“Classic Resort - Fantastic Views - Caring Staff” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   56 South Shore Rd., SN 02, Bermuda   |
Special Offer
Free Nights at The Reefs
Indianapolis
“Classic Resort - Fantastic Views - Caring Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The Reefs was recommended to us by friends who had stayed there twice. They accurately characterized it by saying that it was like staying in a large, privately owned home. For travelers who are expecting Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton rooms and amenities, you will be underwhelmed. However, if you understand that the rooms are nicely furnished, clean, modest in size and have spectacular views, you will enjoy yourself. When you visit The Reefs, built in 1947, you can observe that it cannot expand or enlarge its rooms due to the constraints of the point that extends into the ocean, so they have done their best by updating the bathrooms and furnishings to current upscale hotel standards. We chose the MAP which provided breakfast and dinner daily and felt that it was a very good value. The variety, quality and presentation of the breakfast and dinner entrees was exceptional. Service at the beach was outstanding and the beach itself was spotlessly clean. My wife availed herself of the Spa which she found to be a beautiful and relaxing experience. The transfers by taxi to the airport were on time and the drivers were great gentlemen. So, like radio77's review, are there some inconsistencies in the quality of service and attention to detail? Yes. Our overall experience with staff ranged from outstanding (Thank you Christina, Michelle, Stephanie, Edwina, Winfield - best dressed man in Bermuda - Usseff, Clarkston and Roydell,) to fair, to indifferent. Bar service in the main bar was spotty and terrace and beach furniture are in need of updating. Room floors needed to be mopped daily. It would also be nice to provide golf cart service to guests staying at the far end of the cliffside rooms and suites. It's a long steep climb to the resort's restaurants and public rooms in high heat and humidity.

Here's a comparison to consider: We spent 5 nights in a cliffside room with two meals a day for two people, airport transfers, tax and gratuity for $3,100. A simlilar stay at the Four Seasons Nevis which we visited a few years ago cost $4,000, did not include any food, had a very small beach, and views that can't possibly compete with The Reefs.

In summary, especially if you haven't visited Bermuda, I can't imagine a more beautiful setting. If you can justify the expense of one of the Club condos, good for you. If not, the Cliffside rooms are your best choice. Enjoy those Dark and Stormys!

Room Tip: Room 348 is the last cliffside room room on the top floor and has an archway cut into the outside wa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

665 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I really expected more from this place. I booked it for a very special occasion - a surprise trip and second honeymoon for my husband. We first stayed at Fairmont in Hamilton over the weekend, and then switched on Sunday to the Reefs to experience the south shore.

The mediocrity started at check in. We came on time, and were surprised to find our room wasn't ready. There was no bellman to take our bags; instead the lady at the front desk just said, "You can just leave them here." So our bags just sat there in the lobby. Meanwhile they told us to go hang out at Coconuts, their restaurant overlooking the beach. The menu at that time of the day was extremely limited. It's a cute area with a great view, but had no ambience, vinyl picnic covers on the tables, etc. So we had an overpriced burger and drinks and went back to finally get into our room - a cliffside room on the top floor. The room was lovely.

The first night we stayed there, our AC turned off in the middle of the night. I woke up sweating around 4 a.m. and called the front desk. She said "We won't have a maintenance guy here till 6:00". At that point I went to the bathroom and ran into a huge cockroach! Called the front desk again and basically made her come and take care of this, and she was able to reset the AC also.

They have these events at the hotel in the evenings, but don't tell you about it till the day of - they left a note on our bed, but we were out all day at the beaches, etc, and never found out about the events till too late.

Breakfasts were delicious! Fantastic! But not enough dining options for dinners. Their main restaurant only had like 3 available entrees. We ate elsewhere for all of our dinners.

Checkout day, we called for a bellman. None came. We waited about 30 minutes. Seeing no one, we hauled our bags down the stairs ourselves and started walking up the hill. Then we ran into someone with a golf cart who gave us a ride, thankfully.

I would say overall, the room was great but the service was incredibly disappointing (and downright lazy, at times) for a place that considers themselves to be a luxury resort. I cannot even express how disappointed I was, considering that I really wanted this to be a very special stay for us, for what was a big occasion. The Reefs really fell short, considering the price you pay. I know Bermuda is expensive, but this place did not deliver. I would say go for the view, but don't expect much from the service.

We may consider Elbow Beach Resort next time - the prices are much more, I'm not sure how the rooms are, but it's closer to town and also has many more restaurant options. We also really enjoyed staying in Hamilton.

Room Tip: Cliffside rooms were great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. My niece was married here Friday, September 13, 2013 and all I have to say is, you can't get any better than this for a destination wedding.

Sight unseen, my niece did all the work through here wedding planner, Kathleen who also was amazing. The wedding outside at Casos point was breathtaking and the reception at Coconuts was unbelievable. Everything was perfect!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

As a surprise for my 60th birthday, my husband took me to The Reefs, where we stayed four night in a cliff side room. Picture perfect would describe our room and view. The hotel staff were warm and friendly. Bermuda is an expensive island, but we found everyone on the island to be friendly, helpful and charming. And a big plus is that the island is very CLEAN, especially compared with other island vacations we have expenienced. Would I return to The Reefs? Absolutely, but we've have to replenish our vacation fund first.

Room Tip: We had a cliff side room, which we loved. The location was away from restaurant noise. It did mean...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Celebrated our honeymoon and would definitely go back again. Beautiful view from our ocean front junior suite. Excellent beach with beautiful sand. Service on beach was excellent and the drinks were nice and strong. Needed more snorkel equipment as they always would run out. Many fish were seen at the rocks not far from the shore. The food was good but I felt that we had some better meals offsite. Bed was not a legitimate King bed but two twin beds pushed together. Pillows were uncomfortable and hard. Adjacent room noise could be heard. The infinity pool was pretty but small for the size of the facility. No servers to serve food or cocktails at poolside. Limited seating by the pool. A lot of stairs as The Reefs are situated on a cliff. No elevators. Front desk personnel was limited but overall everyone was nice and pleasant. From what we heard, this is the nicest resort on the island and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Reefs earlier this summer for 5 nights. My wife and I and our 2 twenty something daughters in a separate room. Beach is great. Service and access to water sports (eg paddle boarding) are very good. Waiters are attentive and towels abundant. Only quibble here is the lounge chairs are not the best quality. The food at the resort is quite good (but I would not recommend a meal plan as it is definitely worth trying other restaurants on the island). The cliffside suites we stayed in were both well appointed and had nice views. However...the pool is small and fills up. The few chairs are usually taken with towels so if you want some time off of the beach in the pool/hot tub, you have to get lucky or make it your last stop of the day on the way back to your room. The service at the front desk is marginal. Hurried and only quasi helpful. Not going the extra mile to make you feel like you are in a top resort like most Four Seasons, for example. Overall I would recommend The Reefs as a very good resort and probably one of the best in Bermuda. It is just not top notch elite compared to other hotels in its price class.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a wonderful property with an incredible private beach. A wonderful place to stay on the island. On the private beach there are amenities, such as chairs and unbrellas (which were always available), and wait staff to deliver lunch and/or drinks to the beach. All of the restaurants at The Reefs serve excellent food and the waitstaff are all friendly and knowledgeable. We had no problems checking in or out, as others have described, and the resort was at full occupancy. When you do check out, if you have a later flight, there are showers and changing rooms by the beach so you can continue to enjoy an afternoon at the beach before you head to the airport. My only criticism is the bathroom in our room is in need of an update (I read other reviews that said their room had an updated bathroom - so maybe they hadn't gotten to ours yet!) but it was still clean (although the grout could have used some scrubbing). I would return to this resort during any future trip to the island. All rooms have a breathtaking view. A 17% gratuity is automatically added to your bill at the restaurants and bar...but I always added extra. Don't miss the afternoon tea!!!!

There is an incredible spa on the property (won best spa in 2013 in Bermuda) - and both massages I had there (with two different therapists) were fabulous.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!