“Needs a facelift” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Barbados Beach Club

You added Barbados Beach Club to your Saves list
Barbados Beach Club
2.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Maxwell Coast Road, 15031, Barbados (Formerly Sunbay Hotel)   |
“Needs a facelift”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is old and run down -poorly maintained. The entire hotel needs a facelift. No wash cloths are provided so bring your own Food was ok but nothing fantastic. There are no activities for adults nor children. The hotel's portion of the beach is quite short and access is closed off after certain hours. There is a daily charge along with a deposit for a very small safe. If you leave your deposit in US$ they will try to give it back in Barbados money. We put up quite the fuss and was able to get US$ back. After 2 intolerable days at this dump that they call a hotel we phoned our tour company and was moved to another hotel. I would not recommend this hotel even if it were free. There is only one tiny pool and no a la carte restaurants. The only good point about this hotel was the staff.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Polish first
roaming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Located just 10-15 mins from the airport, the BBC is ideally located with a lovely beach to the back.

Pros:
1. Cheap and Affordable
2. Staff is nice
3. The place is clean
4. The Food is fantastic
5. The views from the rooms are spectacular

Cons:
1. The Hotel needs a facelift
2. Far from Bridgetown (but B'dos is small)
3. The bathroom is a bit cramped up in terms of space

Overall, I must say that I got my money's worth. It was a really nice vacation and I hope that you guys have the same experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at BBC. The view from our room was breathtaking! The rooms were cleaned every day, towels were changed as well as sheets. The food was good but a little more variety would be welcomed. However, with 4 meals a day and unlimited drinks it didn't really matter. I am not sure about the nightime entertainment because my hsuband and I went out on the town every night.
The location is what makes BBC so perfect. Its right on the water and nearby to all the hotspots including Oistins and The Gap.
Overall, it's a great place to stay at a reasonable price!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Thanks BBC for a marvellous staycation . My son and I just really enjoyed our time there. It was relaxing, good service, clean cool rooms and good meals 4 times a day . What more can you want. GOOD JOB!

Room Tip: Top floor ocean views relaxing and quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We have just come back from BBC and i must say that this hotel was soooo disappointing on many levels, the rooms weren't too bad but as for the rest of it 1star would be my recommendation. poor entertainment, poor surrondings, poor communication, the top management are unhelpful and they seem intent on making you feel uncomfortable. we have been going to Barbados on family holidays since 1996 and this is the worst place that i have ever stayed and this holiday was not a cheap holiday all together it cost us £6,000.00 and we expected much better than what we got. The upside for us was the staff that worked in the resturant were friendly and helpful and they always managed to welcome you with a smile.

Room Tip: top floor rooms seem to be bigger and nicer presented
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Just returned from ten days in barbados beach hotel we managed to have a nice time despite the hotel....

After arriving on a long flight to Barbados it was so gut wrenchingly disappointing to arrive at this dump of a hotel. It is not even a two star it literally is not.

The rooms are clean but so shabby for example the light switches are stained yellow the shower taps were all surrounded with grime and the hot and cold symbols had dropped off, the toilet seat needed replaced and was not secure, the linen whilst clean is just tatty and needs replaced, the floor was covered in stains and chips and the walls are grubby.

When you are already feeling underwhelmed by hotel you notice all the little things such as the lift looked liked it belonged in a concrete car park, and every wall in the entire place needs a scrub down and fresh paint, the sun beds on the beach are rusting and the sun beds around the pool are covered in bird poo and could do with a wash down every day.

People at this hotel told me that it was a budget hotel but really for two adults it cost us just under £3000 for ten days. The hotel obviously sees little of the money that we pay to stay there. If I wanted to stay in a backpacking hostel I would not have gone to Barbados, that is what this hotel reminded me of.

Yes the hotel staff are lovely particularly the bar staff and the lady in charge of breakfast everyday is fantastic, everywhere I have visited on the island I have always found the people to be so friendly, welcoming and chilled out, one of the many reasons I love Barbados.

I also have to say in response to a comment I read on here that on the day of departure you are not allowed to eat or drink at the hotel. This was not the case for us! We sat at the bar drinking until 4.30pm.

I have visited Barbados before so I love the island but there are much nicer places to stay at for a similar price. It really is worth paying the extra because the all inclusive offering is so bad we actually spent quite a lot of extra money on eating out at St Lawrence Gap, which really defeats the object of staying at an all inclusive.
Vegi options are just are not available other than chips and rice and shredded iceberg lettuce. My partner is not a fussy eater and even he really didn't enjoy the food there at all.
The beach is lovely (all Barbados beaches are) and it is close to St Lawrence Gap 20 barbados dollars in a taxi and Oistins is walking distance, the hotel does have a good location for the south coast attractions.

We stayed at this hotel as it was a last minute thing and had problems with an original booking and had to go on a certain date I really thought when i read the poor reviews that it doesn't matter because it's Barbados after all.
What you should keep in mind is that on days of thunder storms that do happen in the west indies ( we had three) and the beach is not an option the hotel literally has nothing else to do. We hired a car one of the rainy days, and took the hotels shuttle bus service to bridgetown another day but after that we were stuck in a dingy hotel with one bar and nothing else to offer.

Little things like the beach was not raked regularly so there was often litter and seaweed scattered across the sand, most hotels with a beach do this every morning it's a job that takes little effort but makes a difference in the over all impression of the hotel.
The one bar doesn't open until 10.30 which is not great for early risers like myself,

I think the main problem lies in the fact that it should be listed as a 2 star hotel or lower so that people know what to expect. Compared with other 3 star hotels on the island for example savannah beach hotel barbados beach club is in a much lower league so it takes away any trust that I have in virgins system for rating hotels. Had I known how bad this hotel was I would never have booked to stay there I would not stay there again or recommend going.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Oswaldtwistle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Birthday trip to Barbados and booked this hotel at reasonable price for all inclusive and no real complaints compared to more expensive options.
Average hotel with comfortable rooms but no luxury.
Good location on the beach with easy travel to other areas.
Limited choice at meal times and "cheap drinks" available during the day.
Enjoyed day trip around the island and would highly recommend boat trip "Cool Runnings"
Overall decent holiday on a beautiful island and hope for a return visit but not at the BBC.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barbados Beach Club? Share your experiences!