“Fabulous 3rd trip to this fantastic hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Waves
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Prospect Bay, BB23000, Barbados   |
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
Worthing
“Fabulous 3rd trip to this fantastic hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Ignore the bad reviews, they really wouldn't know a good hotel if they fell over it!
This is a stunning boutique style hotel with great staff and amazing food!
Hotel looks exactly like the pictures in the brochure.
Granted the outside does not look amazing, however once inside the rooms are great and the Ocean views to die for.
If you like smaller hotels, good service, great food then this is the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Go for an oceanview room. Standard Island view rooms do not have a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

This was our first visit to Barbados and we were very very disappointed. The Virgin flight out however was very good. On arrival at Waves (which from the outside looked like a cell block) the staff were not very welcoming, in fact not very friendly at all. I also found the majority of the guests to be quite unfriendly.

The hotel had supposedly been recently refurbished??? Couldn't see it myself! It did not live up to it's brochure at all. It certainly didn't have any WOW factor. The pool looked uninviting and not too clean but the pool across the road at the Spa was okay in a tropical setting and much bigger but you had to get there early or very late to get a sunbed.

We had a duplex room but never used the balcony upstairs as the air con unit blew out hot air which you could do without in such humidity. The other reason being they were not private at all. The room itself however was very clean. The TV didn't work for 2 or 3 days towards the end of the week.

We found the Virgin Rep (Shaun) to be unapproachable as he always seemed a bit p...d off if you asked him anything unrelated to booking a trip. The first trip we wanted to go on happened once a week and we had missed it and the other we cancelled due to rain!!

It was extremely boring in the hotel, especially in the evening but there was nowhere near to the hotel you could go to escape the boredom. The main road outside had no pavements for pedestrians and was very badly lit and the traffic... well you took your life in your own hands crossing the roads!!!

The beach is tiny and narrow but the sea was gorgeous and I would say this was the best thing about the whole stay.

The entertainment in the hotel most night was very poor (the Tuesday night was absolutely atrocious - three men in drag trying to sing it was diabolical!!!)

Considering it was an all inclusive 'holiday' the staff were not very forthcoming with the drinks and the bar closed at 11 pm. The food however was excellent.

We were aware it was the rainy season but expected a quick heavy downpour and then hot sun but this was not the case, when it rained it rained and it rained!!! Everything was left out in the rain, all the mattresses and cushions on the day beds!! Then the next day they couldn't be used as they were still drying out. There was nothing at all to do when it rained and everyone just sat together in the lounge area with birds flying in and out pecking at the crumbs on the tables left from the 'afternoon tea'.

I must say by day two I was so miserable I wanted to go home!! I even began to like it when it rained as it reminded me of home.

We did however meet two lovely couples in the middle of the week which relieved the boredom of this tedious place.

It is such a long way to travel and so expensive to just sit watching the rain in an overrated hotel!! I would never ever go back to Waves. I am astonished at the 'rave' reviews I have read. It makes me wonder if these people stayed at the same place!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Lichfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

This was our first visit to Barbados so wasn't sure what to expect but we were so pleased we had booked into Waves. The whole package with Virgin was excellent. We travelled economy but found plenty of leg room, good video entertainment etc., and cheery staff. On arrival the hotel doesn't have the wow factor from the outside but once inside you see the fabulous setting of the Caribbean sea with palm trees and white sandy beach. The staff were all friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely happy in their work. The food was excellent and well presented in all the restaurants. We celebrated our wedding anniversary whilst there and the staff made the effort to put us a banner up and sparkles on the table when we had our evening meal. The two complimentary spa treatments were very professional and carried out to a high standard and with care. The complimentary boat trip was also amazing and gave guests the opportunity to swim with the turtles - one not to miss. We had a fabulous sea view room which wasn't luxurious but was spacious and clean and fully functional - plenty of space for your toilet bags etc., the bed are huge with wonderful white cotton sheets and very comfortable.

Thanks to all the staff for making it a wonderful relaxing holiday for us - we didn't have to worry about anything - Oh and by the way try a 'Bob Marley' cocktail (you'll want another if you do !!!)

Room Tip: Go for second floor sea view. We were in room 210 which was amazing. Take your camera the sunsets fr...
White Plains
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

After reading practically all of the reviews, I feel I was completely aware of what to expect, and therefore was not disappointed in the least. I will try to break this down as best I can...

Hotel- the main areas of the hotel are well kept and comfortable. I knew not to expect a grand entry way, so I was fine with the smaller lobby entrance. But the view of the sea more then makes up for anything that may be lacking. The pools were clean and comfortable, though a bit cooler then the sea. The decking was cleared every night and the cushions pulled in. Beaches and umbrellas were pulled out on the beach daily and there was always a seat available.

Our room- we booked an oceanview duplex, which was great. We really liked having the second floor to relax, make a drink and sit on our balcony. The only downside, was since the A/C units are on your balcony, it was a bit hot up there. The beds were super comfortable, and they did offer a pillow menu if you didn't like the ones provided. The bathrooms do not offer a bathtub, but the shower had a rainfall head and body jets. I saw someone comment on a review that they never got a hot shower, well we never had that problem at all. Hot showers at all times of the day.

Restaurants- since we were only there for a long weekend, we were able to have lunch and dinner in different spots each day. Breakfast at Seascape was nothing special, but certainly enough offered to get your day started. Our favorite lunch and dinner were both at East. And yes, the portion sizes are a bit small. But we found ordering an extra appetizer was the way to go. We never left hungry. Lunch at Seascape is buffet style, which is not really our thing. The day we ate there we wound up ordering room service a couple hours later. You are charged $10bds as a service fee, which I thought was reasonable. We ordered two salads, a burger/fries, chicken club/fries, two sodas and two Banks. It was surprisingly good and kept us until a late dinner. Dinner at Seascape was pretty good, dinner at Rosso Vivo was just ok.

Entertainment- that was certainly one area that was lacking. We heard no music during the day at pools, the beach, restaurants, nowhere. I didn't see any activities planned throughout the day. Since we were there for such a short time, it was fine, but if staying longer it would have gotten a bit boring. Two of the three nights there was live music. There was an accoustic duet that was amazing. The next nights's entertainer paled in comparison and took a lot more breaks. We did go to the afterhours lounge the night there was no music and played a bit of pool.

Staff- in general we found the staff just ok. There were a few exceptions, but for the most part, they do their jobs and that's pretty much it. They are not overly friendly, but certainly not rude either. The bartenders are fairly quick to serve, though it may or may not be with a smile. The waitstaff in the restaurants keep your glasses filled and come around often to see if you need anything. The beach staff would accomodate you if you asked for something, but they certainly didn't volunteer themselves up. We found this attitude to hold true for most islanders, so I don't think it was limited to the staff of the Waves.

Overall- the trip was wonderful for what we were looking for. It was our first "real" trip without our children and we just came in for a long weekend of relaxation, which is exactly what we got. The food was above average for an all-inclusive. I would reccomend it for anyone looking for some quiet time. I would not reccomend it for families, unless your kids are content with just the pool and beach, since there is really not much more.

Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We found this hotel on the virgin holiday site and checked it out on trip advisor. Like all reviews we seem to take more note of negative comments than the positive. However we went with it and were not disappointed. Getting off the plane it started to pour with rain and knowing it was the beginning of the wet season, it was not unexpected. The rain stopped after an hour and we arrived at the hotel in about 40 mins. All of our bags had arrived at the hotel just before us and we were greeted with a rum punch in the main bar area.
After completing our reception sign in , we were about to collect our bags when one of the staff said" let me take you bags to your room". He showed us to the room and explained all of the facilities. He was polite, informative and only the assistant manager !
When we booked we asked for a non smoking, top floor ocean view room. We were not disappointed, it was great. A sunset every night, a view of the beach and the ocean and just far enough away not to be affected by the bar at the bottom.
The hotel was as described. Three restaurants all serving a variety of food. There were usually two restaurants available on any given day, all of which had to be booked. There was entertainment in the evenings except for Friday, when most people took themselves off to Oistins.
Some of the reviews did not give much weight to the entertainment however, i must admit that we enjoyed everything that was laid on. I cannot review any other places to eat or drink outside of the hotel as we didn't feel the need to go out at night !
The beach was great. Some reviews said it was small but we watched the beach staff put out the sun beds every morning and there always seemed to be enough for everybody. Some guests put towels on the beds when they went to breakfast but that did not seem to stop anyone getting a bed. The water was warm and you could walk out and feel safe. Part of the water area was cordoned off for swimming and snorkeling and to stop jet skis getting in the way. Snorkeling was great fun and i even found a turtle with three flippers swimming a hundred yards off shore amongst the rocks. The catamaran on the beach was available to anyone and the beach staff would take you out on request if only for twenty minutes. There were kayaks and snorkeling equipment available, also bar staff would come around with cold drinks, beer and fruit juices etc. Most welcome as it was hot and dry almost everyday.
Be aware there are beach traders around but they have to be licensed and there are beach police (not policemen) just to enforce a presence.I have to say that we did not get hassled, if you said no thanks , they just moved on and were polite and friendly. The jetskis would be available from some of the locals and a little bartering might get a better rate however the going rate was about $50us for half an hour. One of the local beach traders was Sam. He was a polite, happy, and an easy going Bajan who would rent you a jetski, sell jewelry or take you on an island tour. We were a bit doubtful but he was mentioned on trip advisor, so we took an island tour with him. At $150US for about a 5 hour trip that was actually 6.5 hours, it turned out to be a good day out. In the end 4 of us went together( the price being the same) and we went everywhere. Even the rumshack on the other side of the island was a good laugh, drinking rum with the locals and surfers and eating chicken with hot Bajan sauce. Relax, enjoy and soak up the island. You will not be disappointed. Sam you were great. Thanks.
James & Kim Newbury

Room Tip: High floor with Ocean/Beach view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Girlie trip so had a duplex room so we could have some personal space.
When we arrived we were shown a twin double.
It took quite a lot of explaining to get the right room which given we had paid a supplement of about £200 was outrageous
However when at point of getting hacked off along came the most fantastic staff member I have ever encountered... Drum roll for SANDRA. She sorted everything and made us feel so special and welcome for the rest of the stay
After that glitch everything was fab
The food ranged from very good to awesome
The Bar staff were very generous with measures. Even the wine was drinkable
The beach isn't big and the non spa pool is a bit municipal but the Spa side was glorious
I'd be a bit hacked off if I had brought children with me and couldn't go to the spa side but the brochure is clear enough .
The Virgin reps weren't great but all the staff from day 2 were on the ball and fantastic
The weather was lousy which of course is so not the hotels fault but it made me wonder if I'd risk Barbados again
We went Royal Wedding Week which is dry season so the fact we got 2 sunny afternoons and the rest of time rain was suprising and very disappointing
Hole town karaoke on a Friday night was great fun
Angry annies is a total rip off
I've had better food in a service station!!!
In fact the food at hotel was so varied and good I think there us little point in eating out unless you can afford to go big like The Cliff or Sandy Lane
Big thanks Sandra and if I ever win the lottery I will buy you something very special as a thank U
X

• Stayed April 2011
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at Waves Hotel in September. First impression as we pulled up outside the hotel was a little concerning as it was adjacent to the road and looked very plain. This first impression soon went as we walked down the steps in to the reception area and had a glimpse of the beautiful caribbean sea. The staff were very welcoming and we settled in very quickly. We had a room over looking the road which wasn't a problem at all as it was very spacious and recently renovated. Infact Ronda who showed us to our first room wasn't happy with the smell of paint so she moved us without me even asking !. We met some lovely people - Hi to Martin and Sue if they look at Trip Advisor - and Alwyn and Alison. Shawn the Virgin rep was very helpful and the hotel staff generally were great. I felt safe and very much at home. As regards the road I was expecting a dual carriageway ! It's just a coastal road that you have to take a bit of care with when crossing that's all - not a problem really as long as you give the locals time to stop for you which they don't have to. The food is superb and plenty of variety and the cocktails are plentiful ! Best restaurant is East and a close second is Seascape. Didn't have such good meals in Rosso Vivo unfortunately. Anyone who uses the gym facilities please bear in mind it is a bit basic and the treadmill belt jammed when I was on it - but there again my fault for being in there according to my daughter! Overall a great place and I look forward to going back. Too many good staff to thank but Sandra, Ronda, Ray(watersports) and Desiree and Iva in spa deserve a mention.

Room Tip: You probably would have to pay more for beach view
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Waves? Share your experiences!