“previous reviews do not do justice to the hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barbados Beach Club

You added Barbados Beach Club to your Saves list
Barbados Beach Club
2.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Maxwell Coast Road, 15031, Barbados (Formerly Sunbay Hotel)   |
Bridgetown, Barbados
“previous reviews do not do justice to the hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

i read the reviews before i went to the hotel and i have to say that they did not do the hotel justice. they gave me the impression that i was coming to a dump.....however, i was pleasantly surprised. you can see that the hotel has had some repairs, although there is more to be done. i stayed on the 5th floor and you could see that it was recently fixed up. the public areas are clean, the elevator comes in very handy. my room overlooked the pool and ocean, my only issue with the room was my shower, hot water was not very frequent and the knob was dropping off. i missed having a kettle in my room to have tea as i would like. i felt a little taken back having to ask to borrow an iron from housekeeping, but other than that, my room served its purpose. how could i forget the flat screen tv :-)

the food choices were not alot, but what they did have, was okay. the omelette station was a long unnecessary wait, as there was space on the griddle to hold 2 more eggs, while the lady only did 2 at a time. i felt the food could have been garnished more. and although they were in warmers, they were cold.
the wait staff didnt seem to have specific tasks, i felt that there could have been a drink waiter to focus on that, as you had to wait really long to get your drink after having ordered it, as the waiter was busy tending to other tables. some of the wait staff are a little laid back and some are very industrious.
there very plenty activities to chose from but i chose to relax instead, all in all, the hotel is a nice place to stay

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
Welwyn Garden City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

OK, this is a three-star resort so it's not going to be particularly luxurious but if you are looking for good value for money in an all-inclusive resort then this is a good choice.

What I wanted from this type of holiday was some good food, decent drink and a clean room with a good shower and this was largely what we got.

The main problem was that the hotel was extremely quiet; we have travelled before to Barbados at the same time of year, their low season, and we have never known the island so quiet. Apart from a couple of large groups who stayed for a few days, and officials and other people connected with a Caribbean swimming gala taking place during our stay, there were no more than a dozen other guests in total in a 110-room hotel. We came out for rest and relaxation but we were shocked at how quiet the hotel was. We can only hope for the hotel's future that things improve.

The hotel is located on the south coast of the island in Maxwell, roughly halfway between Oistins to the east and St Lawrence Gap to the west; both are about a 5-10 minute cab or bus ride away; you could walk in to either in about 20 minutes. There is a bar directly opposite the hotel and a small shop (currently under renovation when we were there) a few doors down. You are about a 10 minute walk from the main road and more small bars and shops.

The hotel is clean and well maintained although in need of some touches to the exterior here and there. The reception area was welcoming and spotless, there is a nice little gift shop selling snacks, drinks, medicines, toiletries and souvenirs on site and the pool and outside areas are large and welcoming. The beach is accessible adjacent to the bar area by a sloped decking; the sea is a little rougher than the west coast or further round towards Bridgetown but was still OK to swim in. There were few very beach vendors passing through as there is limited access due to the proximity of Dover Beach Hotel on the right and our hotel on the left so this was quite secluded and relaxing, with a few plam trees offering welcome shade. The hotel provided loungers, beach towels, parasols, boogie boards and other equipment if needed.

We paid an extra £300 through Virgin for a room upgrade and got a nice sized room overlooking the pool, poolside bar, and ocean, nicely framed by palm trees. The bed was clean and comfortable, the shower was excellent, very powerful but in common with some other resorts the hot water temperature tends to dip the later you get up.

The pool was large and also deep, very pleasant to swim in and was cleaned every day. Plenty of sun loungers nearby to use. The poolside bar, whilst looking like it had seen better days, was well stocked with (free for AI customers) local brands and Banks by the bottle; bar staff were ever helpful, although the quality of the cocktails and mixed drinks varied depending on who was on duty. House wine is available at mealtimes only.

Two restaurants were open during our stay; the poolside restaurant was open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner whilst the upstairs restaurant was open three nights a week only for a la carte dining. We dined in the upstairs restaurant on a couple of occasions; the room offered a very nice view of the ocean and was well air-conditioned and clean. The menu did not change during our stay and is limited in choices but the food on the whole was excellent; lamb shanks in particular were beautifully prepared. The $22 supplement for the steak was well worth the money as well.

The food from the downstairs restaurant was always freshly prepared and overall was very nice indeed. Fresh fruit, bread for toast, cereals, juices and cooked breakfast available every day; eggs and bacon cooked to order. Lunches and dinners did tend to feature a lot of chicken, which was inevitable baked in a different sauce depending on the theme - e.g. barbecue sauce for BBQ night, sweet and sour for Chinese, etc. - tasty but repetitive. there was always at least one veg alternative as well as at least one other fish/meat alternative, hot soup, and salads and always a choice of dessert. Vegetables available however was almost always squash, carrot and cabbage medley and it would have been nice to have had something different occasionally. afternoon tea between 4-5 was always a choice of sandwiches and cakes and was always tasty.

The staff were all friendly and willing to help but severely outnumbered the guests on occasions! Phillip, who seemed to be the 'Jack of all trades' was extremely helpful with any request; Dale and Deborah from the bar/restaurant were also really nice. It would have been nice for the staff to have name badges though!

Evening entertainment, due to the low occupancy, was very limited; a Bajan floor show and cabaret one night was good though, including limbo dancers and fire-eater, but nothing other than a DJ playing music form a laptop for a few other nights wer were there. The hotel is directly next door to a new live music venue and there were a number of calypso events relating to the island's CropOver festival that took place in the evenings. The venue is also owned by the proprietors of our hotel but we were told we would have to pay to go into the event - we instead sat nearby and listened to the music. would have been a nice touch if the hotel staff had given us free tickets, especially as there was no entertainment provided.

We wanted rest and relaxtion, and we got exactly what we wanted. It would have been nicer, especially in the evenings, to have had a few more people around to socialise with though. I would certainly conside returning here for a short break, or if I went with a larger party or if I knew the hotel to be busy.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view to some extent
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I must start by saying ths was not our choice of Hotel.We were on a Virgin Air flight that was delayed for 24 hours and were put up here. After 2 weeks in real Barbados, this was a joke. The food choice was poor, and some food cold. We arrived at about 2pm on saturday afternoon and although this was " all inclusive"no food was available until 4pm, when you had a choice of tuna or cheese sandwiches and a bit of cake, hardly inspiring! The Hotel was old and tired and the staff were miserable and uncaring. As we were "refugees from a flight" we did not have alcohlol included, and the price of drinks was treble what we had been paying, on enquiring about this, we were told" the reason is because we are an all inclusive hotel? Do not bother to waste your money going there, it is nothing like the true Barbados

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Let me start by saying that this hotel was not of my choosing. Our flight back to London was delayed for 24 hours and as a courtesy, our airline put us up here overnight. By us, I mean those of us economy class passengers. Premium and first class passengers were treated to the Hilton and other more salubrious resorts.
First, the positives. My room on the sixth floor was spotlessly clean. It came equipped with a good sized bed, fridge, cooker, saucepans and crockery. A decent enough view overlooking decent enough gardens. Reasonably efficient staff - especially in the dining room.
But that's all the good that I can say about this hotel. Yes, it's 3 star and so I didn't expect much, but even so... The hotel was clean, but it just looked, well, tired, and in desperate need of a thorough refurbishment. There were discernible cracks on some of the external walls, the small balconies have me vertigo, and I did not feel safe sitting out on it. The awful dated salmon pink exterior badly needs needs a fresh coat of paint in a more modern colour. The cooker in my room looked as if it had been installed at least 30 years ago. I cannot say whether it worked as I wasn't desperate enough to try it. And for the life of me I am still unable to fathom why there was a cooker but no tea or coffee making facilities - cups and saucers, yes, but no kettle or coffee machine. And no tea or coffee sachets either. In fact, the only place and time it was possible to get tea or coffee was in the dining room. I need loads of caffeine before I can get going in the morning so it was more than irritating that I was unable to have my fix until after I had showered, dressed etc and trooped down to the dining room. Service in the dining room was reasonably good but the food was definitely nothing to write home about. The Full English breakfast was OK, not great, but plentiful. The fish cakes were vile however, and why tinned peaches was on the menu is beyond me. Why not fresh mangoes? Dinner was also underwhelming. Barbecued chicken, vegetable rice, corn on the cob, and some admittedly tasty steamed fish were on offer. Nothing remotely resembling local cuisine - apart from the ubiquitous fried plantain, which were ok. It's hard to go far wrong with fried plantains. Bar service was friendly but with limited drinks. A few of the cocktails on the menu were not available, and for some reason, the female bar tender was not able to serve some alcoholic drinks - not sure why but she did look pretty young. The entertainment was dire, but I was fortunate that my room overlooked a 'tent' where the first night of the CropOver celebrations were ongoing, so I got to hear some great music, but the hotel's own so-called entertainment - a guy playing bad music via his computer - was just awful. Needless to say, there were few takers
The pool area was fairly quiet as it was out of season, but even so, nothing on earth could ever have induced me to use the pool. It wasn't dirty as such, just didn't look particularly appealing. In fact, ere was something slightly grimy and sticky about everything so that I constantly felt dirty and in need of a good shower. The shower in my room was ok, but only lukewarm. I consider myself fortunate however as other stranded passengers put up in the same hotel complained that they could only get cold water. This is an all inclusive hotel, except for alcohol, which was pretty overpriced. As for location, well, I definitely think there are some beautiful areas on the South coast, but Maxwell is not the best. There are few shops nearby and access to public transportation is some distance away. There was a convenience store a few minutes walk away but it was shut on the two occasions that I went there, and in fact it looked closed down for good. Thankfully I only stayed one night at this hotel. Had I been a paying guest, I would have been bitterly disappointed and probably moved to another hotel.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Lets face it, Barbados is an expensive island and to get a top quality 5 star hotel you will need to shell out roughly double what you would in Cuba or Mexico.

So we stayed here... Staff are extremely friendly especially the guys on the beach putting out the umbrellas in the morning. The room was nice and clean, but the fridge was empty! We thought they had forgotten to fill it, but apparantley it's empty so you can fill it up with your own drinks!

Drinks are limited but ok. Bottles of banks beer served and decent shots of spirits that haven't been watered down like in some places I've been to. The only problem is, there's one bar and it's the pool bar. This is fine in the day, but I don't want to drink from plastic glasses at night! Entertainment ranged from decent to terrible, but you're not far from St Lawrence Gap or Oistins so going out for the night is not a problem. The food however was something else. Very limited choice of food - and although I didn't starve I certainly whent out to eat more than I wanted to! However, the one al a cart restaurant is very nice, so is definately worth a visit.

All in all I didn't let the hotel spoil my holiday. but it's fair to say that I was disappointed to say the least with the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
San Miguel de Salinas, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Very disappointed with his Hotel. Old,Tired and badly in need of refurbishmant and modernisation. A far cry from when I stayed here 15yrs ago as The Welcome Inn. Almost no evening entertainment because the Hotel was nearly empty! Cracked Balcony structures,cracked and poorly repaired tiles on the Terrace. Terrace was filthy resulting in 'Black' feet.No footpath/showers for Pool area. No Hot Water for 10 of our 14days. Disinterested Management and Admin Staff. Beach was barely usable due to wave-driven drifting sand. Restaurant was 'ok' but if you didn't like chicken and fish you were in trouble! No Room service, Housekeeping was just about acceptable. Would not recommend this Hotel...it is definitely not '4 Star' but barely '2 Star'. I have been this beautiful Island about 10 times and this is the first time I have ever been back to the same Hotel...never again. Most of the Guests during my Holiday complained about the place. The Duty Manager,who I tackled at the 'Meet and Greet' hardly said a word in response to my complaints. I shall be surprised if it stays open much longer, although there seems to be more of an influx of Local Caribbean Guests.

Room Tip: If you want the South Coast for the 'action' go for one of the much better, more modern Hote...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Just arrived back from the beautiful island Barbados, cannot fault the hotel, food was good, staff was friendly and helpful, entertainment was ok, seem to be in the process of updating. Rooms clean and tidy, great view of the sea. Would stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Barbados Beach Club? Share your experiences!