“The best holiday we have ever had, thanks Beechview” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paynes Bay, BB24009, Barbados   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Norwich, United Kingdom
“The best holiday we have ever had, thanks Beechview”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

From start to finish this was the best holiday my wife and I have ever had, and Beechview had a major role in making this happen.

I am very particular where I stay and expect very high standards, and Beechview delivered and exceeded these expectations before, throughout, and after our stay.
Before we even left the UK for Barbados, I had a number of requests that I emailed to Carrie, and they we all addressed very quickly and professionally. My main request was that we have an apartment on a high floor with an ocean view (this must be the standard request, as surely everyone must want this), and our room (308) was exactly what we asked for.

Tony the tiger (yes that’s his name) picked us up at the airport and was very friendly throughout our journey to Beechview, when we arrived; Carrie, Robin and the team greeted us and showed us to our room. To our delight, we found we had been given the middle room on the top floor (room 308), it was the perfect start to our holiday. We got to see the sunrise and sunset everyday (this is not to be missed).

All the facilities at Beechview are of the highest quality, and the fact you had a fully fitted kitchen, washer / dryer and massive lounge area in your room makes it that much better. We quickly connected to the free wifi access without any trouble.

I booked Beechview based on the great reviews on trip advisor, so there is no real need to reiterate how great this place is, trust me it really is that good. I cannot believe that anyone could give Beechview negative feedback, as the team is so efficient and friendly, every request is taken care of straightaway.

The location is excellent, as we wanted a chilled out stay away from the touristy commercialised areas in and around Bridgetown, and are not really fussed about nightclubs and bars. We loved the nearby town of Holetown which had everything we wanted, from a Supercentre supermarket at the West Coast Mall to some excellent places to eat.

Unfortunately while we there the numbers for Robins (owner of Beechview) cocktail party were too low for it to take place, but I am sure we will be able to this next time we return (we decided on day 1 that we will be going back)

Five places that were great to eat and I would highly recommend, as my wife is vegetarian and these places all cater for vegetarians.

1. The Roti den – simple tasty food at a reasonable price
2. The Tides – one of the best places we ate on the island, a real treat that should not be missed
3. Zaccios in Holetown– great ocean views and very tasty food, we loved their hot bajan sauce (we actually bought back two big bottles of the stuff)
4. On Thursday, Friday and Saturday, local barbeque food stand 10 minutes walk down the road. We were told the chef used to be head chef at the Sandy Lane hotel – chicken or fish, rice and salad for £7 , very tasty
5.On Friday and Saturday, local barbeque food stand over the road next to the fish market. I had blue marlin, salad and rice with lamb gravy for £7, and my wife had vegetarian macaroni pie, salad and rice for £5. Big portions and very tasty.

We went on 2 trips that we very very good and we would highly recommend both, as these were recommended to us by the team at Beechview, and we throughly enjoyed them.
1. Atlantis submarine trip.
2. All day Cool running’s catamaran trip.

I don’t think that we could have asked for a better trip and better hotel, their location, facilities, the staff are second to none.

We are already planning our next trip back to Barbados and there is only one place where we would want to stay, that is the Beechview. Well done Robin & Carrie for running an extremely efficient and tight ship.

Thank you Robin, Carrie and the Beechview Team, we hope to see you soon

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed at the Beachview for 7 nights pre and post a Windstar cruise from Bridgetown; 4 nights during Christmas and 3 nights in the New Year. We chose Beachview based on recommendations posted on TripAdvisor. Even though we had high expectations given the past reviews, the Beachview staff managed to surpass our expectations on all accounts. The staff is very friendly and quite helpful with advice on activities, touring and restaurants and even went as far as making all of our dinner reservations for us in advance.

The property and accommodations are impeccable. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit during Christmas and a 3 bedroom unit upon our return in the New Year. The units are very clean, well furnished and well kept with all the conveniences one might want including a washer and dryer, dishwasher, I-Pod docking station and satellite TV, to name a few.

The units all have balconies/patios with an abundance of very nice teak furniture to relax and enjoy the views. The pool area is on par with any top resort hotel. The complex is across the street from the beach were one can access good swimming and snorkeling just a few minutes walk up the beach.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Beachview and would recommend it for any families travelling to Barbados.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

In reveiw of our recent trip to Barbados, we chose to stay in Paynes Bay, located in St. James Parish. A bit out of the hussle of Bridgetown. We selected this location because it is located just minutes away from Holetown.

We could not have made a better choice than that of "Beach View Apartments"!

As I use TripAdvisor for many researches from vacation rentals to restaurants, I find it somewhat cumbersome to dissect and extract the analytical information I seek from opinionated blogs.

So here are our TOP reasons why this Hotel deserves a #1 rating:

STAFF & SERVICE
Friendly - Sincere - Knowledgeable - Resourceful
- From the moment we arrived the Staff at Beach View (BV) took the inititive to learn our names and greet us with them upon each encounter. Never once did I not cross the path of a groundskeeper to the guard to the service desk without being greeted with a warm smile and "Good afternoon John (or Mr. Smith if you preferred)" . You were always treated here as their guest and not just another accounting dollar.
- Every resort I have stayed at has their version of a 'Rum Punch Party' The difference here is the owner/manager of the rental hosts a weekly meet&greet party at his personal home (also on the beach) just a short walking distance from the resort. Transportation was provided for those who prefer not to walk. Far more intimate and definately a nice touch.
- Our WiFi was not working on arrival. The staff had diagnosed the problem (broken router) in minutes (not hours or days) and had it fixed by the time i got back from my ocean swim. (In addition to the Wifi, each room is hardwired in as well.)
- Room Service was timely and efficent. Nothing was left unturned.

FACILITIES
- The grounds are kept impecable. Not a cigarette butt nor plastic cup to be found in unwanted areas.
- (BV) is 2 years old.
- Vehicle Rentals
- UNITS ARE CLEAN
- Units are large and spacious
- Pool is large enough and has a separate child/infant area
- Ample parking
- Gated entry and evening guard service
- Bus Stop across the street (Just 75 US Cents) to travel anywhere on Bus
- Washer/dryer in room

LOCATION
- Minutes from Holetown
- Shopping (Minimal)
- Great dining choices
- Grocery Market
- Local transportation available

In my opinionated review, BV is a FANTASTIC choice If you are looking into staying in the Paynes Bay area. Although, realistically it may not be for everybody. Do your research and determine your requirements. I went to Barbados to relax, dive and dine. I didn't go there to shop at high end retailers or to hang out at a club. If you want nightlife (Bars & Clubs) stay closer to Bridgetown. If you need shop for that diamond braclet, stay closer to Bridgetown. If you'd like a mint on your pillow at night, stay closer to Bridgetown. If you require crowed beaches, you guessed it - stay closer to bridgetown.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We have just returned from our stay at Beach View, and what a fabulous holiday it was. Everyone at Beach View is really friendly, kind and helpful. The rooms are very spacious and well equipped – hair dryers, washing machine and drier, dishwasher, iPod docking station, DVD player, satellite TV etc.. The maids are all lovely and keep the rooms spotless. We were on the first floor and the view from the balcony was glorious – a lovely view of the sea, and also the beautifully lush grounds of Beach View.

Carrie is amazing – before our arrival she was very prompt at answering any questions we had by e-mail, and during our stay she was really helpful. A lovely lady. Her father Robin is also a very kind and generous man, and his cocktail parties on Thursday evenings are just fabulous. Together they run Beach View in a way we simply can’t fault. I miss Atticus's smile almost as much as I miss his granola! He and Joanne serve the most wonderful breakfasts in the hut. The Monday evening BBQs are also fantastic – Atticus has a wonderful way of flavouring the fish and meat, and it's a great way to meet the other guests staying at Beach View.

There is a small beach across the road from Beach View, but a short walk along the beautiful shore takes you to a bigger beach, Paynes Bay,where we spent most of our days. We walked along the shore right up past Sandy Lane a couple of days – it's all beautiful. A few people wander past asking if you want to buy jewellery, but they are really friendly and don't mind at all if you say no – in fact it is lovely and interesting to chat to them.

There are lots of hotels and restaurants within walking distance from Beach View. Our favourite local one was Cariba, which is 5 minutes walking distance just past The Cliff – great flavours and really friendly people. In Bridgetown we went to Lobster Alive as a treat on our last night – a beautiful setting right on the beach, and the most delicious lobster ever! Another great place was Paulo’s Brazilian Churrasco – servers walk round with different joints of meat skewered onto swords, and slice off pieces as you require them. This was a great hit with all the family, as you turn your disc from red to green when you are ready for more – one server had a pineapple which was delicious!

Buses run regularly along the main road stopping just outside Beach View. We always hoped a yellow bus would arrive first as they are such fun – playing music and driving slightly on the wild side! Great fun! We popped up to Holetown several times on these, and I went shopping in Pelican Village near Bridgetown by myself while the family lazed by the pool. We had a car the second week, which was great for exploring more of the Island, but it's not a necessity. We went on the Cool Runnings catamaran trip, and they picked us up and dropped us off again. Also the Harbour Lights show we were picked up and dropped off. Both of those trips are highly recommended. The guys on Cool Runnings are just fantastic!! Even the most dour of people will end up dancing on the deck of the catamaran by the end of their trip I'm sure!!! You swim with turtles and snorkel over a wreck where you are surrounded by beautiful fish. I was really impressed with their patience with those not so confident in the water. They made sure that everyone felt safe and secure and saw the beauties the water had to offer. My 74-year-old Mum had not snorkelled before, and was very nervous, but they took great care of her and she was thrilled to see the turtles and fish! Harbour Lights was fantastic too – they create a great party atmosphere and the performers were just amazing – seeing a fire eater up close was a complete mixture of fear and fascination!!!

The bottom line is that Beach View is the perfect place in the perfect location. You really couldn't ask for more.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I do not travel anywhere without checking reviews on Trip Advisor. When I saw that this hotel got such outstanding reviews, I knew I had found a gem. My family and I traveled to Barbados for Christmas and it was excellent. The Beach View is a small hotel, but it has everything you need for a relaxing stay. The suites are large and very clean, and the pool is small but very nice and clean as well. What really sets this place apart is the service. The staff at the Beach View are so accomodating and wonderful. They will help you rent a car, give recommendations for good spots to eat, set up cab rides... whatever you need! They truly were so friendly and helped make our vacation special.

The only thing the hotel does not have is Beach access. However, the beach is directly across the street and the water is fairly calm to swim in. The hotel is such a nice experience, that not having direct beach access isn't really an issue. I do recommend renting a car as there are many places to see around the island and cabs can get expensive. If I ever return to Barbados, I will absolutely book this place again. It's better than staying at a resort. I felt more at home here. The manager of the Hotel even throws a Cocktail Party at his house for all the guests! And trust me, it is worth going :)

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

I booked a surprise trip to Barbados for my girlfriend's birthday - yeah I know, I'm the best - and after some research the Beach View came back as the best hotel/apartment and value for money in the country. The rooms are massive, clean and have a stunning view of the sea. Each apartment has everything you could possible need, this isn't one of those self catering rooms where all you get is a 2 ring hob and a crap kettle. There's a large double cooker, fridge freezer, dishwasher, coffee maker, washing machine, tumble dryer, widescreen TV, free wifi and yes, a decent kettle.

The rooms are cleaned every day and are spotless. If you forget to do any of your washing up the maids will even do it for you. I bet there's a few lazy gits who take advantage of the staff here. The standards are so high I beg the Beach View not to let them drop. It feels like a rarity these days, especially back home in Britain.

The reception staff at the hotel are excellent, they're happy to help and advise, as well as book excursions. I even heard some cheeky guests were getting them to book their dining reservations. Everyone is so nice, I don't know if they're genuine or if they're doing it because it's their job but whatever the reason they're doing it to make sure your stay is as good as possible.

The only improvement I could see being added to the Beach View is a bar, it would have been nice to have somewhere to go at the end of the day and to chat with the other guests but otherwise it's brilliant. It's also not advertised so not a cause for complaint, just something that would have been nice. It's not so bad though as the alternative is to buy a crate of cheap larger from the supermarket and settle back on the balcony and watch the sun go down.

As for Barbados, it's a beautiful place but we found you need to make the effort. Hire a car and see the island, it won't come to you. There's some lovely and secluded beaches away from the well trodden paths. Unfortunately on the first day we were hassled by a lot of dope dealers as we were walking up and down the beach. Fortunately they weren't aggressive and saying no was enough to get rid of them but it was frequent enough to be annoying. Fortunately this only happened the Sunday we arrived. I can only assume the dealers were working their day jobs at the bank the rest of the week.

The food in Barbados is generally poor and expensive at best. We found most of the restaurants to be over priced and often poor quality. The best food we found was the hot lunches served at the Supermarkets, of which there is a brilliant one in Hole Town. My other top food tip would be the Oystins fish fry on Fridays. The food here is excellent, just pick the stall with the biggest queue. It's also a great night out, only slightly marred by the coke dealers that followed me into the toilet. Oh and if you like KFC you're in luck as there's one on every corner in Barbados.

Night life in Barbados is a bit odd. There's very few decent bars, most of which seemed to be part of restaurants. Fortunately the local beer is cheap and tasty. A few people recommended the St Lawrence Gap for nightlife but on the weeknight we went, we had a drug dealer try to wave down our car and after parking we were immediately pushed on by another dealer with his wife and baby. Nice. The taxi drivers can also be a bit persistent. We ate at the Pisces restaurant, which looked very pretty but like the rest of the island's eating was over priced with below average food.

If you decide to go on a catamaran cruise make sure you book with Cool Runnings. The crew are excellent. A bunch of over confident dudes (in a good way) on a luxury new boat, who serve great food, a free bar and do their best to make sure everyone has a great time. I promise you, everyone on the other cruises will be looking at your boat wishing they'd booked with you. The crew were also really great with the kids on the boat, swimming with the younger children and making sure even the shyest child didn't feel excluded. Don't let the Virgin rep talk you into booking their cruise, it will only be with a rival company, not Virgin, and looked dull in comparison when we saw them drift past on their old boat.

Overall I'd say Barbados is a beautiful island with fantastic beaches. The place isn't exactly family friendly, I can imagine the beaches and foot paths being hard work for those with kids and buggies. The Bajan people are friendly, considerate and love to toot their horns. The country feels very safe, the drug and jet ski dealers can get annoying but that's all, don't let this put you off going. Most of the older people we spoke to didn't have a problem with them either, so they must be targeting a certain age group or just the people like me who look like rock stars.

If you do go, unless you want all inclusive, make sure you stay at the Beach View. Be sure to ignore the bad reviews, they are completely unjustified. The Beach View lives up to all expectations and thoroughly deserves the excellent reviews it's earned.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

We are wrapping up a week long stay over Christmas week at Beach View Barbados. The staff is really in a class of its own, from pre-visit advice to last-minute help locating a rental car (highly recommend getting one) during the busiest travel week of the year. The grocery shopping service proved extremely helpful as we arrived to find markets closed for two days due to Christmas and Boxing Day.

Strengths:
1. Management and staff - see comments above
2. Location - convenient to many great beaches on the west coast, walking distance to some of the best restaurants on the island
3. Spacious and well-equipped suites
4. Great views of the carribean sea with passing boats and cruise ship traffic in and out of Bridgetown
5. Nice pool area
6. Maid sevice was comprehensive and unobtrusive
7. Repairs (in our case of the clothes washer) were made quickly and efficiently
8. Free wireless internet access

Other Considerations
1. Night-time noise levels are a bit high if you are a light sleeper -- more frogs, crickets, and waves than road noise though.
2. Lack of A/C in the living areas was for us an issue. We cooked in a lot and the heat of the stove really warms the place up.

Attractions We Would Recommend:

1. Chilly Moo's ice cream near Rockley Beach on the south coast
2. Harrison's Cave - incredibly upgraded for 2010 -- worth a visit even if you have been there before
3. Just Grillin' restaurant in Hole Town
4. Treasure Beach - just up the road and an easy walk from the Beach View
5. Rockley Beach - very different feel from the West Coast beaches but break-water really calms the wave action on windy days
6. SuperCenter Market in Warrens - The best grocey store by far and not too far away if you take a right at the Roti Den and then a left on the next major road.
7. The fish market across the street from the hotel. I had no knowledge of how to cook fish but the sales person told me what to do and it was very easy. Just don't wait until the second to last day of your trip (as we did) to go there!

Things We Liked Less

1. Mullins Beach - We went there on a high surf day (possibly also at high tide) to find the beach seemingly eroded away. If it's a windy day you might have better luck elsewhere.
2. Roti Den - We thought Chefette was much better.

All in all a great stay. We would highly recommend Beach View especially for families with young children.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Beach View? Share your experiences!