Our family came to Barbados to surf and scuba dive. We rented a car because we knew the hotel was not in the middle of a bustling hub. It would have been a huge pain not to have done so. Our observations:
1. Location - close to Zed's Surf School (walking distance), need a car to go anywhere else. Restaurant on site was good - we ate one dinner there. It really is in the middle of a residential area, which includes nice, okay, and dumpy houses all mixed up. So just be aware, it's not in a resort-y area.
2. Room - we had a 3-bedroom apartment, which was huge and extremely clean, with a really nice balcony. We didn't use the kitchen facilities at all, as breakfast was included and for the other meals it was easy to find casual food. So I can't say anything about those. Beds fine - didn't squeak. Hot water was an issue. The hotel's water is solar heated, so if there isn't any sun, there isn't any hot water. Problem! We ran into a few cloudy days, so the water was sort of lukewarm. It was still warm, so it wasn't awful, but if you like a hot shower, as I do, even in a place that's very warm, be aware that it is not guaranteed here. The weather was pretty warm most of the time, but the room was very well ventilated and did not get hot. We rarely if ever used the A/C.
3. Breakfast - a very basic continental breakfast is included, but it's not that great. Presentation was really lacking, and it looked half hearted. One of the responses to a review it says that french toast and pancakes are included, but I think they were extra. If there were included, no one ever told us. One kind of jelly - guava - so if you don't like guava jelly, you're out of luck. I ended up having toast every day. The 'hot' dishes were fried potatoes, fried plaintains and baked beans, which to an American are weird choices for morning foods, especially when the potatoes don't have any protein to go with them. It was just - odd. There was fruit salad, but the fruit was cut into very small pieces and the watermelon was loaded with seeds. Again, I'm whining, but it was just sort of a pain. I don't like watermelon seeds. This might be fine for you, but for me it just wasn't great.
4. Yoga - they had a yoga instructor who gave yoga classes every day. It was extra but not that much. She was very good and my husband and I both enjoyed it. It's wonderful to do yoga next to the beach! And there's a pavilion where you do it that's very Zen and peaceful.
So the nice, big, clean apartment part was really good, and my husband said that compared to the resorts it was way less expensive, so that's good too. Location close to Zed's Surf School was great, and it wasn't far from Oisins. There's a surf and kiteboarding school at the hotel, but we didn't use it. The hotel feels sort of remote but Barbados isn't that big so nothing is that far - as long as you have a car. All in all it was a very good experience, with those few minor issues that may or may not be relevant to other people.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Spray Beach Apartment Hotel
- Ocean Spray Beach Apartment Hotel Christ Church
- Ocean Spray Beach Apartments Barbados/Christ Church Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our secluded ocean-front boutique apartment hotel is located on the famous Surfer's Point in Inch Marlow, Christ Church, Barbados. We offer our guests 25 fully self-contained apartments ranging from studios, one bedrooms, and our 2 & 3 bedroom family apartments are all with amazing views of the shoreline and our gardens. We are home to the best surfing and kite-surfing action in Barbados. Here you can spend the day surfing or take one of our off-road bicycle tours or get in touch with nature in our tropical gardens. Mamu's Gazebo by the seaside offers daily breakfast and lunch. We are only 4 miles from the Airport and 10 min from Oistins, close enough to all the action but off the beaten track. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, Expedia, Venere and Otel so you can book your Ocean Spray Beach Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.