“Cheap (but not cheerful)” 2 of 5 stars

You added Butterfly Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Butterfly Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Maxwell Main Road | Oistins, Barbados   |
London
“Cheap (but not cheerful)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Having seen the good reviews on TA and what we had paid we knew this wasn't 5 star, but had hoped for cheap and cheerful. Cheap it was but not cheerful I'm afraid. I am not sure if we had one of the worse rooms but the view was the only thing it had going for it. The Kitchen to be fair was passable, fairly clean but everything else was just grotty. It was dirty, skirting boards, walls, doors, all had brown/orange marks on them, the bathroom had marks all over the walls and the grout in the shower was awful. There was toothpaste splatters all over the sink and mirror when we arrived as well. The valance on the bed was black by about an inch all around the bottom and the bed itself was awful, the springs had gone and made a bell/jingle noise everytime you got in ot out of of it or moved. The light switches were almost black with dirt. The pillows were lumpy and smelt, we had to put a t-shirt over them to sleep.The staff themselves were ok, some were nice others clearly couldn't be bothered, the food was ok when we ate there, which wasn't a lot as we just wanted to get away! The pool areas, especially the decking needs looking at but after we left it was closing for 4 weeks for a refurb. Not sure what they will be doing but the rooms need attention if ours was anything to go by. We had spent the previous week at Crystal Cove in St James, which was fabulous, but then it did cost 5 times what Butterfly cost us. Location was good for Oistins and the Gap but wouldn't stay here again. Pay a bit more if you are looking for a decent place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Butterfly-Management, General Manager at Butterfly Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear LondonTraveller100,

I am sorry to see you were unhappy with stay at Butterfly Beach. We are indeed closed this month for refurbishment...and top of our list is a complete rebuilding of all the wooden decks on the property. Due to our salty location right on the sea we were having a lot of trouble getting the paint to stick on the wooden decks and fences. I agree it didn't look as good as it should, and we are making the change. Most of our rooms are also being fully repainted during this upgrade to bring them back to standard.

Maintenance is an important part of any hotel but there is only so much we can do while open so unfortunately sometimes we have to wait a few months to be able to tackle those jobs while closed.

I have printed your comments for all our departments to investigate, but ask that you please also write me at management@butterflybeach.com so I can get your room number to better review your points raised.

Thank you for your business, we value all our guests and I am sorry you felt let down. We reopen on July 1 better than ever, and I hope that if you are ever considering an inexpensive holiday again you will give us another chance.

1,045 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have been to butterfly twice 2010/2013. its still good, great location on bus route and located directly on a good beach. Staff less attentive even rude at times. cleanliness- passable. it appears to be slipping in its overall standards.

I would go back but if current trends continues this would not be the case.

Room Tip: ground floor garden room. ocean views are in tower block!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
lu7 0ax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Just returned from Butterfly beach after having another fantastic holiday there.The staff there are fantastic and i cannot fault the hotel at all.We were made to feel so welcome and as usual i came home having to try and lose weight again.i Think its reputation speaks for itself and guests return back time after time.It is closing in june for a month for a bit of a refurb and to be honest all the rooms need are a coat of paint apart form that fantastic,It is so handy and has its ownl little piece of private beach.I f you are looking for a nice romantic holiday come to Butterfly, it is nice that the bar doesnt shut too late as it is nice to get a good sleep at nights without too much noise.
I have found paradise and its thanks to Amanda, Karen, John, Tenny,, Donna, and Marsha you both need a pay rise, yvette, lynette and jennifer and not forgetting Deborah in the gift shop if you go on tours get her to book it for you.See you all next year,

Aberdare, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Just returned from Butterfly beach for second time. The first was 8 years ago.
We are travel agents but this was a fully paid holiday and we were 8 people including a 12 year old, an oap and a 50th birthday. Rooms fine, air con great, view beautiful. Cleaning ok but nothing more. Was disappointed with service before our arrival from res. I asked for 2 adjacent rooms for our family and also asked questions about hairdryers, beach towels and kettle in 2 emails to reservations. The reply did not attempt to answer but on both occasions was a polite standard answer 'request has been noted and we will do our best'. To be fair we had 2 lovely rooms together but if my questions had been simply answered we would not have taken beach towels and travel kettles. Thankfully I took a hairdyer as there were none. John in bar excellent. Most of the rest average. A couple were almost hostile. Bar staff/manageress suggested one day that we had received drinks without paying - in front of other guests and friends. It was their error but it was not nice. On the last day we asked to have access to our rooms until we left at 2pm. The hotel was closing 2 days after we were leaving and most of the hotel rooms were clearly empty as the doors were open and the hotel was empty. We asked Jefferson at reception and he said no - sorry rooms had people coming in!! I challenged this and said we wouldnt normally ask but knew the hotel was closing for refurb (everyone knew). I asked if we could use another room to shower- no was the reply,.... after me standing my ground he finally went into the office and said his manager said we could have the rooms till 1pm. When we checked out we had difficulty in getting an itemised bar and restaurant bill - no idea why..but got it in the end.
It was just rather 'we cant wait for everyone to go' which was a shame. We did go to managers cocktails and only met res manager. Asked reception who owned the hotel - just out of interest - they didnt know.
So...we had a very good holiday. Will always return to Barbados. Service not awful but on an island which seems to be much less busy these days - we would have expected better service. You have to fight for customers these days and try to retain them through excellent service regardless of the standard of hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Butterfly-Management, General Manager at Butterfly Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Helen F,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the hotel. I'm glad to see we had many positives, but sorry to see where we let you down. We are indeed closing (well, closed now!) for the month of June for work, and as such in the last week and a half or so as rooms checked out we would 'pack them up' so even though not in use, they were not available for guest use. Prior to this we were actually quite busy, with 100% occupancy on May 18th for example. I know late checkouts are very nice to have, and it is disappointing perhaps when there doesn't seem to be a reason for the inability to offer one...but there really is a reason! I am sorry if this was not explained.

I am sorry that our reservations team didn't answer all your questions, and I will investigate. It isn't like them and I am sorry the oversight occurred. As far as guaranteeing the adjoining rooms--unfortunately the best we can usually do is indicate that we will do our best. Room assignments change with occupancy and sometimes we cannot accommodate guest requests, and we feel it is better to be open about this to avoid disappointment.

And lastly, most of our staff have been with us for many years and could happily have told you that the hotel is owned by the Kent family through a local company. However we do have a few new members of staff who perhaps somehow are unaware of this. Now that I realize it is necessary I will be sure that everyone knows!

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your holiday, and will return to Barbados. I hope perhaps that you will give Butterfly another chance as well...

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

A year ago, I gave Butterfly a five star review after our seventh stay at the hotel. It is with great sadness that I have to downgrade my opinion.
Butterfly has so much going for it; it’s very good value, well located (if a bit noisy) and the staff are fabulous. For us, it had become like a home from home. On our recent visit however, we were concerned to find that three generations of feral cats had taken up residence in and around the hotel. (And I do mean IN the hotel). On the face of it, this might not appear to be a big problem, but as the management did not ask guests not to feed the cats, many of them did, even putting food down for them in the restaurant, which meant that you couldn’t enjoy your dinner without cats crawling around your feet begging for food. Unfortunately for us, the people in the studio above ours threw food out for the cats, so we couldn’t escape them. Worse than that, the cats used the area as a lavatory, so my holiday started with stepping in cat faeces. The faeces, together with the remains of the birds that the cats had killed generated swarms of flies, which made sitting outside impossible, but then, we wouldn’t have wanted to sit outside, because the table and chairs were covered in filth, courtesy of the cats. On one occasion, I was trying to get some business done in the Wi-Fi area, and there was a woman crawling around on hands and knees with a bowl of tuna, making squeaking noises to attract the cats. That just isn’t an environment that suits me and the health and safety issues of feeing feral cats off hotel crockery don’t bear thinking about.
At the start of the holiday, I mentioned the problem to one of the management team, who appeared unconcerned and said that the cats would be found other homes. Three weeks later, nothing had happened and the same member of the management team couldn’t have appeared to care less. As anyone who knows cats will be aware, whatever homes are found for the cats, they are now so well established at Butterfly, and so well fed, that they will simply return, because the management has been slow, careless and unconcerned. Management is about making things happen; not doing nothing.
We have many happy memories of our holidays at Butterfly, but we won’t return.

Dear GastonSorbet,

Thank you for your latest visit. As I didn't get the chance while you were here I would like to personally apologize for the situation you found at Butterfly. It really had become untenable, and we are actively (now that we are closed) remedying the situation. I had tried before but it just was not possible to humanely trap and relocate the cats while the hotel was open. Anyone that asked should have been told the plan was to have them relocated when we closed in June. This is now happening. I am sorry this was not communicated to you properly. Please do not hesitate to write me directly with any other concerns; I would also like the opportunity to entice you back to Butterfly!

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Have stayed here many times and its always my first choice
Hadnt been able to get the full holiday here in Feb because it was booked up but managed to get in for the Reggae Festival in April
Friendly, efficient staff, clean large rooms with aircon & ceiling fans, perfect white sand beach and a restaurant/bar with good food & drinks at reasonable prices.

Its not surprising it is so popular with lots of repeat guests

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

second time round for us here+it certainly didnt disappoint us,as mentioned by many before me when staying here you must realize this is a 3* hotel not a 5* one, if you want that you go pay sandy lane prices so i cant relate to negative reviews,what you do get is a home from home hotel-clean,great friendly staff,big spacious rooms (do need a coat of paint alittle tired looking but very bajan),beautiful white sandy seafront beaches,safe,chilled,happy place to sunbathe in the beautiful carribean sunshine sipping a pina colada (best in barbados),we love the place+the people,cant fault it,infact id goes asfar as to say a holiday is what you make it, if you dont enjoy your stay here its because you didnt want to and nothing the hotel or staff do wrong,michelle+jefferson on reception are always friendly+willing to help out,debra in the shop is soooo lovely+great to book a daytrip with ("jamin" catamaran trip is a must),the guys in the reef bar john,karen,marsha,donna ect are all amazing serving great drinks+food,which again is very tasty+well presented,tenny+the ground staff,aswell as the service staff do a great job at keeping the pool area+public areas spotless,as i say embrace the hotel,people+surroundings for what it is and your sure to have a fabulous stay here...cya next year guys

Room Tip: obviously on holiday your only in your room to sleep so any room is fine,for lighter sleepers the re...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Butterfly Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!