We've been staying at the Divi Southwinds for the past 6 years for Christmas and New Year's. It's actually a very nice place to stay if you want a family style vacation.
First, its location is excellent. Barbados is in the Caribbean and has excellent weather. During this time of year you can expect only 1 or 2 days with substantial rain. Barbados has excellent dining and there are almost no casinos (which is good in my opinion). The water is amazing - 80 degrees and clear blue. Sea turtles are often visible in the waves. Divi Southwinds is located in Christ Church, on the Gap - a secondary road populated with restaurants, bars and street food. Dinner is as easy was walking out of the Divi and heading to one of the excellent restaurants nearby. We rarely leave the Gap during our 14 day stay.
Second, the Divi is 3 -star hotel at best. You are not staying there for the luxurious accommodations, but for the value. The units are mostly 1 bedroom, with a sleep sofa and a small kitchenette. It's easy enough to shop at the local grocery stores and cook a lot of meals right in your room. We typically eat breakfast and lunch in our room and do dinner out. The rooms are clean and the staff is pretty accommodating. My only complaint is that the mattresses are rather hard - but I am spoiled with a tempur-pedic mattress at home. There are several "Penthouse" style units on the 5th floor that have the bedrooms upstairs (2 beedrooms). These are much more comfortable if you have more than 4 people in your family. You still get a sleep sofa in the living room.
Third, the beach is amazing. Gentle waves, blue water and white sand. It's a quiet beach with little to no motor craft to spoil the ambiance. We often spend the entire day on the beach - with only a brief break for lunch. The sunsets are not to be missed.
Fourth, if the beach is not your thing, then enjoy the very large pool. It's kept clean and its temperate.
Fifth, the Divi is very reasonably priced. We're now timeshare owners, but the cost is relatively low per night.
The cons of the Divi: Wifi stinks - they keep trying to improve the service, but its just never reliable; the staff is relatively laid back which can mean waiting; never try to check in before 4pm - your room won't be ready; avoid the on-premise restaurant - the food isn't great and there's much better just a block or two away.
In conclusion, if you are seeking a location in Barbados that good for a family vacation, with a great beach and each access to some very good dining, I recommend the Divi Southwinds.
- Also Known As:
- Divi Southwinds Beach Hotel Christ Church
- Divi Southwinds Beach Hotel
- Divi Southwinds
- Hotel Divi Southwinds Beach
- Divi Southwinds Beach Resort Barbados/Christ Church Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the beautiful south coast of Barbados in Christ Church, the all-suite Divi Southwinds Beach Resort is a casual Caribbean retreat. Divi Southwinds lies along a wide stretch of soft white beach and gentle waves, and is uniquely divided by the St. Lawrence Gap-a lively street, home to restaurants, nightlight and local vendors. An intimate collection of one-bedroom suites is steps from scenic Dover Beach and offers stunning ocean views. Behind the St. Lawrence Gap, over one hundred spacious one- and two-bedroom suites surround a sparkling freshwater pool and feature tropical garden views. All suites at the Divi Southwinds feature oversized private patios or balconies perfect for a sunrise breakfast, fully equipped kitchens, king-sized beds, and sleeper sofas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets, Olotels, Travelocity, Expedia, EasyToBook, Priceline, Venere, Hotels.com, HotelsClick and Tingo so you can book your Divi Southwinds Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.