“D & E... Loved Barbados !!!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Maxwell Coast Road, Barbados   |
Special Offer
INSTANT SAVINGS
Kirkland, Canada
“D & E... Loved Barbados !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

First time to Barbados for us. Loved every minute. The hotel was very nice. Quiet area. We booked a deluxe studio. The first room was on the second floor facing the pool and ocean, but we could not really see the ocean because of the trees.My husband went right down to the front desk to ask if a room with a view of the ocean was available. They asked us to go to the bar for a drink and within 1/2 hr our room was ready# 5302 on the 3rd floor looking right at the ocean and pool !! Good size rooms, big bathroom, small kitchette with 2 ring hotplate , toaster, kettle,coffee pot and all the dishes cutlery etc.King beds were very comfortable...room nice and bright ! Lovely big balcony with table 4 chairs and a lounge chair. We ate at both of the restaurants on the property. Food was good...a little pricey ! If we go back...we would like a one bedroom with a full kitchen to be able to make a few more meals. Bring food from home to help keep your costs down. We bought tea,coffee,cereal,eng muffins,butter cheese,jam, peanut butter etc.... groceries are expensive so take what you can from home !! Taxis are at the front lobby...bus is great...just a walk up the road. We checked out other hotels in busier areas, but preferred this quiet area to stay...then go out to the other parts when we felt like it ! Did a private tour of the island with Paul Payne which was great ! Got to see things that we were interested in and he showed us places that he thought we should see too ! Great day ! We did a catamaran cruise with Captain Ron on the " Wasn't me " and had a great day swimming with the turtles ...floating around the calm ocean and eating some great bajan food and drinking some great drinks ! Saw the island sights from the ocean too ! We went to Oisten's fish fry on friday night ...don't miss that ! St Lawrence Gap for suppers and a couple of lunches. We did a few nice local places to eat & drink ...great people...very welcoming and we felt very safe wandering around. The whole trip was just wonderful and can't wait to go back !! Lots more to see ......

Room Tip: We liked the west side of the hotel...brighter...better views. Because of the beautiful flowering tr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This review will be purely based on the hotel as I will write other reviews on the rest of our holiday under the appropriate titles. My (now) fiance and I stayed here from the 27/06/14 - 11/08/14. During our stay we had to move room twice so we officially stayed in 3 of the rooms. When we arrived check-in was quick and easy and the bellboy was pleasant and took all our bags to our room. I have went through recent abdominal surgery and when we realized our first room was on the 4th floor of a hotel with no elevator we thought - no way, we have to ask for a lower room. We stayed in the room for a couple of nights but was too much for me especially climbing in the heat so we asked for a lower room and this was accommodated thankfully! The air-conditioning was also terrible in this room. When we moved to the 2nd floor we had a great room and were very happy especially as the air-conditioning was the best out the 2 rooms. We always had a view across the pools and beach. We were in block 5. In the last week of our holiday the toilet started to play up. It wasn't flushing as quickly as before and after a few days it completely backed up! We phoned reception where I spoke to a rather cheeky person. Never the less the handyman was sent to the room and after a while got his boss and we were told that they had to relocate our room as the problem wasn't fixable - our relocation was to be back to the 4th floor!!! My fiance phoned the reception and told them this was not possible for before mentioned reasons and we were told there were no more rooms but they would call back. On call back we were told they had found a ground floor room. The ground floor room was as nice as the other 2 we had been in although we had a tiny plunge pool outside the patio doors. We enjoyed our last 4 days in this room although the air-conditioning was back to terrible again. All rooms are decorated almost exactly the same and the sheets are supposed to be changed once per week but ours was not - this was no problem as we changed rooms so much. We went at the beginning of the rainy season. When it did rain it was torrential! The bonus was the down pours only lasted at most 20 minutes. The rain floods the reception area as it is in the turret part of the hotel which is widely open to the elements. Ground floor rooms would also have water coming through the gap under their front door during these down pours. Many people were blocking their doors with their beach towels. On to the rest of the hotel - the reception staff were usually quite nice as were the bellboys but both of the restaurants staff lacked manners. The menus were very repetitive and well over priced! We struggled to find where the Bajan people get their reputation of being nice and polite people on our holiday. The gardens round the hotel are well maintained and the beach is kept clean and tidy. The pools weren't as clean as we are used to. It was nice to swim with the flowers off the surrounding plants but the water itself always looked a bit oily - more than likely sun-cream. There were no animations which was FANTASTIC! BBQs that were held once a week at Lanterns restaurant were not worth the money at all. The food was OK at most. The sea is quite wavy at the beach where this hotel is situated and it put a lot of people off going in. There are calmer beaches on the West coast of the island. We used the laundry service twice. The first time there were no problems bar a couple of missing socks and the second time was plain ridiculous! We put our laundry to the maid and 3 days later we still didn't have it back! Eventually we were told that they didn't have the laundry and that it had been sent out to an outside company to launder. My fiance and I were due to check out on the 11th and after phoning to inquire about our clothes for days we still didn't have our clothes back an hour before we were to check out of our room! My fiance raised the riot act at reception and they said that the clothes would be returned before 11am. At 10:55 our door was knocked and there was our clothes. My fiance asked if everything was there and the answer was yes. We rushed to pack everything in our cases (they were wrapped in plastic) and we realized that an very expensive cardigan style top of mine was missing! We cleared our room and went straight to the reception where we were told that everything should be there and after a lot of messing about they phoned the company who said they didn't have my top and after questioning they said "Oh yeah its here we'll bring it over". Bear in mind we are heading for the airport after we check out! After sitting for another 25 minutes a guy turned up with my top. I shoved it in the case and we left for our flight. When we got home, we went to unpack and "what a surprise" every piece of our "laundry" was still dirty! We just hadn't noticed as it was wrapped in plastic and we were rushing out the door due to waiting for it to arrive!!! I was livid about this. In all both my fiance and I would say we have stayed in nicer hotels certainly with a lot more pleasant staff in Europe. We were bothered by sellers and taxi touts on the beach as we sunbathed and the security wouldn't move them on. If we refused to buy the tat that the sellers had (at ridiculous prices) there was a tut and a under the breath comment before walking away shaking their head. A guy called Paul Payne would also come and tout for taxi work but he couldn't look you in the eye which put us right off. We aren't a picky couple but we do like to surround ourselves with people with manners and we do like to be respected if we don't want to purchase things or say no to a service. The hotel is nice. Its not scabby or run down but we have certainly been to better places. That goes for the island as a whole to be honest. Barbados was not what we expected at all. It cost an awful lot of money both for the holiday and for when we were there and we cant justify the money spent. If you do choose to go to Barbados I would advise picking a hotel on the West coast simply for the calmer water but if your not fussed then I would say that this hotel was a nice option. We would give it a 3 1/2 - 4* rating purely on the building and the gardens/beach. The Crane looked an awful lot better and we wish we had stayed there. All together - too much money for what it is (holiday as a whole). Oh before I forget - we were also required to jam our patio doors whenever we went out and especially at night time. Security also had a set time of night to walk round the ground floor rooms to flash a torch in the doors to ensure your doors were well jammed.

Room Tip: The aircon was terrible in every room we had apart from the room on the 2nd floor. I would say get...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was our first time to Barbados. My daughter and I stayed for 1 week, we had a lovely time at this hotel. The grounds are well maintained, beautiful flowers around. Right on the ocean, yes the ocean can be rough some days. The hotel rooms are clean and spacious!!! overlooking the ocean TRULY PARADISE!!!! Also, the people are warm and friendly and helpful.

My daughter had left her IPOD in the hotel lobby upon our scramble getting ready to leave Barbados to go to airport. And she realized this after half way to airport, so our taxi driver Ricardo learned of this, phoned the hotel back they held the Ipod, he dropped us off at airport to check-in. Ricardo went back to hotel to pick up the IPOD and brought it back to my daughter at the airport. This is exactly going out of his way to do something kind. Thank you Ricardo!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5226 (small blue ) it was beautiful and spacious a great view of the ocean, I don...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Esher
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here for ten days in a studio appartment. Very comfortable rooms, great beach and really friendly staff who went the extra mile when a minor thing went wrong. We went self catering so did not try the food, but the cocktails were good (try the mudslide). Minor improvements would be more umbrellas around the pool and stronger Wi-Fi!

Ballina, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The Bouganvillea is situated just beside Dover Beach, it is a lovely beach with beautiful views. Almost all of the rooms have views of the sea so this is a big bonus. Sometimes the surf is strong so a red flag is flying, on those days I would recommend to obey the flags.
The pools are quite small, but then most of the Hotels in Barbados seem to have small pools. On the west side of the hotel you have two pools, both are about 4.5' deep so both are safe for children and non swimmers. However one has seats for the bar so they don't allow under sixteens into that pool. The other one has little water falls and is very narrow, at the bottom of that there is a little paddling area suitable for toddlers. IOn the east side they have a deep pool, this is also small but is lovely and deep and is lovely for doing laps. This side is on the same side as the time share, and I got a vibe from one or two by the pool that they resented the fact that families with children were using THEIR pool. However it was only two" ladies" that scowled( they were like Harry Potters Dementors , they sucked the atmosphere from around the pool) everyone else was fine. However it was extremely quiet on that side with only some people getting into conversation.
The gardens are quite pretty, although when we were there they had a dry spell so things were a little wilted looking, still pretty though.
The rooms are large and they seem to have everything needed for a good holiday. It isn't the Ritz, and you get what you pay for, and in the case of the Bouganvillea you get good service and a good room for the price. The beds are comfortable, but the sofa beds are not comfortable. The balcony I didn't like, it was a walled balcony so sunshine just didn't flood in like in the balconies that had trellis type woodwork, this however is a small thing and wouldn't cause me to complain.
While the staff are all lovely and very friendly, the hotel itself lacks atmosphere. I am not sure If this is because it is so quiet , ( or the Dementors) or because the bar closes at 10,30 . The entertainment wasn't very good, I would rather go out in the evenings than stay in the hotel.
The staff, each and every one are fantastic, from management to the people who work in the laundry, everyone is friendly and will speak and smile when they meet you. The staff in the lanterns restaurant informed management that it was our anniversary, ( I assume it was them as we didn't say anything) and we received a surprise when we got back to our room, a lovely bottle of wine and a balloon with a lovely Card. This was a lovely Gesture and greatly appreciated.
Should we return to Barbados, then yes the Bougainvillea would be on our list, and I would recommend it as a hotel to stay in.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

So we booked to celebrate a 1 year anniversary and were accommodated with special check-in times that the hotel was flexible with us on our arrival. From having a suite filled with all the amenities of your house (electric range stove, micro, fridge, etc...+ cutlery, pans, pots, plates) and a balcony with tables/chairs and even a beach lounge chair, this was a special treat! The view from our room was great overlooking the pool/pool bar/restaurant and beach. All staff was very courteous and very helpful with any requests. Restaurants were very accommodating and delivered awesome service - we even spent a few hours chatting over drinks at the pool bar. Taxi's readily available on call from the hotel and small local general grocery store less than a block away for any emergency needs or extra drinks for the room :).

Hotel does make you pay a minimal fee for tokens to use the various game room devices if planning on using. Hotel grounds are immaculately kept with awesome floral arrangements - even the beach area offers a picturesque view. Overall very well kept and satisfied.

Room Tip: Have to request beach view or pool view for great location on property (within the inside of the hor...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

if a trip to the paradise island of Barbados is on your must do list, then you are advised to stay here at the Bougainvillea. It delivers on every single level.

Direct access to a section off beach that has the softest sand and beautiful blue and warm waters of the Atlantic sea. We have a junior suite, which is well appointed with an internal sitting area and a balcony overlooking the beach and pool areas. The bathroom is large and all of the facilities work properly and you are always provided with plenty of clean towels. This suite also comes with a small kitchen area with fridge, kettle, microwave, toaster, hot plate, well just about everything really, if you fancy rustling something up to eat yourself? Of course after a hard days lounging around on the beautiful beaches, you will need somewhere comfortable to sleep. No disappointment there, the bed is large and very comfortable with plenty of soft pillows.

Then of course there are the hotel staff, and it is hard to imagine coming across more helpful friendly people. I was unfortunate to fall ill while on holiday. The hotel made all the arrangements for me to see a local doctor, even phoning ahead so that they expected us on arrival, the duty manager then also called us back later in the day, to make sure that everything was ok. Even the lady who cleaned our room took a personal interest in my well being!

There are plenty of sockets for electrical gadgets and the free wifi in our room certainly performed well. You do have to re-register each day to maintain your connection, but this is not a problem and it allows the hotel to advise you on what is available.

Room Tip: I expect all rooms are of an equally high stadard
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
#2 of 26 in Saint James Parish
5.0 of 5 stars 398 reviews
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Mango Bay All Inclusive

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!