“Two Good Meals” 4 of 5 stars

Description: phone 246-422-9427
Orlando, FL
“Two Good Meals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We have been twice to Barbados on cruises and both of the shore excursions stopped at this friendly, laid-back restaurant. My fried flying fish was very good (again) and my wife's baked chicken with bajan seasonings was also to her liking. Accompanying these were peas and rice; potato salad; small green salad and mack and cheese. Banks beer was made for this type of meal. Service was friendly. You can eat indoors or out. Not air conditioned, but a nice breeze outside on picnic-style tables. Definitely not fancy or with great views, but one of those kind of places that makes you feel happy a la Jimmy Buffett. Their business card shows that they are on the Ermy Bourne Hwy, East Coast Road in St. Andrew's. Telephone: (246) 422-9427.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful Service and Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We asked the driver to take us somewhere authentic for a good lunch. When we pulled up to the Sand Dunes we were not sure what we were going to get especially for our 8yr old son... We had such a great meal... My son and I had baked chicken (the best ever) rice and beans and potato salad. My son had fries with his. My husband had the Mahi Mahi, rice and beans and potato salad... It was such a wonderful meal. I wanted to get the recipe for the potato salad but I forgot to ask once ewe had left. Many local came in to get their lunches as well, but there were also tourists. Our server was so kind and explained to us what Pudding and Souse was as it was the special of the day.... We had never heard of it.. Once we left we wished we had ordered the macaroni pie but can't imagine it was better than the excellent food we had...

The beer and wine were ice cold and our son enjoyed a cup of wonderful chocolate ice cream for dessert...

We will make a point of coming back to the Sand Dunes on our next trip!!!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
trinidad
“A real tasty meal, Bajan Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

i stopped off at this restaurant on Friday 30th March and had a delicious lunch with my wife.
I ordered Griiled Dolphin, peas, rice and macaroni pie and my wife ordered Stewed beef, peas and rice with macaroni.
it was so good we returned the next day for another lunch.
I tried the flying fish which was just as good as the dolphin.
a lot of tourists stop off here.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We liked the location and the open patio but fish was a bit poor. Service was friendly. Not the best macaroni pie we've had on the island. Still a decent place to stop for lunch when you are travelling thru the area.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Olympia, Washington
“Enjoyable lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Wandering off our cruise ship, my wife and I opted to share a taxi tour of Barbados to Harrison Caves and points on the island with two women from Washington DC off a different ship. An excellent choice as it turned out.

At lunch time our guide Keith delivered us to Sand Dunes, a rural, local spot near Bathsheba with a few picnic tables under a canvas cover, and a small bar and maybe half a dozen tables inside. He didn’t ask what we were looking for, he just drove over a curb and parked alongside the half dozen cars in the parking “field.” Sand Dunes is the kind of scruffy, local spot I would have eagerly chosen when I was a third world drifter traveling alone, but based on appearances I may have hesitated to bring my wife into.

Not to worry. The place was warm and friendly, the food was local and tasty, and the bill was reasonable.

If you travel to enjoy local experiences and relaxed local style, I strongly recommend Sand Dunes. Gourmet it ain’t, but near as I could tell it is good, authentic island food, and it was a for sure it was a nice dining experience. A significant percentage of the other diners seemed to be local families out for the week end.

I wouldn’t drive across the island to eat there, but if I were in the area I’d choose it.

• Visited December 2011