“A great week!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Maxwell Coast Road, Barbados   |
NY
“A great week!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed at the Bougainvillea for 7 nights over Christmas week. Gorgeous beach!! The staff was courteous and friendly. The resort was clean, felt safe and the rooms were comfortable. Two comments however: the adult pool swim up bar was regularly filled with kids and made it impossible for adults (in the adult only pool!) to swim up and have a drink. And, Lanterns Restaurant needs serious help -- the food was good but the service was truly horrible! In a half empty restaurant, it should not take 30 minutes to get a check; tables farthest from the kitchen got the worst service bc wait staff was intercepted by tables they passed first; they took " island time" and slowed it to a crawl! Make note before you go: Barbados, including restaurants at this resort, is very expensive! I've been to many caribbean islands and this was by far the priciest.
And last, although we do not have children, it was magical to see the dancers and Santa come up the beach on Christmas morning!!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the ocean....can go wrong falling asleep to the sound of waves!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Hello to our beloved Bougainvillea!!! Apologies for the extreme delay in our review - truth is I thought I did this when we came back but unfortunately it did not post! If it says anything, August 2011 was our first trip to Barbados and we have been back 4 times in the last year. Upon arriving to the resort, we were greeted by the always friendly Melissa, who was so kind and sweet. She let us know they were just putting the finishing touches on our room and gave us free drink tickets to go have a famous rum punch on them. How sweet!

A very nice gentleman came and got our luggage and showed us down to the bar. My first impression was met with extreme delight when I saw the cleanliness of the grounds and the absolutely breathtaking beauty that is the Caribbean Sea. The bartender was a very sweet and spunky woman who made us the best rum punch I think we have had to date!!!

There was a call to the bar from the front desk to let us know our room was ready. Upon arriving to our room, we were greeted with rose petals all over the room, champagne and a beautiful welcome card. When the curtains were drawn the site of the ocean view took my breath away. The room was large and spacious, with a very comfortable bed and sitting area, lovely local magazines and a fully equipped kitchen. Right after we got settled in, I turned around to my surprise to find my now husband on his knee proposing to me in our room!! What a way to start our vacation.

When we went down to the front desk, they immediately noticed the new sparkly accessory and congratulated us. They again offered us drink coupons to celebrate.

We spent 5 nights and 6 days on the beautiful beach. We also explored the island, hired a car for a day to see the sites, headed out on a catamaran ride with Cool Runnings, went to Harrison's Cave and had to go to Oistins!! At night, we ventured out and walked a couple blocks to Pablo Dante's. We had the time of our lives there. The Bajan people are so amazing and welcoming; like no other island in the Caribbean we have been to.

We ate at the bar and were pleasantly surprised with the jerk chicken rolls, sweet potato fries and sliders. We also ate at Lanterns literally in the sand at sunset - it was so romantic that I really didn't care what was on the plate!

We thoroughly enjoyed our bartender and fast friend, Lindon. We actually ran into him at Oistins about a month later and had a grand time with him and his friend!! We also kept in touch with Melissa for a while but lost contact. We missed them so much that on our last trip there (we got married on the island this August but because our party was so large opted for a different location) we went to the Bougainvillea to see Melissa and Lindon and even left our hotel information and phone numbers since they weren't there. If that doesn't tell you the impression left by these amazing people I don't know what will!

We will be back at the Bougainvillea from July 22 to August 2 for crop over and we are SO excited to see everyone again!!

Thank you to the Bougainvillea family for making us part of it by treating us so amazing. We can't wait to see you all again!!

Anne and Lesly Edmond

• Stayed August 2012
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed a week at Bougainvillea from December 8-15th. We also booked this resort mainly from trip advisor reviews but also for the location. It exceeded my expectations. It was a lovely resort with a very caribbean vibe. We had a lovely deluxe one bedroom suite with a nice terrace overlooking the pools and an ocean view..it seemed as if most of the rooms had some sort of ocean view because of the way the rooms are situated but I could be wrong..The room had one king size bed that me, my husband and daughter slept in comfortably..I do have to say that the bedding could be a little more comfortable, the sheets were very thin as well as the blanket on the bed, there was no comforter and we did freeze one night because we had the A/C turned up a little too high...we learned not to turn the A/C too high at night..One of our bedroom windows broke after the 1st night, we told the ladies at the front desk and they promptly sent someone up to fix the window....the bathroom was very spacious but the only downside is there are no outlets in the bathroom for a blowdryer or curling/straightener iron...I had to do my hair in the living area every evening, which was no big deal really.....the kitchen was almost a full size kitchen...we did not cook anything on the stove but we did use the refrigerator for water, milk, drinks, etc. and it came in very handy....I absolutely loved the terrace, there was a table with four chairs and also a full size lounge chair that I took a nice nap on every afternoon...The lobby was very beautiful with red, green, and purple lights and a beautiful christmas tree...the pools were nice, I have to say they weren't as big as I had thought from the pictures online but it was suitable for us..I did think the pool water was a little chilly and I actually perferred the ocean water, but it could be the time of the year also, maybe in the summer the pool water may be a little warmer....we loved the swim up bar also...By far the best part of the hotel is the beach! The beach was beautiful, not too crowded and plenty of lounge chairs to choose from...For those people who want nice, calm water, this might not be the spot for you...There were waves everyday, some days rougher than others....I personally did not think it was anything too rough to swim though but it isn't as calm as some of the areas up the west coast...The restaurant Lantern's was excellent...We ate there for breakfast almost every morning, a few days for lunch and 2 nights for dinner...They had a bajan barbecue night one of the nights and the food was excellent...The service was good, a little slow at Lanterns restaurant but everyone was very nice and accomodating...The location of the hotel was great, it was about a 10 minute drive to Oistins and about a 10 minute drive to St. Lawrence Gap....It was very easy to get a taxi right outside the hotel and on the 2nd night we met a wonderful driver Dr. Livingston, who we ended up hiring for the rest of the week....I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We booked this hotel purely on trip advisor posts, I thought that at least some of the wonderful reviews would be misleading, but no , this place is top notch in every way. Donny the manager ( and Barack Obama lookalike ) has the place running like a well oiled machine , from the room service team who were fantastic to mervie in the restaurant , not one single fault. The room was spacious and well appointed, lovely beach beautiful clean and refreshing pools. You will not be disappointed .

Northwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stay at this resort week of Dec 8th. Very nice resort, well maintained and clean. We had a room with a kitchen in it, comes with all appliances. The room was spacious and a great balcony with an ocean view. No bugs at all!! Rooms had air conditioning too. The ground arent too big, just the right amount of grass, pools, trees etc. Highly reccommend this resort as the balance of pools, beach is perfect. The on-site restaurant tries their best to satisfy all your needs. They also have entertainment several of the nights, it was a nice touch and added to making dinner interesting and lively. They server breakfast thru dinner each day which we tried out and all meals were very good.
The Staff was VERY helpful. My wife and I couldnt believe how friendly and helpful everyone was. My sister's room had a problem with the airconditioner, they came and repaired it immediately and offer a few free drinks, which wasnt necessary at all.
The location is very good. close to St Lawrance Gap and about 15 from Bridgetown.
Will definitely go back to this resort.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Had a fantastic one week stay, on arrival we were upgraded from deluxe studio to deluxe one bedroom which was a nice surprise. As well we missed our flight and arrived a day late, the hotel was nice enough not to charge us the night we missed. I consider that a nice bonus since many hotels would still insist on charging. The room itself was nice and clean and the resort is right on the beach. The beach waters are very swimable with small waves, we got some boogie boards which were complimentary from the water sports desk provide by the hotel. Ate at lanterns a cople times, breakfast is good. Dinner wasn't that great from a value perspective, I'd recommend trying other places on the island. We rented a car for the full week and the area is great as a hub to travel from if you want to check out the island. Very close to st lawrence gap, listings and bridgetown is not too far either.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Bougainvillia from 5th until 19th December 2012- our 6th visit, the last being in April this year. We appreciate a self-catering resort that allows freedom of where to eat on the island.
The resort has always been excellent and we have never even tried to look at other resorts on the island. The rooms are clean and very comfortable, the staff exceptionally friendly and courteous, the tap water is incredibly pure, the entertainment is superb, and the beach is fantastic.
We particularly like the Guest room facilities that can be used on your last day having checked out of your room. This means you can stay on the beach and have a place to shower and change before you need to depart.
We will certainly be back.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the sea and wonderful gardens. Views from the third floor up are best but...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bougainvillea Beach Resort? Share your experiences!