“Just Right” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
California
“Just Right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I dove with Eco Dive Barbados in May 2014 at the end of a Royal Caribbean cruise - dived St. Lucia the day before. Having dived in a few great spots (Australia, Thailand, Mexico, Pulau, etc) along a variety of dive operators, Andrew's operation is among my favorites. Andrew: Knowledgeable, Conscientious, Responsible, Courteous. I have read most of the reviews here. It seems 99% of the reviews are stellar and only a few negative. To comment on the few points of negativity:

1. The boat is not that much smaller than many of the dives I've been on and the time it takes to get to the surrounding reef is extremely short.

2. Andrew was explicit when he said that if you stay a long time in one location or wander off on your own, he will assume you know what you are doing. Let me just say this. Andrew states at the beginning of his dives that he is in no rush whatsoever and that he will go slow. He held to his word. If you are staying so long in one place that you completely lose the group in a dive location that you've likely never been to, well that is irresponsibility on your part and you should know better. I was highly observant and Andrew was definitely keen on watching out for the group the entire time.

My time with Andrew was a 2 dive trip to Shark's Point and a ship wreck. For each dive, Andrew and the staff were extremely helpful (fins, mask treatment, etc.) and punctual at the pick up and drop off at the cruise ship.

If I'm back to Barbados one day, I will 100% dive with Eco Dive Barbados as long as Mr. Western is running it.

Ashburn, Virginia
“The Perfect Choice - Barbados Diving At Its Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I dove with Andrew while on vacation spanning 12 - 22 May. I had the time of my life. From the pickup at Ocean 2 Residences, to the drive through Bridgetown to meet the diveboat dockside, to safe storage of my dive gear at each days end, to the snacks and good conversation at surface intervals, topped off by outstanding divesites and customer service, EcoDive was the best choice. Andrew kept it low key and professional, and permitted 1 + hour divetimes for almost all of the dives I did. Mikey was a stalwart as boat captain.

All dives were very relaxing, stress free, with each affording lifetime memories. From the SS Stavronikitas, to the 5 wrecks in Carlisle Bay, Shark Bank, The Fort, and others, highlights included morays, turtles, jacks, parrotfish and other 'players', along with abundant coral formations in amazing colors. That's why we dive!! The wrecks, usually not affording penetration, offered glimpses of cargo holds, passageways, screws (props), abundant schools of fish; each wreck unique in its own way. In closing, you can look at other diveshops, but in this case, EcoDive Barbados 5 STAR / "Excellent" ratings are surely warranted from this Master Diver. I will be back.

O'Fallon, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
“Trustworthy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I were coming in on a cruise ship and booked directly with Eco Dive for scuba diving. Andrew was very prompt in replying to all my emails and answering all my questions.

On the day we arrived in Barbados, he was waiting for us at our predesignated meeting place. He informed us his boat had just broken down. He had made arrangements for us to dive with one of his Divemasters using another dive shop he was friends with and trusted (Rogers Scuba Shack). You could easily tell he was disappointed over his boat breaking down and putting us into that situation. We were there to dive and we knew Eco Dive had excellent reviews. If Andrew felt comfortable putting us with Rogers Scuba Shack, then that was fine with us (besides we'd done our research ahead of time and already knew Rogers Scuba Shack also had good reviews).

Andrew drove us over to Rogers Scuba Shack and introduced us to Eco Dive's DM Mikey. Andrew stayed with us the entire time we prepared for our dive. Eco Dive sets your gear up for you, although we elected to set up our own gear. Once it was ready, Mikey carried it out to the dive boat (there is no dock so you have to wade through the water to get to the dive boat). Andrew took the items we didn't want to get wet, and locked them inside the office for safekeeping.

On the boat, Mikey took good care of us. Since we were on another company's dive boat, we were at their mercy for where we dove. However, we dove with only Mikey and did not have to dive with the rest of the divers. We would dive in the opposite direction and then the boat would pick us up wherever Mikey told them we would be ending our dive at. So once we got in the water and separated, we actually never saw the other divers which was very nice.

Mikey was very good at finding interesting things underwater to point out to us. We saw turtles, rays, and spotted moray eels. On the boat, Mikey provided us with plenty of water to drink and granola bars to snack on during the surface interval.

After returning to the dive shop, we were provided with fresh water for rinsing our gear and there were spots available to hang it to dry.

We battled some sea sickness (even after taking Meclizine) and Mikey told us about Stugeron which is available over the counter but is not available in the USA. After we were finished diving, Mikey took the time to drive us over to Eco Dive's shop and gave us a few pills of Stugeron to try on our next dives (which we did and felt just as good as if standing on dry land even when we were in very rough seas - thank you Mikey!). He then drove us back to our cruise ship.

Although it was a bummer Andrew's boat broke down, they way he handled the situation was very commendable. He did everything he could to make sure we had an enjoyable experience and discounted our dives due to the inconvenience. We were very appreciative that he did not just cancel the dives and instead made sure we were still able to go diving. If we are back on Barbados in the future, we will definitely get hold of him to dive again!

Visited June 2014
New York City, New York
“great choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Andrew will take care of you. Extremley helpful ,nice,not in a hurry and the most important he takes no more than 6 divers for the same price as other dive shops that take many more.

Visited June 2014
Jaipur, India
10 attraction reviews
“Very Professional!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Really enjoyed our couple of dives with Andrew.
Everything was done at a good pace and all the equipment was in good condition.
Andrew was very polite and Professional!
id recommend eco dive to anyone :)