“The Perfect Choice - Barbados Diving At Its Best” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ashburn, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The Perfect Choice - Barbados Diving At Its Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I dove with Andrew while on vacation spanning 12 - 22 May. I had the time of my life. From the pickup at Ocean 2 Residences, to the drive through Bridgetown to meet the diveboat dockside, to safe storage of my dive gear at each days end, to the snacks and good conversation at surface intervals, topped off by outstanding divesites and customer service, EcoDive was the best choice. Andrew kept it low key and professional, and permitted 1 + hour divetimes for almost all of the dives I did. Mikey was a stalwart as boat captain.

All dives were very relaxing, stress free, with each affording lifetime memories. From the SS Stavronikitas, to the 5 wrecks in Carlisle Bay, Shark Bank, The Fort, and others, highlights included morays, turtles, jacks, parrotfish and other 'players', along with abundant coral formations in amazing colors. That's why we dive!! The wrecks, usually not affording penetration, offered glimpses of cargo holds, passageways, screws (props), abundant schools of fish; each wreck unique in its own way. In closing, you can look at other diveshops, but in this case, EcoDive Barbados 5 STAR / "Excellent" ratings are surely warranted from this Master Diver. I will be back.

O'Fallon, Illinois
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Trustworthy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I were coming in on a cruise ship and booked directly with Eco Dive for scuba diving. Andrew was very prompt in replying to all my emails and answering all my questions.

On the day we arrived in Barbados, he was waiting for us at our predesignated meeting place. He informed us his boat had just broken down. He had made arrangements for us to dive with one of his Divemasters using another dive shop he was friends with and trusted (Rogers Scuba Shack). You could easily tell he was disappointed over his boat breaking down and putting us into that situation. We were there to dive and we knew Eco Dive had excellent reviews. If Andrew felt comfortable putting us with Rogers Scuba Shack, then that was fine with us (besides we'd done our research ahead of time and already knew Rogers Scuba Shack also had good reviews).

Andrew drove us over to Rogers Scuba Shack and introduced us to Eco Dive's DM Mikey. Andrew stayed with us the entire time we prepared for our dive. Eco Dive sets your gear up for you, although we elected to set up our own gear. Once it was ready, Mikey carried it out to the dive boat (there is no dock so you have to wade through the water to get to the dive boat). Andrew took the items we didn't want to get wet, and locked them inside the office for safekeeping.

On the boat, Mikey took good care of us. Since we were on another company's dive boat, we were at their mercy for where we dove. However, we dove with only Mikey and did not have to dive with the rest of the divers. We would dive in the opposite direction and then the boat would pick us up wherever Mikey told them we would be ending our dive at. So once we got in the water and separated, we actually never saw the other divers which was very nice.

Mikey was very good at finding interesting things underwater to point out to us. We saw turtles, rays, and spotted moray eels. On the boat, Mikey provided us with plenty of water to drink and granola bars to snack on during the surface interval.

After returning to the dive shop, we were provided with fresh water for rinsing our gear and there were spots available to hang it to dry.

We battled some sea sickness (even after taking Meclizine) and Mikey told us about Stugeron which is available over the counter but is not available in the USA. After we were finished diving, Mikey took the time to drive us over to Eco Dive's shop and gave us a few pills of Stugeron to try on our next dives (which we did and felt just as good as if standing on dry land even when we were in very rough seas - thank you Mikey!). He then drove us back to our cruise ship.

Although it was a bummer Andrew's boat broke down, they way he handled the situation was very commendable. He did everything he could to make sure we had an enjoyable experience and discounted our dives due to the inconvenience. We were very appreciative that he did not just cancel the dives and instead made sure we were still able to go diving. If we are back on Barbados in the future, we will definitely get hold of him to dive again!

Visited June 2014
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“great choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Andrew will take care of you. Extremley helpful ,nice,not in a hurry and the most important he takes no more than 6 divers for the same price as other dive shops that take many more.

Visited June 2014
Jaipur, India
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Very Professional!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Really enjoyed our couple of dives with Andrew.
Everything was done at a good pace and all the equipment was in good condition.
Andrew was very polite and Professional!
id recommend eco dive to anyone :)

Memphis, Tennessee
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Help when you need it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I booked a two dive with Eco divers for May 27th. I was picked up on time from my hotel lobby and joined a group of 4 other divers that day. Andrew went over some safety tips with us and his expectations of us as divers. He is very Eco conscious and lets you know he will not be disturbing the reef or life in any way, which I support. Andrew also lets you know he is a guide and there to help, not to babysit, it is up to you, as a certified adult diver, to stay with the group. He promised a slow laid back dive and he delivered. As we reached the spot I noticed the waters were rougher than I was used to but I wasn't worried, until I entered the water. I was getting thrown a good bit by some good size swells while I waited for the others divers to enter. Just as we were starting our decent and i was focusing on the task at hand, I got blindsided by a good size wave. The wave knocked the reg out of my mouth and I swallowed a good bit of sea water. I noticed I was now the only diver still above the water and i was choking a bit on the water. Andrew resurfaced, gave me a smile and let me know to calm it and take my time if I needed. I was able to get down fine after that and went on with my dive. It was a good dive, saw turtles, eels and other marine life. The surges were pretty strong that day but all in all, a good dive. Everyone seemed to be doing fine. As we reached the end of our dive I noticed a burning in my stomach, wasn't feeling well. Once we got closer to the surface and I felt those rough waters again it was clear to me it wasn't going to end well. We hit the surface andIi let Andrew know I felt pretty sick and feeling sicker all the time. He grabbed my BC and held on to me while we waited for the boat. I was getting greener by the second. He helped me back to the boat, got my fins off, and assisted me up the ladder. Once I hit the deck, well, lets just say over the side I went. Sorry again to the poor divers still in the water as I proceeded to vomit off the side. There were other diver masters on board who quickly helped me get out of the rest of my gear. I laid down and Andrew told me we were heading back to drop me off. He was very kind and told me "no worries, happens to us all". He took good care of me. Made sure my equipment was rinsed (i brought my own) and packed up all my stuff for me, helped me to the truck and they took me back to my hotel. He never made me feel like a burden nor ignore my needs. He was helpful and attentive, what more can you ask from a dive master...he was there when he was needed. I have never gotten sick before diving or boating, I have to wonder if that big gulp of sea water did me in...but I would absolutely dive with Andrew again and highly recommend using Eco. thanks Andrew