Our family of four (two boys ages 8 and 11) recently stayed in a two bedroom suite at Bougainvillea. The room itself was fantastic and featured a living room / dining room, half bath, and full kitchen on one floor and two bedrooms and two baths on the second floor. Each floor also sported a generous covered balcony with excellent views of the beach. The suite was comfortable, spacious and clean.
The resort itself was nice, and the staff was helpful. There were two restaurants and a swim up bar. We purchased provisions for breakfast, and only ate at Lanterns a few times for lunch, and the food was fine and the service generally was solid (although once there was a bit of a wait) but not spectacular. The blackened flying fish sandwich was a favorite. We did not dine at the resort in the evening, so cannot speak to dinner service.
We found our children were generally made to feel welcome. They were disappointed that they were not able to use the swim up bar (children under 16 were excluded from the pool), but the bartenders Sonia and Jose graciously made them their virgin drinks landside. Our visit corresponded with some rough waters, so we were disappointed that ocean swimming was frequently prohibited, although staff was always friendly when asking us to come out of the water (and we understood the resort is not responsible for nature). We found the beaches to be clean and well tended, and the water sport staff to be friendly and helpful.
The resort, at least during our visit, was on the quiet side. There were other families with children and a few multi-generational parties. The kids club did not appear to be very active during our stay, and seemed to operate mostly by enough demand. There was a small game room for the children with ping pong, billiards, air hockey, etc, which our children enjoyed. The pools are clean and well kept but on the smaller side.
The resort itself was pretty and well kept, but not dazzlingly new or modern. If you are looking for a large, self contained, ultra modern resort, with lots of entertainment and fine dining options, this probably is not the place for you. However, if you are looking for a more low key resort in a nice setting, this would be a very good choice. The staff and other guest were endearing, and we enjoyed the resort as a stepping off point for exploring the island.
The location is good, being a short cab or bus ride from St. Lawrence Gap and Oistin, and these locations are walkable for the adventurous during the day (nighttime with narrow streets and limited sidewalks would make this more challenging. We found many excellent restaurants within a short distance, such as Champers, Tapas and Nara. And we enjoyed the fish fry in Oistin, visiting Pat's on one Friday and Fred's on the other. Our kids loved the catamaran sail on El Tigre, and visiting more remote parts of the Island on a private tour with Charlie.
We very much enjoyed our stay at Bougainvillea.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bougainvillea is the one that offers it all. Edged by two beautiful beaches, the resort, well known for its personal-touch and service, has 138 spacious suites which are just footsteps from the sand. Mediterranean style architecture surrounded by tropical gardens and the namesake Bougainvillea flowers create a tranquil setting, yet the location is merely minutes from south coast hotspots, making it an ideal base for exploring Barbados. Recommended for couples or families, the roomy suites all have ocean-facing balconies with breathtaking views and conveniences including kitchens, free Wi-Fi, IPAD/IPOD docking stations and flat screen TVs. Junior suites, one and two bedrooms have dining/living areas with sofa bed. As a full service leisure resort, Bougainvillea has three swimming pools, a swim-up bar with daily happy hour, two beachfront restaurants, well-equipped fitness centre, luxurious Spa services, watersports, tennis court, Kids Club, Teen games room and outdoor play park. Entertainment is also offered several nights per week. Bougainvillea is a green hotel and has been awarded the Travelife GOLD award and the EarthCheck PLATINUM award for its commitment to the environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, Booking.com, Expedia, Regatta Hotels, Priceline, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Bougainvillea Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bougainvillea Beach Hotel Christ Church
- Bougainvillea Barbados
- Hotel Bougainvillea Beach
- Bougainvillea Resort
- Beach Bougainvillea Resort
- Bougainvillea Hotel Barbados
- Bougainvillea Beach Resort Barbados/Christ Church Parish