“Resort is old, worn and tired – some guestrooms are very bad, others just OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Divi Southwinds Beach Resort

You added Divi Southwinds Beach Resort to your Saves list
Divi Southwinds Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   St. Lawrence Main Road, BB15017, Barbados   |
Ottawa
“Resort is old, worn and tired – some guestrooms are very bad, others just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

First let me start this review by stating that I completed 3 Customer Satisfaction Surveys, while still at the hotel, based on each room that we had during our 2 week visit and received an auto reply email stating that I would receive a response within 7 business days after my comments were reviewed by staff. I can tell you that a month later, I still have not received any response to my complaints. That pretty much sums up how Divi Management responds to all complaints.

I will also state that this was my third visit to Divi Southwinds. We’ve stayed there in June 2003 and July 2007 and had a lovely time, enjoying our stay, but something has happened over the years and the resort has gone downhill at an alarming pace.

So now, where do I begin with the very long list of complaints? I’ll start with the check in process.

We arrived early, at 1:30 p.m. knowing that we might have to wait for our room. I proceeded to check in asking for a “nicer, newly renovated room, if they had one”. My first clue that things were off to a bad start was the reply “we don’t renovate, we maintain”. Well, maintain doesn’t even come close to what they do. Maintaining would be a step up. After seeing our room, I went back to reception and asked to be moved. I was told that they were over booked and were sending guest to other hotels. I asked to be one of those guests to go to another hotel, and they said no, because I had a 2 week reservation with them, the other guest were only for a few days.

Room #110
Our “maintained” room on the ground level was only ready after 5:30 p.m. – check in is 4:00 p.m. It was very small compared to the other rooms that we had on the second floor. It was badly in need of maintenance. To begin with the air conditioner didn’t work – maintenance came to our room a total of 8 times in 3 days to fix the problem, to no avail. The ceiling fans had one speed, slow, so that didn’t help. Being on the ground floor, we couldn’t leave the patio door open, which didn’t have a screen in any event, so the mosquitoes would have come in. Much later that evening, when I went back to reception yet again, the shift had changed and Amanda, who was very nice, gave us her floor fan to use until they could “fix” the air conditioner. Amanda also said that she would move us as soon as another room became available. If not for her, we would have packed our bags and left to find another hotel. But it was Crop-Over and most hotels were fully booked and Amanda really tried hard to help us with all our complaints, and sent housekeeping and maintenance often over the course of our stay. Ingrid Bynoe is also an outstanding reception staff person who made our stay bearable.
The partial kitchenette (we were to have a full kitchen) was spare and mis-matched, missing many dishes, cutlery, cups and glasses. The very small mini –fridge had paint chipped and peeling away and the door was rusted completely along the bottom. It was also missing shelves/racks. The tiles in the kitchen and hallway were broken, chipped and gauged. Of the 4 wicker kitchen chairs had 2 of them were broken. The sofa bed cushions were torn and ripped, with holes. The mattress was so old and in bad shape that our daughters woke up with bruises on their sides and backs. The bathroom tub and tiles were stained with mold and mildew. The grout was disgusting, the shower curtain worse. The shower had only scalding hot or cold water, as did the bathroom and kitchen sink. The shower head had such a fine spray that could not be adjusted, that the stream of water actually stung and made showering unbearable.

Room #321
We finally were able to move on the 4th day to room #321. It was a nicer, larger room on the second floor overlooking the parking lot/gardens. However, upon opening the door, we were overwhelmed by heat and the smell of urine. I figured that by turning on the air-conditioner, the smell would go away, while moving our belongings from room #110 to room #321. Once we completed the move, my daughter found herself locked in the bathroom, unable to open the door. I thought that was a “fluke” but then found myself locked inside as well. The door handle did not engage from inside the bathroom, it had nothing to do with locking it or not. The handle just did not move, so once inside there was no way to open the door again. Needless to say, with the overwhelming smell of urine and the fact that we could not open the bathroom door, we asked to be moved yet again.

Room #319
Finally a room that was passable. It was not without its problems too….a toilet that would back up upon ever second use and maintenance that could only come to unblock it between 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. So we became well acquainted with the staff toilet on the third floor.

Grounds, pools, gym, convenience store, Internet/WI-FI, mini-golf, restaurants and beach

The grounds are well kept. The pools are alright. The gym is old and run down. The machines are rusted with 5 basic types cardio machines and some free weights and bench. There are holes in the walls and cobwebs in the corners. It does have a T.V., water cooler and air conditioning. The convenience store has just about everything that you need and want at reasonable prices. There is no WI-FI and internet is expensive at $11.00+ USD a day. The mini-put is $5.00 USD a round. There are two restaurants, one beside the pool and one by the beach. The wait staff are nice and the food is good. The “Manager’s Party” is held at the restaurant near the pools. Not that we even saw or met him at the party. The beach is a short walk from the hotel, across the road that runs through the “Gap”. There are lounge chairs there and showers. Being in St. Lawrence Gap is mainly why we chose this resort. It’s close to the beach, bars and restaurants and a short bus ride to Bridgetown.

All in all, if the property owners were to invest in the renovating of the property, Divi Southwinds could one day become the great resort it used to be. I spoke with a Timeshare owner, since 1981, who said that it used to be a 5 star resort back in the day. Shame that it has been allowed to get so run down. I told the staff that they are the ones who are keeping it going. If not for them, not even the location would compensate for the shape of some of the rooms.

Room Tip: 2nd or higher rooms, facing the pool if possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Riverdale, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I will say this hotel is located right by the GAP which comes alive during the night. The beach is close but the water is a little ruff for me. The best thing about this hotel as it is very different from Divi Aruba or Divi St.Maarten is the staff. Everyone was extremely helpful and super sweet. I actually missed them when I left. The hotel grounds have beautiful trees, flowers, and monkeys..yes..monkeys. Unfortunately for me it rained 2 of the 4 days I stayed but I still had a good time.
If you like 5 star this is not for you.. visitors are more laid back..playing volleyball in groups on the beach.. dance the night away at the Gap or visit the many restaurants ...

Room Tip: Stay on the high floor. Be nice to the clerks at check in
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I timeshare at Divi Heritage in St. James and chose this visit to stay at the Southwinds for a difference. We spent 7 days at this hotel. It is located at the front of St. Lawerence Gap and is situated on the main road. You basically get to the Gap through the back of the hotel. There is a small pool and a big pool all surrounded by the bar/restaurant and the activities center shop. There is a mini store on site that you can buy stuff from. When we arrived, check in was a breeze. The room has a kitchenette, sitting area to watch tv, a bathroom and the bedroom which has a safe. In the sitting area where you watch tv the couch is a pull out bed. Then you have the balcony. The bathroom is small as you just have the shower and toilet. Outside of it is the sink and mirror with a hair dryer and small facial mirror. The furniture is really nice. Though the kitchenette provides pots and pans and cutlery along with glasses, you have to end up shopping for your own cleaning stuff such as sponges, liquid soap to wash dishes. Our first night we had to use a towel to wash the dishes. If you want to stay at this hotel please budget for shopping at the grocery store for your own stuff and amenities. The hotel has beach access area that is walking distance in short where visitors can go to and you get to use lounge chairs for free. This beach area is nice as there is a shower wash off before going back to the hotel. There is a basketball court and mini golf area that kids can go for fun if you want them off your chest for a while. There is also a tennis court. Although it sounds all good, there are so many things that are in dire need of fixing. One stems from the reception area to that of the restaurant. Customer service is totally poor. You are greeted with laid back attitude people who feel that your questions are a crime to them. I don't know if they have issues with people but that kind of attitude can turn people off. It seems that the customer service people need to be trained in how to deal with people and be more professional. The restaurant food is expensive and not that good. The wifi is a joke. It is costly and worked on and off. If you wish not to hire a car or taxi, you have the bust stop on the main road that allows you to venture to town or even Oistins for the fish fry.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bridgetown, Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Spent August 11-13 2012 at Divi Southwinds for our honeymoon.
I've been on the property before but never as a guest and thought it pretty average since I live in Barbados. But my dear husband wouldn't say where we were going for our staycation honeymoon until the wedding day! Boy was it a surprise we got Penthouse 10 and it was fantastic!

Check in was smooth Staff fantastic Ingrid, Tadia and Amanda are great at front desk
Breakfast: Good quality. Only meal I can comment on but Lunch preparations smelt great
Room: very clean consists living room/ kitchen w/ all appliances and utensils.
A toilet on this floor very handy Balcony on this floor. Upstairs 2 bedrooms one with 2 single beds and the master bedroom w/balcony.
Bathroom with jacuzzi well appointed with toiletries.
Note this Hotel is a Green hotel.
Pool: nice and quite before 11am. Beach as always on the south coast white sands and calm.
Hotel on the famous St. Lawrence Gap so you can enjoy nightlife in walking distance, good restaurants and an Anglican Church is at the end of the Gap too!

Room Tip: top floor I always suggest but in this case get a penthouse
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Arrived at reception to be told our room was ready only to find that the cleaners hadn't even started service yet. When we finally got to have a proper look around it was clear how tired the room and even the whole hotel is. My dad who is in his 60's booked this hotel on the memories of it being a five star timeshare resort many years ago (as another reviewer said) but sadly it has now gone downhill. You get what you pay for, however I feel as though with some money the hotel could be geat. The rooms have a good layout and are surprisingly spacious, it is just the overall look that is disappointing. Open wires, broken wardrobe doors and a tv with a very bad picture to name but a few things wrong. Also the room had a very old, smokey smell to it. It is supposed to be non-smoking but it had quite a 'stale' aroma.

We were also disappointed with the gap. St Lawrence seems quite run down and not what it used to be. Empty restraunts and homeless adorning benches; not the most inviting area. Also felt quite unsafe in the evening when we were followed back to our hotel more than once.

The beach, however was the saving grace. It can at times be loud but mostly is a nice quiet very beautiful way to spend the days. Won't be going back though and certainly do not recommend.

• Stayed August 2012
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Southwinds Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
On behalf of the Management Team of Divi Southwinds Beach Resort, we would like to thank you for taking the time to express your views and concerns of your recent stay. We would also like to convey our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you and your guests experienced during your stay with us.

Your comments are valued as they help us to achieve the highest quality of accommodations and service. We will be addressing the issues outlined in your review.

There is no excuse for falling short of our customer promise where we will provide memorable vacation experiences for all of our guests and I offer our sincerest apologies on behalf of the Divi Southwinds team.

Yours truly,

Alvin Jemmott
lehighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Great location near night life and a variety of restaurants. Large resort with a very large pool. Wifi was once comp but now over $50/ wk.

• Stayed July 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed here three times nearly two years ago nearly now...
Its tired and charming as I said in the title. Many Americans told me it used to be five stars once. They were in their 80's
However...... it is in dire need of a face lift. The staff ........ hardl ever a smile, maybe once or twice from the cleaners. not even a curl of the lips not counting sneers from the ladies on reception .

Working in the customer travel service industry... well you kind of notice those things. Rooms were Ok ish .. very very dated. Lifts .. elevators .. there are two.. if you can find them working or not full with cleaning tolleys. .. god forbid you try to get into a lift with a cleaner and her trolly though........ looks would burn you to your flip flops.

We asked for our missing bottles of water in our rooms just after arrival .. and my god....... what a reception that got... the "ladies" on the front desk and the cleaners LOOKED DOWN THEIR NOSES at us! Not Mutters of dissapproval .. but loud local language that obiously showed their annoyance and "COULDNT BE BOTHERED" attitude.

Tired tired tired....... faded furniture.. battered self catering cooking equipment. I think I actually have had "nylon" bedding for part of the pillows and and trimmings on my bed. As for the rest of what i saw....... well Barbados seems at St Lawrences gap.. to be like a very dated out of fashioned resort.. Like Porthcawl or Barry Island. Tacky. FADED.. and resting on its laurels... like a god given right. But it still has something charming. That was not the hotel though!

Room Tip: go to sandy lane!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Divi Southwinds Beach Resort? Share your experiences!