“SUP Barbados” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Water sports, Adventure
barbados
“SUP Barbados”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We decided to try SUP paddle boarding and as a local, we make an appointment with Ryan to go paddle boarding as he came highly recommended. We met at Batts Rock, which is on the west coast of the island (the Caribbean Sea). Batts Rock is a great area for beginners as the bay is protected so the wind is not too high close to the beach and the sea tends to be flat.
Ryan starts with a lesson from explaining the board, correct use of the paddle, paddling technique, how to mount the board and to stand. He also demonstrates what to do if you get into trouble or if the wind gets too strong while you are paddling. After this lesson, you are ready to experience SUP in Barbados.
You don't have to worry about anything as Ryan is never too far away while you are paddling. Ryan is sure to give you encouragement as well as tips to make your experience better. He also takes action shots of you paddle boarding which he will send to you. Your first lesson is about an 1.5hrs because of the 30 mins beginner's instructions. I would warn you that you will have such a good time that you will want to go paddle boarding again!

Visited March 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Well worth your time and money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My family and I recently hired Ryan for a SUP lesson. My family were first timer's and I have taken a 10 week surf/SUP course in Toronto, so am a fairly capable on a SUP board.
If you plan to learn to SUP while you are in Barbados, I highly recommend What' SUP Barbados.

I had great instructors in trhe past but I have to say, Ryan was even better! He takes the time to ensure you have a excellent understanding of the sport and all the water safety tips you need to know to enjoy your experience. He is very friendly and fun to learn from and he was able to easily switch between teaching the basics to my family and a few advanced tips to me. Even if you are a little nervous about water sports like SUP, Ryan will not only teach you well, he will help to build your confidence.

Also if you go, bring a water camera and ask Ryan to show you some of his advanced SUP Yoga moves, you will be very impressed.

Visited February 2014
Vancouver, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“Sunset Paddleboard Tour is a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

It doesn't get much better than paddling on the water as the sun is setting and the moon is rising. Ryan runs an operation that is laid back, flexible and entertaining. We headed out on the water just as the sun was setting. As the moon was rising we made a stop at a beach bar along the west coast for a refreshment break with a lesson about sea turtles, tips on places around the island to visit and some swapping of tales. We then set out on the water again with the full moon, stars and our glow sticks lighting up the night for some more exploration of the west coast on our trip back and the completion of our 2.5hr sunset paddle.

What' SUP Barbados offers everything from a beginner lessons to adventure tours at very reasonable prices. Our sunset paddle tour was $20USD which was a great deal compared to the $20USD that many beachside rental outfits will charge for just a 1hr rental. The equipment is all in excellent condition and Ryan provided transportation for the equipment to and from our meeting point.

Check these guys out and have fun!

Visited February 2014
Newmarket, Canada
“A must do! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Was referred by a local of the island, and I took part in a sunset/moon light paddle board. The instructors were very friendly and supportive towards the weak paddle boarders (ie me). It was an amazing way to adventure up and down the coast, while it was a peaceful and soothing experience. The instructors were very friendly and talkative, that made me wish the session lasted a lot longer.
No matter how experience/inexperienced you are to this activity, this adventure is by far a must do. Easily the best part of my vacation.

Edmonton, Canada
10 attraction reviews
“Such a fun time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Jason is a great guy first of all: chill,easy going, down to earth....talked Barbados history and politics waiting for a couple of others to arrive. Real cool. Anyhow we got about 10min safety and procedure on how to stand up paddle on the beach,and off we went. I only fell once the entire time,as I did not keep my head up! (A big key)We left pebbles beach,going along the shore to browns beach. We stopped midway where Jason gave us snorkel masks,and we were able to swim with turtles. So fun! A quick pit stop at browns beach,where we got a power tip instruction(as we were now going to paddle against the current)to head back to pebbles. The tip worked great,we had no problems vs. the current,about 3km paddled total trip,taking around 1.5hrs. Very enjoyable!

Visited December 2013