I've been mulling over the experience of staying at Waves for the past few days. Some things are simply infuriating. Some things are quite good. I'll attempt to cover these with pros and cons:
1. Virgin Holidays: Since this resort is almost exclusively Virgin, you have to deal with the useless Barbados reps who, over the years, have CONSISTENTLY proven they don't care. I would not book any excursions with them nor engage with them at all in future, ensuring a much more pleasing holiday. Keep your interactions with them to a minimum and you'll be ok.
2. Management: Unlike the staff, they are useless. Examples include refusing to provide information during a 5 hour power cut -until we managed to assemble a group of disgruntled guests, at which point they told us absolutely nothing of value. Relying on a generator for power is fine, but not having a backup generator is plainly idiotic. As for new year's eve, instead of running the restaurant as usual, they decided to feed everyone at the same time. We waited two hours then left. Moronic.
3. Drinks: The rum and other spirits are either very weak brands (does anyone do a 25% rum?) or they are watered down. It's immediately apparent when you visit another bar and experience a full-fat drink.
4. Food: Limited choice and a quality that is only just edible. If you plan only to take a light breakfast and then a spot of lunch at Waves, and then take your main meal elsewhere, you'll be fine.
5. The pool: Pointless. It's in a courtyard and all you can hear is the road.
1. The staff: They are quite nice, polite and helpful.
2. Location: Difficult to beat. Right on the beach.
3. Rooms: Are of ok/good quality for the price. Pay extra for Ocean View unless you want to listen to road. We had a duplex room which was great.
4. Price: All things considered, you need to pay about 50% more in Barbados to get any better. There are other similarly priced places (like the Club) that are about the same, but don't have the beach space.
5. Beds: These appear to be memory foam and are very comfortable.
This place will continue to do well, despite the lacklustre food, weak drinks and the poor management. This is purely because of a LACK OF CHOICE at this price point. Go any lower, and you'll risk a place far from the beach, or minimal facilities, or just plain ghastly.
If they could simply sort out the basics, then this would be "Excellent" rather than "Average":
1. Provision of utilities: Power is important.
2. Management: Communicate with your customers, do not ignore them.
3. Do something about the food.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A cosy, full service all-inclusive beach-front resort where no effort is spared to deliver whatever our guests want. Exquisite spa, 3 restaurants, 3 bars, complimentary daily leisure activities, entertainment schedule and complimentary afternoon tea service. Adult-only section,sunset cocktail bar. Helpful, friendly staff. An unforgettable experience awaits. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Waves reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waves Hotel Saint James
- Escape At Prospect Bay Hotel
- Escape Hotel Spa Barbados
- Waves Barbados/Saint James Parish