“Most Incredible Wedding at Casos Point & Coconuts!” 5 of 5 stars

The Reefs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   56 South Shore Rd., SN 02, Bermuda   |
Special Offer
Free Nights at The Reefs
“Most Incredible Wedding at Casos Point & Coconuts!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. My niece was married here Friday, September 13, 2013 and all I have to say is, you can't get any better than this for a destination wedding.

Sight unseen, my niece did all the work through here wedding planner, Kathleen who also was amazing. The wedding outside at Casos point was breathtaking and the reception at Coconuts was unbelievable. Everything was perfect!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

As a surprise for my 60th birthday, my husband took me to The Reefs, where we stayed four night in a cliff side room. Picture perfect would describe our room and view. The hotel staff were warm and friendly. Bermuda is an expensive island, but we found everyone on the island to be friendly, helpful and charming. And a big plus is that the island is very CLEAN, especially compared with other island vacations we have expenienced. Would I return to The Reefs? Absolutely, but we've have to replenish our vacation fund first.

Room Tip: We had a cliff side room, which we loved. The location was away from restaurant noise. It did mean...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Celebrated our honeymoon and would definitely go back again. Beautiful view from our ocean front junior suite. Excellent beach with beautiful sand. Service on beach was excellent and the drinks were nice and strong. Needed more snorkel equipment as they always would run out. Many fish were seen at the rocks not far from the shore. The food was good but I felt that we had some better meals offsite. Bed was not a legitimate King bed but two twin beds pushed together. Pillows were uncomfortable and hard. Adjacent room noise could be heard. The infinity pool was pretty but small for the size of the facility. No servers to serve food or cocktails at poolside. Limited seating by the pool. A lot of stairs as The Reefs are situated on a cliff. No elevators. Front desk personnel was limited but overall everyone was nice and pleasant. From what we heard, this is the nicest resort on the island and we enjoyed our stay.

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Reefs earlier this summer for 5 nights. My wife and I and our 2 twenty something daughters in a separate room. Beach is great. Service and access to water sports (eg paddle boarding) are very good. Waiters are attentive and towels abundant. Only quibble here is the lounge chairs are not the best quality. The food at the resort is quite good (but I would not recommend a meal plan as it is definitely worth trying other restaurants on the island). The cliffside suites we stayed in were both well appointed and had nice views. However...the pool is small and fills up. The few chairs are usually taken with towels so if you want some time off of the beach in the pool/hot tub, you have to get lucky or make it your last stop of the day on the way back to your room. The service at the front desk is marginal. Hurried and only quasi helpful. Not going the extra mile to make you feel like you are in a top resort like most Four Seasons, for example. Overall I would recommend The Reefs as a very good resort and probably one of the best in Bermuda. It is just not top notch elite compared to other hotels in its price class.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a wonderful property with an incredible private beach. A wonderful place to stay on the island. On the private beach there are amenities, such as chairs and unbrellas (which were always available), and wait staff to deliver lunch and/or drinks to the beach. All of the restaurants at The Reefs serve excellent food and the waitstaff are all friendly and knowledgeable. We had no problems checking in or out, as others have described, and the resort was at full occupancy. When you do check out, if you have a later flight, there are showers and changing rooms by the beach so you can continue to enjoy an afternoon at the beach before you head to the airport. My only criticism is the bathroom in our room is in need of an update (I read other reviews that said their room had an updated bathroom - so maybe they hadn't gotten to ours yet!) but it was still clean (although the grout could have used some scrubbing). I would return to this resort during any future trip to the island. All rooms have a breathtaking view. A 17% gratuity is automatically added to your bill at the restaurants and bar...but I always added extra. Don't miss the afternoon tea!!!!

There is an incredible spa on the property (won best spa in 2013 in Bermuda) - and both massages I had there (with two different therapists) were fabulous.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I would have preferred to give this 4 1/2, but could only give 4 or 5. If something isn't perfect, it can't be a 5.

The private beach was absolutely amazing. I'm not much of a sit on the beach all day person although I do love going in the ocean. Having your own chairs and umbrella really make it comfortable. The sand and water are so nice, you don't really want to leave. I was told I needed to be at the beach before 9 in order to secure an umbrella, but they never filled up until around 11. They had free paddle board, wake boards, floating noodles, kayaks, and snorkeling equipment for use. The snorkeling was amazing. No need to go on a boat for an hour and get sick. Just a 1 minute swim from shore and you were surrounded by fish. I had heard some people complain about excessive seaweed, but didn't see any on my first day. Other days it was there, but I would only classify it as a minor annoyance, nothing major.

The room was nice. We took everyone's advice and upgraded to the cliff side room. I do have to say, I didn't notice any noise problems at the pool and it was mostly completely empty after dark so I'm not sure the cliff side upgrade was necessary. The room was clean, dual sinks in the bathroom, bed was comfortable, there was plenty of room, and a great view. There was a refrigerator so you could bring your own drinks to cut down on the alcohol expense. ,My main complaint was the tv volume. I had it up to the max and could not hear most of what was said from the bed.

The pool was great, and underutilized. There are only 5 umbrellas and 10 chairs, but we always found a pair when we went. The other great thing was that it was open all hours. My wife and I went after dinner every night and had the pool to ourselves most of the time from 9-11 PM. Adult hours from 5-7, although I didn't find any excessive noisy kids at all. Most kids were older and the few younger ones that were there seemed well behaved.

The breakfast buffet was great and I would definitely recommend getting it as part of your room rate. Lunch at coconuts had a great view of the beach, but the menu was very limited. We just ate the same menu on the beach other days. The beach service was fine. To cut down on cost, we ate dinner off property most nights. One night we ate in Hamilton and another we ate at the lighthouse restaurant which I highly recommend. Great views of the whole island while you eat. We were there for our anniversary, so we had dinner on the beach 1 night. It was a prefix menu and the food and service were good. I did get a little sticker shock when I got the bill so make sure you figure that out ahead of time. :)

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Just returned from 8 nights at the Reefs. Overall a great experience with just a few caveats.

The property is in great condition and well maintained. We stayed in a top floor cliffside room that had a simply spectacular view. The room was in great condition and had all the needed amenities. The bathroom appeared recently renovated and was nicely laid out and functional. Both the room and bathroom were perfect size. No outside noise at night with the doors closed but the room AC was a bit on the noisy side. We ended up just cooling the room off when we went to dinner and shutting the AC off when we went to bed. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. My only advice on room choice would be not to book a poolside room. The first floor poolside rooms seem to have a privacy issue and we were glad we upgraded to the cliffside.

The beach is amazing, great size, private, and doesn't disappear at high tide. We spent most of our days there and never had a problem getting chairs or an umbrella. There only seemed to be a couple occasions in the late morning and early afternoon when the umbrellas were all taken, but it didn't last long. Not too bad considering the staff said they were at about 98% occupancy. You can use the beach whenever you like, but it's technically only "open" with staff present from 9am to 6pm. It's perfect "walking sand" and there's no rocks or any need for water shoes. Just an amazing, relaxing, perfect beach.

We ate at Coconuts numerous times for lunch and dinner, both were excellent and the food was fantastic. And yes, you do need reservations for dinner, Coconuts was booked full most nights we were there, simply making reservations that morning was all that was needed. We ate once at Ocean Echo and the food was outstanding but the menu was very limited (only three different entrees). They do change the menu daily and it's displayed by the front desk, definitely check to see if it will satisfy your taste buds before making a reservation. The breakfast buffet was also outstanding, omelette station daily and a wide variety of other foods. We did not get around to eating at Royston's. We did however eat at other restaurants on the island - Pickled Onion, Fourways Inn, and Lido at Elbow Beach. All were fantastic, which leads to another observation. The travel blogs seem to indicate that Bermuda is just OK from a culinary standpoint. Being foodies from New York we have to disagree, we had nothing but fantastic food everywhere we ate during our trip. The food is definitely expensive, but foodies will not be disappointed. On another note kudos to the Reefs for making real drinks! Always strong, never watered down.

So lastly are the caveats. The service is just a bit off at the Reefs. Most of the issues seem to lie at the front desk, which admittedly looks like an overworked little area. Anything you need to do as a guest puts you at the front desk, whether it's checking in and out, getting concierge services, or making dinner reservations. And the problem is that the staff just aren't that helpful. For example, we went to the front desk to inquire about a sailing trip we were going to book that left from the dockyard. When I asked how long it took to get to the dockyard the individual at the desk looked right at me and aloofly said "I don't know". No offer to find out, nothing. Just "I don't know". The front desk made us dinner reservations outside the property twice, but neither time left us a message in the room telling us when the reservations where. Hence we had to go back to the desk to confirm. Check-in (and out) is kind of a mess, with numerous people trying to check-in, current guests looking for concierge services, and taxi drivers looking to get airport transfers paid. Note to management: get a separate concierge that takes appointments, and when numerous guests are waiting to check-in take their name, give them a drink, and have them sit leisurely in the lounge. Simple fixes that will take the stress away from your guests. Housekeeping was fine in our room but on two occasions there were food dishes left outside the room next to ours that sat untouched through evening turn down until the next morning. Staff had to walk past them to perform the evening turndown, not sure why they didn't pick them up. On a positive note, the service in the restaurants was great and the beach attendants were also quite pleasant.

Overall we had a great time and would recommend the Reefs. Great property, great beach, great food. Just needs a little fine-tuning of the service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!