“Simply wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta
“Simply wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

We stayed at the Reefs for my son's "destination wedding" and it was a wonderful experience. Our oceanfront room was a bit smallish, but perfectly appointed, clean,quiet, and with a balcony overlooking the turquoise blue water.
The hotel has a gorgeous private beach, great for swimming, and on the terrace above it, there is an infinity pool and a hot tub.
Everyone on the staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast and dinner are included in the fare, and the food in three restaurants was great -although the codfish my husband chose one day for breakfast was not exactly to our taste. We also had lunch at the Ocean Terrace above the beach (not included, but very reasonably priced) and the Sunday brunch (not included either) is not to be missed.
Some of the wedding guests who made reservations at the Wyndham next door because they could not stay the minimum five days required, said that the Reefs was so much nicer, they would have paid for the five days and stayed less, had they known how much nicer our hotel was.
I highly recommend this hotel. We hope to take the kids back next year to celebrate their first anniversary.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
barrie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2006

First of alll, I hesitate to criticize the Reefs in any way as this website most always is very supportive of this hotel but I'll tell you honestly what our impression of it was. Our trip was not a wedding or a special occassion so I feel we can reflect upon it critically without any sentiment.

The Reefs has a beautiful location. The view from our suite was breathtaking. We could watch the Longtails every morning-a wonderful memory. Also, the view from the deck on the point was breathtaking. We were pleased with our suite-it was very spacious with a private balcony overlooking Coconuts. However, we were travelling with my teen-age son so our daily bill for 3 was over $900.00 American during the month of May.(I can't believe I paid that per day) but it was at peak time and Bermuda is very expensive. We found the walls to be thin in this suite, and I was disappointed in the bed linens and the pull out couch. Also, we could smell the cooking from Coconuts right below us when we sat out on our balcony.

Overall, the staff and personel were very eager to please and they were friendly. We were happy with the service that we got. There is a very nice atmosphere at this hotel and a strong sense of loyalty amongst staff and customers.

We were very pleased with the meals. We enjoyed eating at Grill 56 the most. They have
a wonderful Seafood buffet on Friday night which is excellent and the food is beautifully presented. We thought the location and view at Coconuts was unique but the food wasn't as good as we received at Grill 56 and it is expensive-a hamburger and fries is $12.95. We had thought if we wanted a light lunch since it wasn't included we would go there but we only went once. We went to Cambridge Beaches on the dine-around plan-the food was very good- the lobster I had was exceptional. It was worth the extra I had to pay because it wasn't on the M.A.P. plan. Afternoon Tea at the Reefs was disappointing compared to Waterloo House. There was not a variety of fancy cakes, and often there wasn't even jam for the scones.

The beach was very clean and well looked after.

This is not an easy hotel to get around if you are handicapped. There are some ramps and I'm sure that you could get golf cart assistance if you called and arranged it. We felt though that we were forevever going up and down steps or ramps.

Overall, we were pleased with the Reefs but think perhaps we shall try a less expensive place on our next visit. Possibly a bed and breakfast in Hamilton where we can travel to the beach and eat at a variety of restaurants with more casual food like that which is served at the Swizzle Inn or just have pizza some evenings.

Once again the shopping was great in Hamilton, the Dockyards was interesting as we especially enjoyed watching the Dolphins, the craft market and the glassblowing. We look forward to returning to Bermuda in the near future.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

My husband and I booked the Romance Package at The Reefs and it took our breath away from the moment we arrived. Priya walked us to our room, with chilled champagne waiting, and the view of the azure blue ocean, pink sand and infinity pool was astonishingly beautiful - and was our view every morning sitting up in bed. What a way to greet the day! The service we received from all of the staff was impeccable and we felt more like family than just hotel guests. The dining was also delicious and memorable, especially the romantic dinner for two on the beach in the sand. All of the amenities from the rooms, pool, spa, beach and restaurants were top notch and I feel that now we've been very spoiled and will be hard pressed to find accomodations to equal this in our future travels. The Reefs was beautiful and it made our vacation unforgettable and so very special!

canonsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

This resort made our trip to Bermuda! Service is the key here. The staff was wonderful--look for Wymann and Jason. When we checked in we were walked to our room (with Rum Swizzle in hand). We had a great patio that overlooked the ocean. The room was clean, funishes outdated but fine. The pool is wonderful but small. Regardless we never had a problem finding a chair there. The beach was amazing--you could be in water knee deep and see fish. They provide snorkling gear, and we took advantage of it every day. We choose the plan that included breakfast, tea and dinner. Breakfast was great (but do not wear a beach wrap to breakfast), dinner at Ocean Echo was OK, though Grill 56 was indoors the food was incredible, and you can't beat the view from Coconuts. Spent the extra money and have one meal ON the beach--it was well worth it. You do have to dress "smart casual" for dinner every night. If you want something more casual, swap out a dinner for a lunch coupon and you can grab a casual meal (sushi bar) at the Wyndham next door. Also, make an appointment at the spa--service was VERY good. The resort is perfectly landscaped. There is a bus stop directly outside the hotel and the bus service is very convenient. They also have a computer with internet access in the TV room which was a great plus. This resort was so relaxing, we had a hard time leaving the resort to explore the island!

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2006

We visited the Reefs in late November - around Thanksgiving. It was our first trip to Bermuda and through extensive research (Andrew Harper recommended it as well), it looked like the Reefs is the nicest place on the island. We usually prefer small, romantic, luxury hotels and like to be pampered.

The hotel was in a nice setting overlooking the ocean, but the rooms were average at best. First, we were given the only room available - overlooking the pool. We couldn't open our curtains as the large groups in the hot tub could see in. The room itself was decorated in a 'typical' motel like fashion. We complained, and the next day were moved to an upgraded room which had a nice view of the beach below. That room, as well, was a bit small, and the furniture was quite worn - not luxurious at all. Also, the room was below the bar, so it wasn't quiet and peaceful until the loud bands above us finished up at midnight. Luckily the tv with the satellite cable channels drowned out the noise. The overseas news stations were quite entertaining.

There were ALOT of kids and families. We are a 30-something married couple from NYC w/out children and like to escape to relax. Babies were crawling in the hallways, kids were running around the beach, large family gatherings were going on (we were told the Kennedy's were there). Maybe if we had a family it would be better, but it just wasn't for us.

The beach was pretty, but rather small. I prefer privacy and not to be so close to my neighbors beach chair. The pool was circa 1970. Not inviting at all. The Reefs also has a spa, which was fully booked - therefore, we never experienced any treatments. The gift shop was pricey, but sold some attractive items - such as La Perla garments.

The Food: The Reefs provided tasty fare - we really ate too much. Dinner was 4 courses if I remember correctly. Also, it was included in our rate, which was an extra plus. We engaged the waitstaff in friendly banter and enjoyed them. One kind waiter brought me special desserts that were not on the menu. They had a nice afternoon tea set-up with yummy cookies. We also had dinner at Cambridge Beaches (which was included in our meal plan) one night and loved it.

The location of the hotel was quite good. We hopped on the bus and toured the island daily, which was fun. The zoo was lovely, the Swizzle Inn was great for a drink, shopping in Hamilton was nice (as no cruise ships were docked when we were there). There was not much to buy, but designer goods were priced less than NY. I'm not sure if it's the island and it's 'British-ness', but there was that "old" English feeling in the establishments. It is not a sexy island at all - perhaps a bit staid.

All in all, the Reefs was ok. I would rate it a 3 star hotel in terms of appearance. I think the ratings are really high because they have guests who return year after year ~ they probably overlook the imperfections.

• Stayed November 2005
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

We returned to Bermuda for our 20th Anniversary after honeymooning here so long ago. The Reefs was the perfect place to stay. Stunning views - every room faces the ocean. Not so with Cambridge Beaches which was another place which we considered. Beautiful horizon pool, private beach, very friendly staff! I was looking for a smaller hotel and this one was just the right size. Three restaurants on site and the food was good - not outstanding, but good. The after-dinner crowd took over the lounge in the evenings to listen to a different entertainment group every evening. There is a bus stop on the road at the entrance to the hotel for affordable transportation anywhere on the island. The buses are clean and safe and regularly used by tourists and locals alike. There is also a moped place convienient to the hotel for rentals. After coming back to Bermuda and experiencing the charm of the island, I will not bother to waste money going to any of the other Caribbean Islands. Bermuda is clean and safe and georgous!!

• Stayed May 2006
East Greenwich, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2006

This is absolutely a wonderful place. My husband and I spent five days there and couldn't have asked for a more beautiful first trip away from our children. I completely agree with the last posting but would beg to differ from the prior posting. Depending on which room they stayed in some rooms have been updated and the rest will be updated. They are planning on closing the hotel to do some refurbishment of the areas the other review pointed out. And even those areas were in need of updating but they were not dirty or torn. We stayed in the Horizon Suites which have been updated and they are very nice but not opulent. They are of simple style but much detail was spent in the variety of lighting in the room. The view was incredible. The hotel is very charming and we felt the staff was very attentive. By the end of the trip they know you - I always ordered tea in the morning and by the end of trip I didn't even need to ask for it. The resort is very quiet and not many children are present (at least in May). I don't know why you would complain about a 2 hour dinner. My husband and I loved the fact we could just sit there and enjoy our wine and the views with dinner. The food was also wonderful. Anyone that had been there in the past and complained will find that the Reefs has a new chef (six months ago). I would have to say though that this hotel is not for everyone. My husband and I enjoyed the peace and quiet and the tranquility. We came home quite relaxed. If you are looking for something more than this would not be the place to stay. The hotel has something like an 80% return rate with some folks returning year after year! We can tell you that we will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2006

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!