“Bougainvillea - great as usual!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Bougainvillea Beach Resort to your Saves list
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Maxwell Coast Road, Barbados   |
Pickering, Canada
“Bougainvillea - great as usual!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I, along with my extended family, just returned from 9 days at the Bougainvillea resort. It was our first time in Barbados since 2003, as we have spent the last several winter vacations exploring other areas of the Caribbean. This was our eighth trip to Barbados and our fifth time at this resort, and it was a pleasure to return. We requested to stay on the older side of the resort (Sand Acres). Although the rooms and fixtures on this side of the resort are not as modern as the newer part, it is it is quieter and not crowded. My family requested a one-bedroom and two superior studios, and were extremely happy when upgraded to three one bedroom suites. On the last day of our stay, we were also extended the kind courtesy of being able to checkout at noon vs. 11am. Obviously, return patronage does have its benefits.

The grounds are well maintained; the rooms are clean and the beach is gorgeous. The staff are friendly, gracious and helpful, especially Donnie who dropped by everyday just to make sure we were happy with everything. The pool bar staff …. Sonia, Roxanne and Jose … were great … thank you for your smiles and kind service.

I highly recommend this resort and hope to return again next year.

Room Tip: The older section of the resort offers better views of the ocean and is quieter than the newer secti...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Justinitforfun, Owner at Bougainvillea Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thanks so much for your review. We have a really dedicated team and it is heart warming when we hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We travel widely and try to make Bougainvillea a place that we would really enjoy spending our limited holiday time. Hope to welcome you back soon.
Gordon Seale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Mansfield, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I just spent 9 days at the Bougainvillea Beach Resort in Barbados with my husband, sister and brother in law and niece, we had so much fun. the resort is small but has everything you can possible need, the staff was so friendly, especially Jose Manuel and Roxanne they both worked at the pool/beach bar so nice and helpful, the staff at the watersports, towel and umbrella hut very friendly and helpfull.. housekeeping so sweet and helpfull, the front desk/activities desk would do anything for you!! we were in the older building and it could use a little updating the bed was so hard we really didnt sleep well (my only complaint), my sister was in the new section about 10 steps from the ocean her room much more modern very nice room.. if you are looking for a great room on the ground floor ask for room # 5123... Barbados is an amazing island my only other complaint is the cost of taxis and they charge per person which to me is very silly what does it matter if you are 2 or 4 you are going to the same place, was not impressed with that rule..
I can not wait to go back and I will defineltly stay at the Bougainvillea Beach Resort but in the new section and hopefully have a better bed!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Uckfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Just come back from two weeks at this hotel its a great location the beach is beautiful we had a top floor room but did change to a ground floor as no lifts it is very clean and staff where friendly we did go to the weekly managers cocktail party and barbecue but they did under cater as there was a few if us and when it came to desert there wasnt any left and all they said was they where having problems didnt offer us a drink or anything which I think was very bad after that we didnt use the restaurant but talking to others it wasnt very good. The restaurants in the area where very good the italian down the road Azuls and I must say if you want a treat champers was excellent. I must just say that smoking is a no no the only place you can smoke is on the beach or at the front of the hotel not even on your balcony there is nowhere you can sit and have a drink to relax which the Canadians and us English felt was most unwelcoming and so everyone went elsewhere at night which was a shame as the entertainment was quite good as there was ten us it would have been a lot of money taken in an evening as it was the bar seem very quiet at night.

Room Tip: There is not lifts so I would choose a ground floor but if you have children the second floor as bal...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We really enjoyed our 3-night stay at the Bougainvillea Hotel. Our 1-bedroom suite was clean and quiet, and the kitchen was well-equipped. The hotel amenities were excellent and the beach was beautiful. The waves were not too big and I didn't worry about any undertows. The hotel staff were quite helpful and service was prompt. They helped us rent a car for the day and when a vendor from the manager's cocktail party failed to deliver a bracelet i bought, the hotel manager refunded my money without any hassle. They handled it very well, I thought. We would definitely stay again in Bougainvillea when we have another chance to visit Barbados.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed at Bougainvillea for 1 week starting with January 19th till January 26th. The location is great, as it is close to the airport and you can easily get from here wherever you want to get in Barbados - Lawrence Gap, Oistins, East Coast, West Coast, Bridgetown, you name it... The beach in front of the hotel is also nice. We had a junior suite, which had a fully equipped kitchen and overall was pretty large. The hotel, in general, and the room itself are not the most modern, if you know what I mean, so if you are looking for something modern and slick, this is not the place to choose. Also, for the price paid, the overall decor (furniture I mean) could be better... The place is relatively well maintained and the staff is extremely friendly. The restaurants on premises are ok, but I found them to be overpriced.
Overall I had a good experience at Bougainvillea.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at the Bourganvillea resort in Oct 2012, my husband, myself and our 8 yr old daughter. From the moment we arrived we felt so welcome and fell in love with the resort. Our room was on the ground floor and was impeccably clean. We had our own breakfast area that over looked the pools and beautiful beach view.
The staff were so friendly and ever helpful, especially Roxanne and Sonia who looked after us throughout our stay. The food in The Lanterns Beach side restaurant was reasonably priced and breakfast and the Burger was gorgeous!!! Highly recommend! We always felt very safe and this was important to me, especially for my daughter, as she was able to wander around the resort from beach to pool on her own - within reason!
We used the "BoomBoom" buses to get around to Oistins ( the nearest supermarket) and trips to the gorgeous restaurants in St Lawrence Gap.
We went on an excursion to swim with turtles on a Katamaran - it was amazing!!!
We also used Alonzo and his a/c minibus to have a trip around the island and he kindly drove us all over the island showing the sites for a reasonable charge.
My husband ventured to the local bar opposite the resort, a locals pub and was treated like a king, they were so hospitable and friendly, allowing him to taste the local brew - too much for my liking but he had an amazing time with them!
All in all I cannot wait to return to the resort because it truly was paradise!!

Room Tip: I would upgrade again for a beach view because having a breakfast area was a real treat to sit overl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Bougainvillea in Barbados is our home away from home. We've spent many, many idyllic summers there with the children but this trip there were lots of high expectations as it was our teenage children’s first Christmas in Barbados. We had booked two weeks over the Christmas period and there were expecting a lot!

My husband and I and the teenagers were literally spoilt, we felt so special. The staff at Bougainvillea was, as usual, extremely attentive and it was their mission for us to have a fabulous time.

We arrived on the 19th December and were pleasantly surprised to see the carol singers is full swing belting out Christmas favorites and the hotel decorated very festively indeed. This set the scene for what was in store over the Christmas holidays and we were not disappointed.

The highlights for us were:-

The annual fashion show which was a great hit with our teenage daughter as she was allowed to strut her stuff down the boardwalk along with other guests and we in the audience were treated to Bajan Christmas cake and drinks.

Christmas day will never be the same again. It was just fantastic, the mood at breakfast that morning in the restaurant was electric as the children all waited for Santa’s arrival and boy did he do it in style. He arrived on the beach to loud steel pan music and an escort of dancers. All the young children received presents from him.

Then there was the New Years Eve extravaganza. The theme was “around the world” and the restaurant and nearby beach was fitting adorned with marquees that depicted various countries and their cuisines. After supper we were treated to a spectacular show and cabaret then the dancing began followed by fireworks at midnight.

Our entire holiday was just brilliant and this was made possible by the very dedicated staff at bougainvillea. We would like to say a special thank you to Leena, Averil and Maggie for making our Christmas so special. Also to all the extremely helpful front desk ladies and housekeeping staff.

Have already started planning our next Christmas there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!