“Highly recommended- a beautiful garden resort on a great beach.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Bougainvillea Beach Resort to your Saves list
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Maxwell Coast Road, Barbados   |
Surrey, UK
“Highly recommended- a beautiful garden resort on a great beach.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

Just had two weeks at Bougainvillea, our second visit, and enjoyed every day. Gardens and pools are stunning. Excellent gym. Lovely entertainment with live groups and steel band many days. Like many places in Barbados, food is somewhat pricey but a good supermarket is only 20 minutes walk away and easy taxi return so the self-catering option worked very well. There is a small shop close by for essentials. Two restaurants are available at the resort and we enjoyed the meals each time we used them. The resort is on the south coast but not much else close by so visits out mean a taxi ride but a free shuttle is provided twice daily to Brigdetown for the shopping. The airport is only 20 minutes by taxi so compares favorably with other popular resorts on the west coast which are much further.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

1,338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

I had a marvelous time at this resort, the Bougainvillea is a great choice for your Barbados vacation. The staff at this property are well trained and genuinely happy to help you enjoy your stay, bellmen, housekeeping and especially the lovely ladies at the Front Desk. I arrived late morning, my room wasn't ready, no worry - Janelle at the desk gave me a drink card for the bar. There I met Marguerite - a very friendly bartender who gave me a Banks (the local beer). We talked for ten or fifteen minutes and as I finished the beer her phone rang. it was the desk telling me my room was ready. My suite was located in building #5 on the second floor. The little gallery overlooked the beach and ocean. The suite was extremely spacious and well appointed. I had read previous reviews about the fully stocked kitchens, my driver stopped at the local supermarket on the way from the airport and I bought a few things for the stay. The kitchen ended up being a great plus and it was nice never having to chase down dishes or cutlery. The bathroom was large and I never experienced a problem with water pressure. The bedroom in the suite was also large and faced a little parking lot, never any noise except for the crickets at night. There are two venues for eating, Lanterns by the Sea and an adjacent Italian restaurant. I tried both and they were fine, yet there are many other choices either down the road or a short cab ride away. I never used the pool, it looked nice but the beach/ocean at Bougainvillea is superb. There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas and it never felt crowded. Other reviewers mentioned the vendors annoying the hotel guests, if you politely say no to whatever it is they are selling they will go away but it was not an issue for me. I was only there for four night, I wished I had booked longer, it really is a hard place to leave.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

This resort needs an updated picture. I believe the pictures in use to advertise are when they first opened. The grounds are beautiful though and very well kept. Our studio was large and kept up during our stay, but you can tell the facility has aged. The staff was exceptionally friendly and accommodating. I do not recommend taking the meal plan as the two restaurants have a set menu without any diversion from it. Because of the resort's small size, it made for a relaxing atmosphere. Just wished there was more entertainment in the evening. We enjoyed our stay at this facility.

• Stayed May 2009
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

One of the best hotels I've stayed in...
1/Firstly, I would advise uk travellers to only change up £50 (Travelex will get your around 2.59) Take sterling with you as the rate there is soooo much better. DONT change at the hotel, you will only get 2.80 - 2.85. Walk to the nearest bank, (Royal bank of Canada, or Barbados National bank or The carribean bank) and change it there as you will get the going rate plus no commision charge, I changed £500 at 2.99. There is a shuttle bus to bridgetown and there is alot of banks there or walk to one nearest, whch I think is past dover beach, te staff will guide you.
2/As you come out of the airport for a taxi, go straight in the line and there is a guy with a clipboard, tell him the bougainvilla and he will give you a slip of the price. Should be no more than $30 Bajan Dollars.
3When you arrive at the hotel, the bell man will hold your bags until your room is ready, they are top blokes. Either Kim or Anderson, tell them your an arsenal fan lol or mention my name (Harry the arsenal fan from london) and they will look after you all holiday. I tipped whoever takes up your bags a oneoff $20 Bejan and thats it for the whole holiday, but before I left I bought them beers and gave them the stuff I had left over ( Dont believe in throwing food away)
4/Shopping, dont bother walking up the road to the local store, its expensive (OK to top up your milk,bread and eggs throughout the holiday) go do a oneoff shopping at Super centre in oistins and buy everything there. Only buy enough for what you need. $40 Bejan there and back.
5/Hotel resturant is rubbish and expensive, I aint no cheapo but I know the difference between crap food and quality. Oistins is a must place to eat, also pop down to the gap a couple of times and try champlers, that was good. Also cheffettes was nice too. Other than that we cooked breakfast and lunch at the room. There is also these food vans that come outside the hotel 12pm to 1.30pm, the food is awsome, try the roti (wrap).
6/Hotel itself was nice, clean pools, gardens. The rooms were cozy, I have a deluxe suite. The bar by the pool is expensive, the only thing I drank from there was the rum punch $10 Bejan its the BEST! Other than that, try different bars.
7/Beach was lovely, but not really swimable, choppy most of the time. Try different beachs on the west coast.
8/Things to do, Atlantis 2 Submarine, rubbish in my opinion. £100 easy for 2 people. Harrisons cave worth it, dont book it thru the hotel. Book a taxi, negotiate at $80-90 Bejan for a return trip, he will even wait for you. And entrance is $40 Bejan per person, 30 for kids i think. The Rytham and roots is crap, I would not bother, again £120 for 2. But But But a must do is TED'S TOURS, he takes a group tour around the island in 7 hours, and buffet lunch and drinks all day included, his own homemade rum/fruit punch. You see some breathtaking views.

Any I do hope this helps, PM me if you need any other help. I got to know a very reliable driver, if you need this number pm me.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

Me and my fiancé have just returned from a weeks stay at the Bougainvillea Beach Resort. We had a brilliant time there. All the staff are extremely friendly and very helpful. The hotel room is cleaned every day and the hotel grounds are kept very clean too. Every morning I saw the pool being cleaned.

Our room was upgraded when we arrived. The room we stayed in was very spacious. We had a kitchen area which was very equipped with a fridge freezer, microwave, kettle, hot plate etc, bathroom, double bed and we also had a sitting area. We had a view of the pool to the left and the beach to the right. It was nice to wake up in the morning to the sound of the waves from the sea, very relaxing. In the room we had a small dining table, satellite TV and you could control the air conditioning yourself. We had a safe in the cupboard which you can create your own 4 digit code so no keys to lose.

The pool area was very clean and is surrounded by flowers and small waterfalls which I thought was beautiful. The pool by the bar was nice and warm and the other pool by the waterfalls was a bit cooler but still very refreshing. There are also childrens areas in the pools. The main pool had a swim up bar, which I loved for when you wanted a drink but still wanted to cool off in the pool.
The beach was a few steps away from the pool area which was great if you wanted a change from the pool. The beach was gorgeous. White powder sand and Turquoise sea. The sea was a bit choppy at times but we still managed to swim in it and it was very warm. There were enough sunbeds for everyone and you could get umbrellas from the guys at the watersports desk and they seemed to be very quick at putting them up for you.
The food in the hotel restaurant 'Lanterns By The Sea' was delicious, we only ate lunch there though.

The hotel is situated about a 5 minute drive from St. Lawrence Gap which has a good choice of restaurants and bars. There are also street stalls selling jewellery and hand made items. The hotel is also about a 20 minute taxi drive to Bridgetown which is worth visiting while you are in Barbados for shopping. We spent about 3 hours here. Oisten's is a 5 minute drive away too which is a fish market and you should visit Oisten's Fish Fry which happens every Friday night. The food is delicious.

The only downside....one week wasn't long enough, I was upset to leave.

Overall the Bougainvillea Beach Resort is a beautiful hotel and I'd recommend it to anyone. When I next return to Barbados I will be definitely staying here.

Thanks for a great holiday.
Jo and Rick
London, England.

north carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

We were so happy with the Bougainvillea Beach Resort. We had a studio room and it was very roomy and cozy, with a kitchen, separate bedroom, and large, nice balcony overlooking the pool and ocean. The grounds are lovely. The hotel staff found out it was my birthday and sent a bottle of champagne. I would stay at this resort again in a heartbeat.

Christ Church Barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

If you seek total relaxation with true dedicated and friendly staff who are committed to making you stay the best it can be, then Bouganvillea is heaven. Tropical furnishings with caribbean charm and lusturious tropical gardens was what my fiance and my self needed to unwind. We both work in the tourism business and rate this hotel among the best. Ill be back
Sandra and Steve

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!