“Totally disagree” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Water sports, Adventure
5 attraction reviews
“Totally disagree”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I just checked in to this site because Andrew was out of his Eco Dive t-shirts when I dove with him in February this year and wanted to see if I could order one now, saw that very negative review. I totally disagree. Andrew runs a tight ship. If you are like me and want a great, safe uncrowded dive, go with Eco Dive.

Visited February 2014

Iowa City, Iowa
“Choose another Dive Shop”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I want to let all who care about taking a quality dive excursion to read this, please!
1. Make sure you can take a drying towel of some sort on board with you.
2. Make sure your dive-boat is at least 25 ft. long in rough seas. Ours was approximately 15 ft. at most.
3. Make sure the establishment respects your diving training. For example, I do not like being grabbed to re-establish where my weights should be on my on own person, they are where I want them to be.
4. Make sure the establishment knows where you stand on facial mucus. This establishment did not allow for any on board their small boat. They douse you coming out of the dive on the ladder with fresh water to clean you before you step on their little boat. Wow, really? You can’t spray your boat down? Remember, you have no drying towel.
5. Make sure the establishment will stay with you on the dive. This establishment states to you on the pre-dive session that they will leave you behind if you don’t stay with the group. According to them, you are a professional, so in accordance that you should wander away for some reason or trouble, you should know how to fix it. One of our group stayed at the wreck to long and they did what they said!
6. Make sure the establishment respects your ability as a diver, advanced or otherwise. It seems all our movements while diving were dictated and choreographed by the establishment. I should have picked up on that at the pre-dive session, but I overlooked it.
7. Make sure the dive-boat captain stays close to the pick-up area. Ours was about 100yds. out and took a very long time to pick-up divers when surfaced. In rough seas it proves to be out there long, very difficult even for the best of shape divers.
8. Last but not least, make sure the outfit you sign on with, offers you an enjoyable dive as oppose to a rough seas dive that promises you more to see when you go down. For the money you are paying these people you deserve an enjoyable dive not one selected by them for their convenience. Did I mention we had no towel, none were permitted on board.
ECO-DIVE in Barbados is one to stay away from! A small outfit with a small boat, to many rules and bad management. I just returned home in April from vacation and it was all good until I went diving there with my wife. So I hope this will help some out there to see some things that I should have seen but missed.

Visited April 2014
northants
5 attraction reviews
“Once again, fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is the 2nd time we have dived in Barbados, the last time being in Sept 2012. Nothing has changed - Andrew, with the aid of Mikey, still runs a really tidy and professional dive operation.

We spent a week in Tobago before arriving in Barbados and it gave us a great opportunity to have a Caribbean comparison when returning to Eco Dive (I don't think its fair to compare operations like-for-like across the world) - Andrew is polite, professional, very knowledgeable of everything from diving to Barbados to the Caribbean generally and from a lady's point of view, quite a gent! They don't have a shop but an unit which holds kit securely and obviously acts as a classroom for qualifications; the boat, while small, is well kept and tidy. Max we had was 6 divers, which makes for a good sized group while actually diving, and as most sites are 10 - 15 mins away you're not on it for long. There is no problem bringing a towel and sunscreen onboard. Andrew is meticulous about looking after kit and he will ensure all of your own kit is washed out properly daily and before you leave. Supposedly the waters around Barbados is saltier and hence they will weight you slightly heavier on the first dive just in case.

The diving is lovely lazy diving, although the Stav at 30m is lovely deeper dive. The 5 wrecks in the marine park is a fab dive although this time there were lots of snorkellers but that made it a little more fun watching them from below! The surface interval can also be spent feeding and having close encounters with turtles. My partner and I both enjoy underwater photography and Andrew is very knowledgeable and helpful on getting the shots. As a photographer himself, he also dives quite slowly to enable us to catch up. He does give a detailed briefing so if you do veer off, you know what you're doing. If its a dive where you need to stick with him, he will tell you.

Visited April 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Best dive in Barbados!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Well worth the money! Andrew will make sure you have an unforgettable trip! He, together with the great driver of the boat, will make sure you are comfortable and great diving trip! Don't expect all inclusive drinks as other might offer, but instead the focus is on excellent diving, expertise and and overall wonderful experience! This is exactly what we were looking for! Thanks Andrew and crew!!!

Visited March 2014
Fort Wayne, Indiana
12 attraction reviews
“I will be a repeat customer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Great day of diving. Two tank dive, only 6 divers. Gave us a refresher since it had been a while since my last dive. Very attentive to detail and safety, which I appreciated. Great job Mikey and Andrew.

Visited March 2014