“Amazing Holiday! Thanks to Island Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island Inn Hotel

You added Island Inn Hotel to your Saves list
Island Inn Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aquatic Gap, Garrison Historic Area | St Michael, Bridgetown, Barbados   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bridgetown
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Holiday! Thanks to Island Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was my first stay at Island Inn after numerous visits to Barbados. First impressions on arrival of the hotel was - "Oh wow..I couldn't have paid the right price - This hotel looks like it should cost me more".

I arrived early for check-in, the staff were very accommodating and quickly ushered me to place my luggage in a safe place and tuck in to the lovely lunch on offer, nicely washed down with their signature rum punch. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought they were expecting me to arrive at this time.

There was a wedding party staying at the hotel when I arrived, so the hotel was functioning at capacity...the service provided and the attention to detail was not affected by this, as far as I could see. The staff were even more on-point. The hotel has a flourishing mango tree in its garden area, the staff were so lovely, they'll often pick the fruit and offer to the hotel guests...many of the fruits I'm sure made their way to London (I know..very naughty!!)

Not only was my stay in the hotel great, the hotel is in a great location....There is a lovely beach 2 mins (literally) away. Local transport links are also 2 mins walk from the hotel reception, with direct routes to the main tourist attractions (Bridgetown, Rockley Beach, Harbour Lights, Oystins)

Some mornings I'd wake early (6 - 6:30am) to see the local horses get their morning bath in the sea...a great photo opportunity for those who can appreciate the beauty of horses.

All in all...Island Inn is a superb hotel. The staff and facilities offered will only contribute to you having a wonderful holiday in Barbados... Would I stay here again? YES YES YES!!!!

Room Tip: Garden rooms are very quiet as there is no foot traffic, only guests staying in this part of the hot...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Rexton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My sister and I spent 2 weeks (April 6-19,2013 ) At the Island Inn. We found the staff to be most friendly and helpful. All neccessities were close at hand. Reservations for taxis or shuttles were quickly made. A short walk to a great beach-no steps. The food was delicious and well prepared.If there was something else you wanted you had only to ask.I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a quiet getaway.A wedding took place while we were there . To our surprise all other guests were included in the festiveties and reception.It was great! We found the cleanliness and service to be great. I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Our first night was spent in a very noisy room because of an air on defect. The manager (Tora/Thora, a lovely lady) had the repair man out the following day and when the problem persisted she got him out again - 9pm on a Saturday evening. From then on our two week stay was almost perfection. Food is excellent, service excellent and the staff generally, even down to the handymen are so lovely and friendly.

You have guessed there is a BUT coming!

We stayed in room 11 and my warning to anyone allocated this room is forget any thoughts of sleeping late. You WILL be woken up every morning between 5 and 6 am by hotel staff repeatedly clashing the door of some kind of hotel store room/staff room which is built on to the rear of room 11. This occurred every morning and throughout the day when we returned to our room to change.

As I have said already this hotel is ideally suited to those wanting a relaxing holiday in lovely location.

Be Warned: you will NOT be told by travel reps or hotel staff but muggings (including shootings while we were there) are common place. DO NOT walk the streets or beaches wearing jewellery, be wary of carrying a handbag and if you are accosted DO NOT resist - you risk being seriously hurt! Let the thief have what he wants, the consequences of resisting do not bare thinking of!!!

Room Tip: The rooms around the garden and pool are lovely and very quite. Do not accept room 11 if alternative...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

To be fair for what we thought was perfection until our last evening , I will concentrate on the positives and leave my proviso until the end.
This was a perfect holiday for 12 of the 13 nights we stayed a the Island Inn. The food was amazing and unusual in that it was a waitress served ' all inclusive ' menu. The welcome was amazing and we were ' in heaven' , planning to return and looking at rebooking for next year whilst we were still there. Most of the visitors whilst we were there were return customers and mostly made up of more mature or retired couples.
There was a very quiet and reserved atmosphere which I understand is the usual demeanour for the hotel and clientele. All guests socialised in the communal areas and retired in silence to bed. It was idyllic- not everyone's cup of tea but exactly what we were looking for and it seemed that all the guests were like minded and had done a lot of research before choosing this intimate boutique hotel.
Our accommodation - a junior suite - was lovely and, like everything else, beyond our expectations. We were still at the hotel when the large group of people arrived and it was our last night in Barbados.
I cannot speak for what happened after that evening as we left in the early hours of the following morning but Michelle P did complain to the manageress who had come back into the hotel in civvies that evening and it is absolutely true the manageress ( a thoroughly lovely woman) did say to give it 24 hrs. We were initially horrified as the party descended noisily into the pool after it was closed and for such a small place it seemed like it was overwhelming. They got out within half an hour and at dinner seemed nice people. One really nice young lad set about collecting used glasses and returning them to the lovely Mr Earl , our barman.
The issues are not really the fault of ANY of the visitors .
We all paid a lot of money but had different expectations. We wanted peace and quiet and indeed had tranquility for nearly two weeks but I quite accept that this isn't what would be ideal for the wedding party who, by sheer force of numbers and familiarity ( being family) would affect the dynamics of the hotel guests without intending to.
Unfortunately a large sociable number of even the nicest people would make peace and quiet difficult with the way the hotel is configured . Our room was within three strides of the pool and socialising that is very reasonable for the family group who had paid good money the same as us, was really really noisy for us when we were in our room. They were having fun but it was literally on our doorstep and close enough to hear all their conversations.
My tempered view is that this hotel is superb and the holiday was a true holiday of a lifetime but I would never stay at the hotel if there was a large party of any description already booked in. This small hotel would tread the tightrope to be all things to all guests with difficulty just because of the smallness of it and how close the rooms are to the social areas of the very small pool and courtyard. The wedding party had a right to the holiday they wanted and so did we, so all you would need to know when you booked was that there was a large wedding party booked in at the same time - I think this would or should be mandatory for the management to tell you this.
I would love to get married in Barbados at the Island Inn and it would be my right to book it for my friends and family . It is up to the management to foresee that this could be problematic for others guests who should be informed that this is the case. You are then putting everyone in a position to make an informed choice.
Debbie and Chris

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

There has been a lot of controversy over this hotel in recent reviews. We would just like to say that as current guests of this hotel we agree with all the comments made by careline. Future potential guests should not be put off by spurious and over exaggerated reviews. If you enjoy quiet relaxing holidays then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed April 2013
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have been several times to this hotel and each time we experience a welcome that makes us want to come back so many more times. We were here two years ago and the staff and service are still as good as ever,food good, rooms very clean,and staff a joy. The hotel was nearly full as a large family group had come for a holiday prior to a wedding and the hotel accomodated them extremely well given the diferent age groups in the party. Having read the previous review I can say that we were not inconvenienced in any way and some of the the family though initally loud when they arrived settled down and were polite and courteous at all times.

Do not be put off by the previous review, go and enjoy the experience that only the island inn can give you.

If you have any questions please contact me .

Room Tip: I stayed in a standard room with a garden view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This posting should be seen as a new review of the hotel but should also serve as a direct response to the review below by Michelle P. I am currently a guest of this wonderful hotel in Barbados as well as a member of the previously described wedding party.

The hotel is a beautiful complex consisting of small bungalow style housing with open courtyard and beautiful pool and natural vistas. The decor is in keeping with a modern setting but does not detract from the natural beauty of the surroundings. The rooms are clean and well maintained and resourced; the staff are all friendly and extremely helpful to all guests, (this is my first time in the Caribbean and not a frequent visitor to these islands). The food is far above average and the concept of all-inclusive really means just that: food and refreshments run constantly throughout the day from what must be an expansive kitchen.

I have already requested quotes for a return trip with my girlfriend next year and would promote this hotel to anybody travelling to this wonderful island.

The nature and tone of the previous posting has been exaggerated beyond any understand, and was clearly written to emote a response. I am a member of a group of 23 staying at the hotel, most of whom are part of one family with close ties and relationships to one another. We arrived on Thursday evening and are staying until this coming Saturday, (therefore I am unsure how Miss P. was able to complain within 1 hour of our arrival). All parties within this group, aged from an extremely quiet 1 year old and an 87 year old grandmother have been incredibly courteous and well mannered, not only conforming to the ethos and policies of the hotel but also the needs of other guests.

The hotel runs a no smoking policy in all internal communal areas, rightfully so. However, the outer courtyard and individuals room verandas all have ash trays where smoking is permitted. At no point have cigarettes been inhaled in prohibited areas but I, as a smoker, will ensure that all smoke travels in the correct direction away from adjacent rooms...

All members of the group, as well as all other patrons of the hotel are on the island to celebrate: celebrating either a wedding, celebrating time away from work or simply the possibility of being able to visit this wonderful island. Emotions are relaxed and happiness is on the up. If there have been any situations where current guests feel that our stay has been detrimental to their own I would insist that they come to talk to us, making us aware of the situation as any normal guest or person would. Please feel fee to come and speak to me at dinner this evening. I will be the member of the wedding party wearing a shirt. You may find that difficult seeing as all of us are conforming to the hotel's dinner dress policy!

I am writing this in an effort to ensure that any future guests of this hotel are not detracted from staying at this hotel by a single, negative and frankly unjust review. Five stars all round!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Island Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!