we had a great time, really loved the island and the people, the managers and staff at Bouganvilla were great, we`d definitely recommend it!!!

Pauline John, Manchester.UK.

Fredericksburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

We stayed at the Bougainvillea from July 2-9th it was ok. This was our first time in Barbados. The hotel was beautiful and clean. Our room was a very large one bedroom and spacious with a good view. Maids cleaned our room everyday and it was always sparkling clean. The hotel restaurant was expensive and not very good. The breakfast was the worst. There is a convenience store a few steps away and we bought a lot of our supplies there. We ate in The Gap for most of our meals.

We did have one major problem at the hotel. We went on vacation to have a peaceful, enjoyable vacation. We did not have one. For example, there was a reception going on at the hotel restaurant. There was loud music and dancing. It wasn't a big deal until it started getting later and later and the group began to get louder and very rowdy. We wanted to go to sleep because we had a busy day ahead of us. I called the front desk to ask when the party would be over. They assured me that the manager was taking care of it because they had other complaints. Soon after that, the group of people were even louder. They started screaming and yelling and jumping into the pool and throwing each other in the pool. The sound echoes off the buildings and across the resort. I called the front desk again and was told that the noise would stop soon. Well, the noise didn't stop for another hour! I went to the desk and talked to the manager in person. She didn't seem too concerned at all. I suggest that of you want a quiet peaceful family resort try somewhere else.

Also, there are people hounding the beach disturbing you and trying to sell you everything from jewelry to illegal drugs. The water was rough and not good for snorkeling.

There were many things to see and do around the island. The most memorable was snorkeling with the sea turtles and seeing the Bajan Green Monkeys at the Wildlife Reserve. We didn’t have any trouble finding good food to eat around the island. Try the macaroni pie! Yum! We took an Adventureland 4X4 off road tour. It was a lot of fun and we got to see different things that we couldn’t have seen otherwise.

We did rent a car for the week. We rented from Drive-A-Matic and didn’t have any problems, except getting lost once. It was much nicer that getting a taxi. Although, there seemed to always be taxis waiting everywhere.

Needless to say, we will not be staying at the Bougainvillea again! The hotel was neat and clean, but did not seem four star worthy. It was not worth what we paid!

• Stayed July 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

My partner and i have just returned from 10 days at the Bougainvillea, we stayed in a deluxe suite on the fourth floor overlooking the pool and beach. We both had a really nice time and would recommend it as a place to stay.

The suite itself was confortable and very spacious for two people. The bedroom contained one Queen sized bed, but the air conditioning was useless and we relied mainly on a ceiling fan during the nights for some cool air. Opening the window was a big no no because of the mosquitoes. (both bitten several times with the windows closed!)

The bathroom had a bath, shower and double sink unit very spacious. There was always hot water when needed and towels were replaced most days when required.

The kitchen and lounge area was separately air conditioned and was lovely and cool to return to after a day in the sun. We didnt make use of the cooking facilities as we ate out most nights in the GAP. The lounge and balcony areas were nice to relax in if you didnt feel like heading down to the pool or beach too early.

Another downside with the room was that it was on the fourth floor and there were no lifts which required a hike of 58 steps each time you went in or out...something to bear in mind when booking.

This being my first trip to Barbados and my partners second i did not know what to expect. I found the hotel location perfect fro th GAP just 5 minutes by taxi BBD$15. We ate at Oceans, Pisces, Bellinis and Cafe Sol all different but offer great food. Oistin's on Fridays is also a great night out to soak up the Bajan atmosphere. "Harbour Lights" is a must the entertainment is brilliant! acrobats, fire eaters, singers and good food all included in the price. A bus picks you up at 6.30pm and all drinks are free until 2.00am if you can manage it!!!

We went on a Catarmaran trip and swam with Turtles and also did some Scuba diving at "Rogers Scuba Shack" at "The Boatyard" (excellent!) The island safari excursion is a great and fun way of seeing the island.

In all an excellent 10 days was had, the hotel was nice and in a great location, however, it was not of a 4* standard as advertised by Virgin Holidays in my opinion. But it was clean, had friendly staff and catered adequately for all ages.

• Stayed June 2005
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

We stayed here for 10 days in May including the half term week. We had one of the one bedroomed apartments in the sand acres section (3212) and it was fabulous. Two huge rooms with a kitchenette and bathroom. We especially loved the double balcony. On the second floor so we had a lovely view out to the sea. On the whole it was an excellent experience. We did a little bit of shopping at the corner shop and stocked up on basics so we could make our own breakfasts and lunches. I also got a cab to the Big D supermarket and bought loads of stuff. We ate at Lanterns restaurant quite often for lunch and especially loved the country chicken salad, and found the food and service to be very good. I love watching the ocean as I eat and it was great for that. They also provide the room service so we quite often had lunch on our fabulous balcony. The dinner menu for room service was quite good too. We enjoyed everthing we ordered and its not too pricey. As we have kids we didn't go out much in the evenings, but sitting on that balcony in the evening heat drinking wine was superb. One place we kept going back to in St Lawrence gap was Pisces, its right on the water's edge and the food is awesome. We also did Oistens fish fry which is a must. Although we went early because of the kids and probably missed most of the "party". The food was ok, it was more for the atmosphere. We were a little disappointed by the lack of organisation for the kids club. I know the brochures advertise kids club subject to numbers (3) but most people only have 2 kids so we had to ask around to find another couple who wanted to use the club. I must have seemed a bit desperate, but I really like to have a break from the kids (3&5) occasionally and managed to use the club 3 times while we were there. Monique, who ran the club was brilliant, the kids loved her and she also does babysitting in the evenings. It would have been better if the reception or activities desk had a list you could sign up for and asked each guest with kids. Still a small point. The swimming pool was excellent, not very large, but especially the first week it was fantastic and the kids loved it. The second week (half term) it seemed a bit busier mainly because of all the inflatables in the pool!! We also loved the beach. It was a bit rough but so much nicer than the flat calm thats too much like a swimming pool for my tastes. The staff were quite friendly and smiled if you smiled at them first. Not overyly effusive, but still helpful. Except in the Water's Edge restaurant. It was awful, sooooo not worth the extra expense. We saved this for our last night hoping for a special treat, but the waitress was exceptionally surly, the food was decidedly average, especially the dessert, which my husband swears was a 'Mr Kiplings individual apple pie'!! We actually asked to sit outside and have coffee just to get out, the kids had fun running round on the grass and playing on the hammock, but I would avoid this place, not as advertised! We used the Vigin check in and chill out service and that was fantastic, also got the room for late checkout, I did have qualms about it being a bit pricey US$75, but was very worthwhile as we only had to leave at 6.45pm and a whole day out in the sun would have been too much. I would definitely go back and stay at the Bougainvillea, we had a little look at the Casaurina and Turtle beach hotel's next door, and were very happy with what we chose. Definitely the best of the bunch. I'm happy to answer any questions about the hotel, just email me on lizveall@hotmail.com.

• Stayed May 2005
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2005

Just returned from Bougainvillea. We stayed there from 5/24/05-5/29/05. There were some very nice things about this hotel and some very annoying things as well. The good stuff: The room was beautiful. We stayed in a deluxe studio which was beautifully decorated and had a very nicely equipped kitchette- microwave, electric burner stove, toaster, large refrigerator. The room was not only lovely but also clean, which was very nice and it also had a sizable terrace with table and chairs. Most of the staff was friendly--in general, I didn't find Bajans as friendly as I had heard them to be and many times I found they had somewhat of an attitude, especially with service people. The bad stuff: The beach in front of the hotel was not well kept in terms of cleanliness, it was very crowded and there were not enough umbrellas. The pools were also dirty everytime we passed by them and we never went in the pools because it was always packed, usually with people's children. That was another problem, although there was a kids pool, there were children everywhere and they pretty much overtook the pools and it got pretty noisy in the afternoons. For $3, you can get a shuttle from the hotel into Bridgetown, however, I found Bridgetown to be a dirty, crowded mess and the shopping was pretty terrible. We found the food to be on the pricey side and usually not worth it- we ate at Bellinis (ok), Cafe Sol (ok), Harlequin(good) and Aquapisce(excellent)all in St Lawrence Gap. We found Aquapisce to be the best meal and service we had during our stay and wished we had discovered it sooner during our trip. Please note that there's another restaurant called Pisces (we didn't eat here) but Aquapisce is around the corner from Pisces and opposite Josef's. We rented a car but handed it back in early because the roads are horribly marked and not easy to navigate at all. As a person who loves to drive the countryside when I'm abroad, this was a definite disappointment. Unless you can find an extremely good map (I didn't) I'd steer clear of this option. Also, I don't recommend using Southern Rentals if you decide to rent a vehicle. We had problems with the car (came out one night and it wouldn't start). This combined with the fact the it was hard to drive led me to return the car early. The representative was not only abrasive and rude and yelled at both my husbabd and myself, but he also threatened to charge my credit card for unauthorized charges based on the fact that he had my card number and accused me of lying about the car not starting because he said the mechanic claimed it started right away when he tried. Avoid this company--you won't have a problem as there are a multitude of rental places available. Cabs were pretty pricey ($12-$15 Bajan) considering it was a five minute ride from hotel to the Gap. Barbados is a beautiful country and worth a visit but I don't think we'll be going back; if we did, the positives outwieghed the negatives as far as the Bougainvillea was concerned.

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!