“Business hotel clean and with great facilities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Bridgetown

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Bridgetown to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Bridgetown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Garrison Historic Area, Hastings | Christ Church, Bridgetown BB15156, Barbados   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Bridgetown
Surrey, United Kingdom
“Business hotel clean and with great facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is not your typical Caribbean establishment. The building is very new and the rooms are spacious and modern. I've stayed in many hotels in the Caribbean and this place is very different, it felt more like something in New York.

Positives: Clean and Spacious. Good gym with modern facilities. Great room service menu and a nice cafe in the lobby. Wifi in all areas of the hotel and free in the lobby with a business centre. 15 minute walk into the capital Bridgetown. Lovely balcony with swimming pool and plenty of sunbathing space. Efficient and friendly staff.

Negatives: No beach directly outside the hotel. A 2 minute walk does get you to the beach but it's not the best in the area. Doesn't feel like the Caribbean, and it's not a holiday makers place, but great for business guests.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has the gym and pool so it's a busier floor!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My usual Barbados hotel, the Hilton, was full/expensive for this stay so for the first time I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott. It’s no Hilton, although arguably the price difference reflects that. Maybe, maybe not.

Check-in was fine. Front desk staff were pleasant and professional.

Room was modern and clean. Adequate cupboard and drawer space. Decent TV and channels.

The room is not bad for business purposes. Desk is a bit small. Chair is height-adjustable and OK. Two phones – one on the desk; one bedside; neither with speaker phone capability; no cordless phone; desk phone didn’t move more than a foot. No wi-fi in room; network cable only, and it barely reached far enough for me to work comfortably on my laptop. Service was free, fast and reliable. Wi-fi available free in the lobby and restaurant but service was slow when I tried it (at a somewhat busy time, admittedly).

Bed was comfortable; linens fine. Bathroom was OK; shower was good; towels are cheap and thin, and toilet paper was crunchy.

As others have noted, in-room air conditioner is loud. I was able to sleep comfortably with it off, fortunately.

My third-floor room had a balcony which looked out onto the parking lot and the main road (Highway 7), with no good view of anything. Not a big deal for me on a business trip, but might be important for you.

Very small restaurant in the lobby, which wasn’t bad, but nothing special. Not full-service… you order at the cash and they bring items to your table; or you get something to go. No room service in the hotel.

A day and a half before checkout I asked for late check-out, even half an hour. Was promised that someone would call my room that day and leave a message. By 9pm, no message. I called to ask; they said no. I understand that the hotel was at capacity, and that late check-out is discretionary, but excellent hotels can manage a half-hour.

Getting ready for checkout, I wanted to move my co-worker’s room charges onto my credit card (same card as on my room). Was told on the phone by front desk they needed an(other) imprint of my card; went down to front desk; then was told I had to fill out a long form, including info they already had from when I checked in. I asked whether there was an alternative; after some discussion was told that as long as my co-worker said OK, they’d do it. Found my co-worker 2 minutes later and brought him to the front desk. Several more minutes, another imprint of my card, lots of mouse clicks etc. on their computer, then we were told OK. All in all, three different answers from three different people. Other hotels I’ve been in can simply transfer the charges from one room to another.

Overall, an adequate business hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
CY_Bridgetown_GM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Bridgetown, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing our property for your most recent stay in Barbados and thank you for your feedback. I have noted your dissatisfaction with the process it took for you to confirm payment for your colleague and I will follow up that the necessary training is completed with my team to ensure that we are better able to handle similar requests in the future.

With reference to the guest room wifi, we do have this feature available in all of our guest rooms along with the network cable as another option. I would appreciate it if you can email me offline your room number at cy.bgicy.reservations@marriott.com so that I can check to see if we had an issue with the wifi in the room which you occupied.

Warm Regards
Kelly-Ann Mayers
New York Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

While I frequently go to Barbados on business and my wife prefers to be on the beach while I work, the Coconut Court Hotel (across the street) was inflexible in allowing less than a 5 night minimum stay.
As a result, we booked here and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of rooms and service ... except for housekeeping. On our arrival day, nothing was available at 4 PM due to housekeeping running behind! We said we would take any room available and did get a backyard facing room at 4:30 PM. The next day, the room was cleaned by 10AM but on the following day, it was untouched at 3:30 PM and we left the "Do Not Disturb" sign for that day and the next.
The rest of the staff was wonderfull......
We secured a Senior/Shopper rate which included breakfast so I can't complain about that and we did spend a lot of time at the Coconut Court Beach bar with 2 Happy Hours (Noon - 1PM and 5PM to 6 PM). The Blue Room next door has a 6-7PM happy hour.
Mama Mia's has good Italian Food and you can take the ZR11 vans to Oistens for good fish or chicken any night..... Fridays are crazy.
I would return again.

Room Tip: Front rooms have balconies.... back rooms do not.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

In Bridgetown for a few days between cruise and home flight? - this site in Hastings Beach worked well for us. It is essentially a business hotel, and not a tourist-stay site; it provides all the usual Marriott IT services, and we found the (air con) bedroom comfortable with efficient and spotless bathroom. However there is no hotel or local information on offer in the rooms - beyond emergency instructions, books of fancy restaurants miles away, and the books of Gideon and Mormon! In fact the Garrison historic area is a short walk back towards town - less than 10 minutes to the Museum via Harts Gap road. The coral sand beach is down the path opposite - other reviewers provide more information about facilities using the Coconut Court (we were not offered information that this was a joint use operation).
A stay excludes all meals : there is a fast-food american-type TGI place in the courtyard, with "finger-lickin' good" menu. Much better dinners are no problem - Blakeys, Fred's and Tapas are just down the road towards or at the Boardwalk, or Mama Mia's and hotels are even closer on the town side. Breakfast in the hotel is a let down - because the on-site counter is catering expensively for business people in a rush. The true range of choice is not even clear for the casual tourist user, and before you know it you have spent £25 for two - the huge cup of 'Oatmeal' or the muesli are the only good value. There needs to be an all-in offer of a Continental breakfast equivalent. It all happens in the ground floor lobby area, which is far too cool compared with outside. If you have acclimatised to the West Indies on a holiday already, you will want to leave and do things!
All the staff are very nice and helpful to tourists passing through. Be aware that the taxi price from the main door to the airport is unregulated, and with a 'cut' to the hotel will cost as much as from the cruise harbour (BD$45) although it is a one-third shorter journey.
However, all in all, a convenient location.

Room Tip: Access to the pool is from the first floor - but it is tiny. All the main block is set back from th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Montclair new Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott for 2 nights before boarding sailing cruise to the Grenadines. We have stayed at Marriott hotels for years with excellent service and amenities, but sadly this was not a good experience. The room was spacious and clean, but the bed was hard. Other Marriott's we have stayed at (even Fairfield Inn or Springfield Suites), have had pillow top beds and and rather sumptuous towels. The towels were threadbare. The breakfast was all a la carte and very limited. All other Marriott places we have stayed at usually have a delightful breakfast buffet. And the service at the breakfast was really bad. The staff seemed to be doing you a favor by toasting your bagel! Additionally they had no decaf coffee. I will continue to patronize Marriott run hotels but will never return to this one, unfortunately. Oh yes, the room was very quiet, but that is probaly because the hotel was practically empty.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CY_Bridgetown_GM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Bridgetown, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was truly disappointed to know that we did not deliver the level of service to which you are accustomed with Marriott.

I have shared your feedback with my entire team and we are already looking at ways that we can improve. We are working on ensuring that we only have good quality towels in circulation and decaf coffee consistently available for our guests.

We have some guests who prefer a firm bed and for our guests who prefer a softer bed we have feather mattresses available on request. We will do a better job of communicating this to our guests in the future.

I have also noted your comments about the food and beverage service and although we do not provide a breakfast buffet, we do have a number of options ranging from fast and fresh to pan and griddle items. I would welcome feedback on some other options that you would prefer to see as well specific feedback on the service.

We are constantly looking for ways to improve and it is through comments like yours that we are able to identify our performance gaps and find ways to deliver the exceptional service that I know we are capable of providing.

Kelly-Ann Mayers
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was our first stay at this hotel during the holiday season. We would usually stay across the road on the beach at Coconut Court beach hotel but they were full so this was our 2nd option. We were happy to give the Marriott Courtyard a try and we were not disappointed by our stay.

It is really a business hotel and typical of the Courtyard brand worldwide. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. We were assigned a room on the 4th floor overlooking the pool deck. Even though the bathroom was huge with whirlpool tub and nicely designed with jalousie shutters opening into the sleeping area we felt abit claustrophobic without a window that could open.

We requested a room change on the day we arrived and 24 hours later, we were moved to a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony overlooking the rear car park (main entrance). Even though we didn’t have the whirlpool tub and the bedroom was smaller, the additional balcony space to sit out for our morning coffee and observe the passing wildlife was greatly preferred and enjoyed.

Easy access to the beach thru the dedicated gate or via Coconut Court (which is better as you come out directly by the stack of beach chairs and bar). Go early though (before 10am) to ensure you get your lounger as they go fast and are in limited supply as they serve both hotels. The Marriott beach towels are tiny so it may be worth packing a large thin towel in your suitcase if you have the space or pick up one as a souvenir to use during your visit.

The breakfast options are adequate. The ham & cheese croissants were delicious! The breakfast potatoes that come with several items are nicely done and should be available for purchase on their own. The ‘Caribbean delight’ however was rather disappointing. We felt that there should have been more local options available and perhaps displayed more prominently on the board or advertised to entice visitors to sample the local fare.

We’d like to recommend to the hotel that they offer a buffet breakfast with local and holiday food at least 1 or 2 days during the Christmas season for abit of a change from the standard menu and to create a lasting memory for guests who choose to spend this special time of year away from their own homes.

The Centro’s staff efficiency really wowed us with the fastest breakfast service ever! My husband’s only peeve with the bar area was that there was no draft Banks beer in spite of there being a tap.

The lobby lounge is very relaxing and tastefully decorated. The business centre (boarding pass kiosk) is simple but nicely done. The computers were super-fast and reliable so if you only need to check in with the office a few times each day, you can feel confident to leave your laptop at home.

Our only complaint with the lobby is that it was truly cold and we heard this same sentiment from several other guests during our stay. It became freezing as the afternoon turned into evening. It did not make you feel as though you wanted to stay in the lobby area to dine or imbibe. Hence, the exterior patio was always filled during the evening.

We must make mention that the elevators were the fastest and most efficient we’ve ever experienced in our travels.

Thanks to the front office especially Sonja, Vernita and Deidre, for all your help in dealing with our various requests! Our only advice would be that the hospitality school trainees wear badges that state they are ‘trainees’ & name tags in a different colour as when you approach them and ask for assistance they either say nothing to you and look over at the next person who may be dealing with a guest (and you stand there wondering if they heard you or if they work there!). The trainees themselves said nothing about their employment status or inability to assist guests so I wonder how many people assume that the front office staff are just rude, or incapable without realizing they are newbies in training. So the hotel should pay attention to this and make sure they are truly ‘shadowing’ and not left to stand at a desk on their own.

Hotel is perfectly situated for meals at Fred's, TGI's & Mama Mia just next door. Beyond that, lots of restaurants within walking distance or short taxi ride away. If looking for a special lunch on Sunday, then try Coconut Court's buffet!

It was nice having the swimming pool though at 3-1/2 feet, it was really too shallow to swim in! We did however love soaking under the full moon and nighttime sky!

A unique experience for us was seeing the green monkeys running around the carpark, climbing the big tree and running along the back wall in ‘crocodile file’. We loved being awakened each morning to the roosters in the surrounding yards! And loved best of all that sweet horse in the back lot named Queenie! We enjoyed sneaking her some brown sugar packets in the morning at the wall!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Courtyard Marriott Bridgetown and thank you for the fond memories of holiday visit to Barbados! We’ll be back to stay again!

Room Tip: Try for a room with a balcony on the south side facing the main road where you can just about glimps...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

First of all- if you want a resort hotel that has it all- do not stay here....we stayed for five days - the service is superb! The staff were incredibly nice, they couldn't do enough for you...room was perfectly clean- a/c was loud but not a real problem, and it worked well....we had a nice balcony room on fourth floor with view of ocean...pool and pool deck were rarely ever crowded- typically not more than 3-4 people- it is a long lap pool....the beach is across the street and they have chaises available, if you walk down about 100 yds. there is a newly built boardwalk that has great scenic views and leads to other beaches (all beaches in Barbados are public) and some nice restaurants, and then Accra beach....the food at hotel, although not a fancy restaurant, was very good- for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks, coffee bar and reg. bar there as well...in summary- very relaxing place, with the nicest staff, and good location as well....

Room Tip: rooms with balcony face ocean, but not on 2nd floor or you'll be right next to pool/deck- unless...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Bridgetown? Share your experiences!