“Great Mix of Locals and Tourists” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$60*
and up
Barbados Beach Day with Boat Trip and Shipwreck...
Ranked #1 of 80 things to do in Bridgetown
Activities: Swimming, Scuba diving
More attraction details
Owner description: This bay is best known for its calm, sheltered waters, perfect for swimming and scuba diving.
United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Mix of Locals and Tourists”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I visited with my children and it was a great mix of local Barbadians and tourists. I met folks from New York, Houston, and Martinique...in one hour! I went later in the afternoon, after 4 o'clock, so I can't say there were chairs and umbrellas for rent. But the sunset was magnificent! With the boats in the far distance, and the gentle, rolling waves, it made for a great family evening.

The sand was like powder, very few rocks (if any). There was parking not far away, and down the road there were tons of restaurants of all price points. The beach is right off the main road headed toward the south coast, so i's easy to find.

I think there are shipwrecks located beneath those waters as well...great for snorkeling, I hear.

Boynton Beach, Florida
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Pink Sands and Lots of Turtles in the Water”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We were on a cruise and saw the beach when we were looking out from the ship. My husband was a runner in college, and I like to walk, so we made the !!! decision to WALK to the beach that we saw. I had figured it was Carlise Bay, based on the maps I had. Well, the map was a bit long. My guess is it is 1.5 miles; about a 25 minute walk to get their because we weren't sure where we were going. There were some taxi drivers haranguing us to give us rides, but when I told them my husband "is a professional runner" they left us alone! As you are walking there, you will eventually look to your right and see a bit of beautiful beach...down an alleyway. You can go in there if you like. It is at one far end of the beach. We, however, were creeped out a bit, and continued walking, until we saw a "Carlisle Bay" sign. Where we entered, I saw the beach club to our right. I think it might be the Boatyard. You pay there for chairs and a taxi ride back. We opted to walk down the beach toward a couple of the hotels. It was not crowded at all because it was still pretty early. As we were walking, it started to rain, sort of a "liquid sunshine" type of rain. Crazily, there was a gazebo just up ahead to our left, so we ran there and hung out with a couple of locals in order to keep dry. They both dodged out of the rain at the same time as us and were very friendly and nice. We visited with them until the rain stopped, and then sought our spot on the beach, which was fairly close to the gazebo. We soon discovered that the various cruise catamaran excursions and other snorkel trips bring their clients to this VERY spot in order to snorkel. My husband and I took turns going out at this area and snorkeling. The water, just past the beach water break, is very, very calm. It was a little murky near the beach itself due to the recent rains. It was very clear beyond that, however. We saw some fish, a couple on the sea floor that were very different. In addition, I saw six or seven good sized turtles swimming in the water. When there are diving groups there, they feed them, but sometimes, the turtles actually will swim AWAY from them, and they kept swimming under me! That is what is so nice about this beach...the turtles and the clear water if you'd like to snorkel. I hear that, if you go out further (a couple next to us are scuba divers) the snorkeling improves even more. There are several boats that come in a out of the area with snorkel groups, so be aware when they are moving. As for the beach itself, the sand is very soft, and has a sort of pretty pink hue to it. We were on the area called "Brown's Beach." There are chairs available for rent, but we always just take our towels, so this trip was a totally free beach day for us...no taxi, no entry fees, no rentals. The area behind this area of beach was rather dumpy looking with ramshackle on the outside homes/shack type places. There were not many people while we were there. A large group of local kids came while we were there on a what appeared to be a day camp outing. They seemed to be having a ball, running races and playing games under the direction of their leaders. There were a couple of men who approached us, selling jewelry, but they were very nice and not at all pushy. One visited with us for a few minutes, even after it was apparent we wouldn't buy anything, and we felt no pressure at all. Once we had spent our time in the sun and water, we took a long walk all the way down the beach to the alley entrance. Due to the rain, there was standing water that we had to skirt, but we made it back to our ship in good time after a very pleasant beach visit.

Setauket, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“The most beautiful beach!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Gorgeous light blue waters and white sand is what you will find at this Barbados beach. Take a boat out to snorkel with the turtles, it is amazing! You can easily find some authentic food at one of the restaurants along this strip of beach along with lounge chairs and umbrellas.

Visited April 2014
Port of Spain, Trinidad
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Marine wreck snorkelling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Of all the places I have snorkelled in Barbados, the wrecks off Carlisle Bay have been a favourite.
So much that I went there three times to photograph marine life and in the last case, to video shoot. There are an abundance of life and species. On the last trip out there, I saw two hawksbill turtles, both tagged a no moss on their backs like they had just been cleaned. The first wreck is a short swim from shore in about 20 ft of water. It's just near a white and blue buoy. The next bigger wreck is in deeper water 30-40 ft and is more recent, as there is less coral growth, but still lots of fish. Typically this is the one the dive operators will take you to for a scuba/wreck dive. There are a total of 6 wrecks in the area.
If you are driving, there is access and parking for free just opposite the Prime Minister's office. Very convenient and a place to rinse off before you leave.

Meriden, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Stayed at radisson on carlisle bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed at the Radisson Aquatica Resort located on carlisle bay. It is picturesque, has calm waters, offers water sports such as kayaking and stand up paddle boarding, and snorkeling at the wrecks not far from shore. We went on a snorkel cruise but still felt that carlisle had better snorkeling! If you go early in the morning you can also see the racehorses swimming and bathing with their trainers. If you go around lunch time you can also go to Cuz's fish shack located near the lifeguard stand for some delicious and cheap fish cutters. We loved staying on Carlisle Bay.