We arrived Friday October 26 and Hurricane Sandy passed by on Sunday on its way the New Jersey and New York. It was our 11th stay at The Reefs so you gotta know we love the place, and I will say why in a minute. But first I wanted to encourage you to book into Bermuda no matter what the weather report says, as long as the hotel is ready to receive you and the planes are flying, for two reasons: 1) Nobody can accurately predict Bermuda's weather! 2) The Reefs is very well-equipped and managed and quite successful at riding out major storms.
With respect to the first point: every time we get within two weeks of going we start a daily watch of the weather reports. And we agonize over all the predicted rain and wind. And our favorite time to visit is October 31 - November 15 which is still in the hurricane season. But nearly every time we find that the weather is actually just fine - with plenty of sun even if not all the time. I am a big sunbather and swimmer so sun is important for me! We like this time of year because it is nearly always still warm - in the mid 70s to low 80s, the humidty is down, the ocean is still warm - usually in high 70s, and the hotel price is less after the summer high season.
You can imagine how we felt when we saw the satellite photos of Sandy down in the Carribean in the days before our trip. But we stayed on plan when it became clear the hurricane's center would come no closer than 300 miles to Bermuda. Glad we did! Yes we had 50 mile an hour winds and horizontal driving rain one day, but the rest of our visit was a lovely mix of sun and clouds and wind. And we had the place nearly to ourselves as so many had cancelled due to the weather. My advice is - don't!
As for The Reefs: it is perfect for us. I like to snorkel and I do that right off the pretty little beach. We spend the entire day on the beach. My wife under the umbrella reading or snoozing and me in the sun or in the water. The beachside restaraunt for lunch - on its deck or served on the beach. Evenings are full of tree frog song and dinner in one of the three restaraunts. We eat all our meals there. The spa is great for massage and Thai massage. The staff are very friendly and make us feel at home. The cliffside rooms are not fancy but fine. The views are wonderful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Widely recognized as the best hotel in Bermuda, this award-winning and intimate hotel offers spectacular ocean views from every room. Perched along limestone cliffs overlooking its own private beach you'll enjoy legendary Bermudian hospitality and gourmet dining at three different restaurants. The Reefs is one place where you will feel perfectly at ease. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, HotelsClick, Odigeo, Travelocity and Otel so you can book your The Reefs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reefs Hotel Southampton
- Reefs Hotel Southampton
- Reefs Resort Southampton
- The Reefs Bermuda/Southampton Parish
- Reefs Bermuda