“Relaxing amazing time. I WILL be back” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Maxwell Coast Road, Barbados   |
Special Offer
SUMMER FAMILY FUN
Newmarket, Canada
“Relaxing amazing time. I WILL be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was such a wonderful Vacation. The rooms were one of the roomiest most inviting rooms we have ever stayed in!

The pools were clean and so refreshing. The huge beach front on either ends of the hotel were great.

I will be back!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

1,298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Rockaway Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Bougainvillea for 12 days in April for our wedding and honeymoon and let me just say it was absolutely wonderful! Our families also joined us for 4 days and they too loved it! Had a smooth and impressive check in. We were taken off the line and checked in by a girl at the activities desk and another lady brought over nice, cold wet towels for us. We then met our wedding coordinator, Ria, who patiently explained everything about the big day to us. We were given free drink vouchers and brought to our room, despite being there before check in time. The room was lovely and spacious, beautiful bathroom/shower, comfy bed and gorgeous balcony overlooking the pool and beach. Heaven! Bougainvillea was placed all over the room, there was pink champagne in the fridge and a card from the staff congratulating us on our upcoming wedding. The hotel itself is beautiful and just has such a wonderful feel about it. The swim-up pool bar is awesome, the grounds are gorgeous and the beach is definitely one of the best along this coast. Plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas too. The water as some have said can be a bit rough at times but usually later in the day and if its too rough theres 3 great pools to cool off in. We ate dinner twice at Lanters and breakfast there almost every day. We did the dinner bbq buffets and they were quite good! Didnt do the breakfast buffet--because their omelettes are to die for and i ended up having one almost every day! Some have complained about the service at Lanterns but we never had any problems. The manager in the evenings, cant remember his name (but he jokes about how people think he looks like obama if thats any help), is wonderful, friendly and really deserves recognition. He was fabulous the night of our wedding, made us feel very special as did our waitress, I think her name was Lakeisha. All the waitresses at breakfast were wonderful as well. Not one was unpleasant. Actually, no staff member we encountered was unpleasant. Baffles me when I read some reviews that state otherwise. Getting around the island is no problem! Taxis are always outside the hotel and all the drivers are wonderful. Read some complaints about them. If you use Bougainvillea taxis you probably wont have any problems. Just stick to the guys right outside the entrance and avoid the ones who hang out in the lot across the street. These guys will get to know you and will look out for you. Our taxi drivers always waited for us or came back to get us. If not, they had a trusted friend or colleague get us. For the person who said in their review that Barbados is run down, unloved and unfriendly-im sorry, they must be mad. Barbados is beautiful and weve traveled the caribbean extensively and i find the people of Barbados to be the most friendly. This was our 3rd time back to Barbados. We chose it for our wedding and for our family for a reason. As for the hotel being a bit out of the way, well everythings a little out of the way in Barbados but nothing a short taxi ride cant get you to. You are 10 min. from nightlife and amazing restaurants. Dont be scared by negative reviews of the gap being run down and people chasing you to buy things-not true. Maybe if your in Jamaica, lol, but here they sit at their tables, selling their items. Nobodys being pushy or coming after you, and they gap area is actually clean and well lit. Safe to walk along at night, but of course always be aware and use good judgement. Just as you would at home. And people, Barbados isnt the U.S. or England. Its the caribbean and parts of the caribbean will always look a little run down, will always have cows, chickens etc. To me, its authentic, its real and its part of the charm. If your looking for glity, fake or vegas in the caribbean, go to Aruba or the atlantis in the bahamas. If you want a caribbean of yesterday, heres your destination. I cant stress enough how great this place is. Go! And if your considering a caribbean wedding, these guys are fabulous and the locations to die for. Ria and Shemora are outstanding, and even though it rained on our wedding day, they had it all under control and we had the best time ever. And by the way, dont listen to lady who complained about frogs being noisy at night-its not that loud, and its kinda soothing. I am saddened at some of the recent negative reviews i read. I love this island and hotel, and those reviews are unjust. If anyone is thinking of a visit and has any questions, feel free to message me.

Ire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Had a really lovely stay here. Room was more of an apartment than a room:separate bedroom, very big bathroom; kitchen well stocked with fridge freezer; toaster; kettle; bowls, cups, glasses; tea towels etc; dining area; couch and then out onto a big balcony with table & 4 chairs plus one lounger. Room was always clean. Found staff at reception fine and booked a couple of activities with them which all ran very smoothly! (The catamaran trip has to be done - snorkelling with the turtles is great!).
Swim up pool is great to have and there were always plenty of sun loungers both around the pool and at the beach. (We were there in off-season). Availed of the free body-boards also which is great to have available. The guys at this kiosk are great and very prompt at getting sun umbrellas and also noted that they were quick to call in the jet-skis/sailing boats when a guest asked for same. Plus there is outdoor chess and shuffle board! There are also some indoor games such as a pool table; indoor hopscotch etc. but you need to buy tokens for to play. We ate at lantern's restaurant twice - once for lunch and once for breakfast. Lunch service was fine but took a little while for food to come. Breakfast was more problematic - we were standing for quite a while waiting to be seated. The place was not busy - 3 other tables out of approx. 30 and 5 or 6 staff members. We ordered off the menu - again took a while to get order taken. When we were initially given the menus, we were asked if we wanted tea or coffee - my partner ordered coffee and just as I was about to request tea for myself but the waitress had turned on her heels! When the coffee arrived, I ordered some tea but this was forgotten about until the next request when the food arrived! I had also ordered some pineapple juice which wasn't available - they only had orange and cherry. Not a huge deal but one of their main drinks at the bar 10 feet away is rum and pineapple so its a juice that is stocked at the bar. Food finally came, mine was missing potatoes and waitress was a tad abrupt - even the small gesture of slapping one hand off the palm of her other when the item was requested left me uncomfortable. While I have never underpaid for food, I do reserve the standard tipping policy of tipping if and when service is good and warrants it. What is gauling is when it is automatically added! We had to pay an extra 10% service charge automatically for slow service. Food is good here by the way - no complaints at all about the quality by the way but the concept of tips is an additional charge that customers may opt to leave if the service has been particularly good. I thought the location was great and overall I did enjoy my stay here - one breakfast blip was not going to ruin the holiday!
As an aside, the taxis are a rip off. They charge $20 BRD/$10US to get into St. Lawrence Gap - we twigged after the first evening that you can easily walk in along the beach up the Gap in about 20mins. you pass a couple of the other hotels where people are eating out and we didn't encounter any problems (unless you are a little nervous of crabs scuttling about every now and again...but they are very cute!). If you want to get into Bridgetown - wait for a Reggae Cab - these are white mini-buses with a maroon stripe. It will cost each person $2BRD/$1US each way. All taxis have a "Z" reg and these are ZR. Definitely head to Oistinns Fish fry on a friday night! Great fish and great fun! A must!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Resort and our room was very nice, The air conditioning is just ok but it does work and it is set up with motion detectors so when you are out of the room it heats up. The kitchen had everything we needed to make breakfast everyday which we like to do so we do not have to get up and dressed if we do not want to. The check in was great only about 5 minutes and they gave us great lemonade. Water is safe in Barbados so no problems doing dishes etc.
Check out was also easy.

Good things: great Ocean view and pools were very nice. Two Restaurants on site and room service pizza one night was very good but menu is limited and if you are on a two meal a day schedule this could be a problem as dinner does not start until 6:30 PM each day. Dinner menu is just ok for us but service was good but as other reviewers have said count on 1.5 to 2 hours. The beach is very nice and you can take a nice walk which in many places in Barbados is not possible. Third floor room had a great view and sea breeze all the time. Cable TV so we could watch the Master's Golf tournament.

Bad things: The room was pretty clean but could have been better the floor would get your feet dirty, The shower water temperature would change a lot but never to the point of scalding you mostly got cold for about 30 seconds just plan on some time to take a little longer shower as you wait for the hot water to come back.

Room Tip: Room 3333 is an end room overlooking the pool and beach view. Very quiet no elevator but they will...
Franklin, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The beach: beautiful, but waves/currents to big for a so-so swimmer. I could only enter the water once safely during the weak. But that is because I am a so-so swimmer who is now overly timid from a previous bad experience on another island. There is no lifeguard.

The hotel grounds: well kept, as pictured on the website.

The Rooms: simple, practical well equipped. The mattress was horrible. My niece and I both woke up with crippling backaches every morning. I requested a bed board and they suggested we start by just taking the gel pad off the top of the mattress, which did help but not good enough. I should of called back to get the bed board, but regrettably I didn't. Also the back bedroom, which abutted the parking lot was subjected to alot of noice--esp from the rolling trash cans. The walls are paper thin.

Restaurants: food was tasty but nothing special, limited options, too pricey
Staff: reception--not friendly at all, one of the women was blatently rude repeatedly. Security --ever present and friendly (Clayton was esp good). Waitstaff--friendly, but not prompt. Barstaff--most friendly (Roxanne, Sonia, and Jose) and another was not. My big complaint here is the lack of properly cleaning the plastic re-usable glassware--it is basically a rinsing, soap is sometimes used. I mentions this because I spent my last 3 days there confined to my room because of severe diarrhea. At first, I thought it was just me, but I learned that three other guests that my niece had spoken with also had diarrhea. I mentioned it to the front desk and they merely dismissed me. The hotel is very environmentally conscious BUT if they are not going to properly disinfected the drinkware and utensils they should use disposable.

Taxi service: I had a bad experience with one of the driver's authorized by the hotel (David--he has a plastic moose figurine on his dash). We asked to be taken to a breakfast place one rainy morning and then to the supermarket briefly. He quoted the fare for this as $20 American dollars roundtrip. we hesitated on the 'roundtrip' part because didn't want to be bound to David. But he assured us if we have the restaurant call his phone number he would come get us and then take us to the supermarket and back to the hotel. We agreed. He dropped us at the restaurant. When we finished we went across the street to the gas station and bought the few groceries we needed. The restaurant willingly called David for us. We waited quite a while and another taxi driver came up to us and asked if we were waiting for David because David had sent him. So on the way back the driver pull into the parking lot of a grocery store. We show him our bags and told him we no longer needed groceries. So we pulled out and went back to the hotel. This driver charged us an extra $5 because he brought us to the grocery store (included in the initial quote). But we pay the driver $25 American. Our last day, the hotel gets us a taxi to take us to the airport. It is again David. We are happy to see a familiar face and get in chatting the entire way. When he is removing out luggage from the car, he tells us we owe him another $10 because we never paid for the return trip from the restaurant. We inform him we paid his driver. He insists we owe him the money. Now if we were in debted to him, he should have mentioned this upon seeing us enter his car or during the 'chatting' on the drive. No he waits until we are at the end of the drive and springs this big scam on us. Foolishly, we paid the additional $10 he was scamming from us (as we did the $5 additional the other driver scammed). I was disgusted. I plan on notifying the hotel of the scam and hope people read this review to be aware of the scam.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the fact that we had a ground level room near the pool bar. It was a quick trip into the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BougainvilleaResort, Manager at Bougainvillea Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and regret that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that your comments were taken seriously, particularly as several points are simply not in keeping with our standard. Your concerns were investigated and addressed where necessary.

We do want to apologise to you for any negative experience that you had as our goal is to have all of our guests return to home with happy memories of Bougainvillea and Barbados.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We came here on our honeymoon. For a price they would upgrade us to a honeymoon offer nothing except for two drink tickets and a four hr wait to get into our room. Waste of a whole day. Nothing close to walk to rooms are less than satisfactory. The front desk less than friendly. STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE !!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Morgan S, Manager at Bougainvillea Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hello SandiL22,

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor about your experience at Bougainvillea Resort. Please allow me to respond to your comments. Guest feedback is important to us, as it allows us to evaluate our product, service and overall operation and make changes when necessary.

Bougainvillea only offers free upgrades based on availability if you have booked a honeymoon package. If you had done so rest assured we would have upgraded you without any problem. We are acutely aware of how special your Honeymoon is and should you have had any reasonable requests, and made us aware of them we would have been more than happy to oblige.

Our Check In time at the hotel is 4:00pm, however we do move our guests as quickly as possible into rooms should they become available before then. To ease your wait and ensure that you relax and enjoy your holiday we also provided you with Complimentary Drinks Vouchers which you could have used at any of the bars on property or you could enjoy the air conditioned comfort of our Hospitality Lounge.

We are saddened to hear that your perception is there was 'nothing close to walk to'. Obviously this is a subjective matter, but the fact remains that we are located less than 20 minute walk to either of the South Coasts major entertainment areas of St Lawrence the Gap and Oistins.

We are very sorry to hear that you found our Front Desk Staff to be 'less than friendly'. Please know this is most definitely not our standard, if not the exact opposite of what we are accustomed to hearing.

In closing, I am more than confident that your experience with us was the exception and not the standard and we would love an opportunity to welcome you back to Bougainvillea on your next visit. As evidenced by the many, many satisfied guests that have also posted reviews here on TripAdvisor, we'd love an opportunity to restore your faith in us. Feel free to contact our Guest Services Manager Maggie Rowe directly, and she would be happy to personally assist you.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We originally booked this hotel when the ash cloud came over and unfortunately forced a cancellation. Due to the inflated cost of traveling to Barbados we finally got there this year. So lets start.

Hotel itself is very nice with well maintained grounds. Absolutely beautiful beach, by far the best we seen on the island.Pools were average and very small which is a shame as the hotel photos are deceiving. Water is choppy and rough but this gives it great character.

Room was good - 3229 which backed onto the restaurant. Good see views. Cant really complain.

Food as well documented on here is below average with an above average price tag. The rooms are well equipped with kitchen equipment of you wish to cook. Be warned food shopping is approx 20% higher than UK. Bit of a rock and a hard place - eat out anywhere on the island and pay dearly or sin and cook and pay dearly.

The reason for mixed emotions was the room was great, beach and weather was great but.....

Why has no one mentioned the deafening frogs at night. the glazing in the rooms is very poor and the frogs at night are incredibly noisy. An act of nature that better fitted windows could have helped with.

We were woken up at 05:30am by staff starting there day with radios blaring in the eating areas from 06:30am. again the windows could have helped with this.

Staff in general were disengaging and overall appearance of not being happy - but this was indicative of our whole experience.

St Lawrence gap is a den - untidy, poorly maintained and unwelcoming with street seller willing to follow you for 5 mins trying to force a sale.

Bridgetown was horrendous - being asked if you want a taxi every 2 minutes was infuriating. If you have been to Thailand - its as bad as that.

Limegrove - dumped there for 3 hours by the shuttle with around half an hour worth of shops to look at was annoying.

Taxi drivers give the island a bad name - total rip off and in cahoots with the shuttle bus drivers. the shuttle buses are free but everywhere we went we were dumped and left to our own devices for hours and when you were expecting the bus to turn up taxi drivers would turn up and badger you for a fare. Funnily enough they would always know when the bus was delayed and sit and mock you saying "its going to be dark soon" "when ever you get bored waiting my car is over there" - really disappointing. and dont get me started on he difference in fares.

All i all Barbados gets a big thumbs down - everyone is out to make a dishonest buck where possible. The island is run down, unloved and neglected and the cost is massively inflated compared to other islands we have visited in terms of value or even return on your money. The island does not have that happy Caribbean feel and that's a shame - go to Grenada for that oldy worldy feel.

Room Tip: Stay away from the restaurant areas.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BougainvilleaResort, Manager at Bougainvillea Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you very much for being our recent guest and for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. Guest feedback is extremely important to us, as it allows us to evaluate our product, service and overall operations and allows us to make changes when appropriate. I regret to read that your experience fell short of your expectations.

Regarding your observations on our food and restaurants, in Barbados, the range is extensive, there are very nice small diners offering great meals for as low as $20 to the really upscale restaurants. I f you wanted to treat yourself and have a fine dining experience you could have a three course meal at Champers or Tapas for approximately US$50. However, if you would like to really indulge, we have five diamond restaurants such as The Cliff, Cin Cin, Lonestar, Tides and several others, those highlighted are just a few of the options available. There is something for everyone.

Barbados, being a tropical island is a natural habitat for many species of birds, insects and yes, frogs. The frog is a native of our island and is considered by most to be an attraction, While we offer sound-proofed glass on our guestroom windows, please never hesitate to request a room in a different location if you have any noise sensitivities on your future visits.

Our employees are the single most important resource and to this end are extensively trained to provide fast, efficient and friendly experiences for you our valued guests. Barbadians by nature are friendly and welcoming and known for their sunny disposition. I am sincerely sorry that your entire experience in Barbados was not what you had hoped for.

There are so many things to see and do on the island, it is likely that you did not experience much of what is there to enjoy. Bridgetown, Lime grove and St. Lawrence gap are certainly popular options but there is so much more. The complimentary shuttle to both Bridgetown and Limegrove is optional. The high end shops at the Limegrove Lifestyle Centre number just under one hundred and are home to designers such as Cartier, Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Gucci, Tag Heuer and Jaeger to name just a few. I agree that this selection of stores is not suitable for everyone’s palate or budget and so it is understandable that only half of an hour may be needed for the less avid shopper.

In closing, we thank you so much for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Bougainvillea to hopefully restore your faith in us.

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!