“Perfect hotel for a golf vacation or relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   36 Pompano Beach Road, SB 03 , Bermuda   |
Offers & Announcements
$200 resort credit promo
New Jersey
“Perfect hotel for a golf vacation or relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am a travel agent and just had my 12th trip to Bermuda. I have stayed at a variety of places, many of which are not in business anymore but I have stayed at the Reefs, Elbow and Surfside. This was my 3rd trip to the Pompano Beach Club in the last 3 years and will be back again next March.

Each time I have stayed in the Flying Fish building which is a brief walk to the main building and is right on top of the water. I prefer the rooms on the second floor. They have a vaulted ceiling giving it a bit of a more open feel. The views are beautiful. The bathrooms are large and very clean. To those that have commented on the furnishings being run down they were in the process of replacing the furniture and drapes in the buildings where I was staying. Our room had been partially changed and the new furniture is made of dark wood and was very attractive. Not sure if everyroom in the hotel was getting the change but I know that at least 2 buildings right on the water were.

One of the things I love about this hotel is its proximity to Port Royal Golf Course. I am a golfer and have played every course on the island. I would play Port Royal any day over Tuckers Point and Mid Ocean.

The other things that make this hotel stand out is the owners, the front desk staff, the restaurant staff in the Ocean Grill and the bar staff. They go out of their way to help you and make sure you are pleased.

The meal plan in a must. The breakfast made to order is great and they will make just about anything if you ask. The menu in the Cedar room changes nightly but my favorite dining is the Ocean Grill. The lamb chops are terrific as is the squash soup and I can't resist the chocolate mouse which is to die for and I make a very chocolate mouse.

There is a complimentary shuttle to the golf course, the bus stop and the grocery store. Personally I prefer to walk between the hotel and the golf course. The course will store your clubs for you during your stay.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you are considering a trip to Bermuda.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms in the newer buildings.

998 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Crossville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

As a long time visitor to Bermuda, I must say Pompano is my all-time favorite. I have Celiac and cannot tolerate wheat gluten. Travel for me can be stressful and sometimes dangerous, so I am delighted to report that Pompano is a safe haven for all food sensatives. Having been alerted to my issues, I was met at registration by Exec. Chef Paul who reviewed my needs with me, explained that they had purchased gluten free bread, pasta, baking mixes and cookies. He also discussed menu options and what they could do to alter dishes to make them available for me. I had GF toast, pancakes and waffles for breakfast, bread with dinner, as well as wonderful 5 course dining, all within my diet restrictions. Their pastry chef is also working with GF goodies for the guests. The kitchen and dining room staff were fully aware of my needs, and constantly checked to be sure I was taken care of. Beyond the wonderful food , Pompano always makes their guests feel special, and always go above and beyond what one would normally expect. I would urge anyone to choose Pompano, and if you have food sensativities, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: If you have a problem with climbing stairs ask for a room at the bottom of the hill.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

First stay at Pompano, but not in Bermuda. Previously, I stayed in the thick of things in Hamilton and that was fun, but required much more planning and energy. Pompano has everything on-site (or nearby... and they'll take you, if it's close!) for a complete, relaxing vacation. Larry and the staff are very warm and welcoming and will go very far out of their way to make sure you are taken care of. I was not expecting it from a place like this, but the food was excellent, The shuttle took us to the Port Royal Golf Course and even to the local grocery store. We stayed at the top of the hill, which is 58 stair steps up from the main building. After the large breakfasts and dinners, I was happy to work off the calories a little and the views from up there are spectacular! Sitting outside looking over the little railing down at the pool and the ocean makes it seem like you're the only one up there. I will definitely return.

Marystown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

No malls. No restaurant chains. No rent-a-cars. No rush. That's Bermuda, and Pompano tops it off with comfortable accommodations on a dramatic site where you are constantly soothed by the vista and sounds of the beach and ocean.

Gourmet five course meals make the meal plan a must - several changing choices for appetizer, soup, salad, and dessert and 8-10 for entrees mean you likely won't even want to take advantage of their dine-around option, and when you consider its value ($60 supper + $20 breakfast x 2 = $160/room/ night), the package is cheap.

There's no division of labour here - every staff member seems to be looking for a reason to please whether the request is within their normal job description or not. The maitre de, wait staff and chefs work as a team to ensure every meal is a pleasure, and it seemed that each course materialized magically just when you were ready for it, no fuss, no bother.

The front desk won't let you pass by without greeting you and anticipating your needs. It's impossible to tell which is the manager, asst manager, clerk or shuttle driver - they all do it all, including co-owner Larry. Every one is a tourist guide, friend, and gay witty raconteur.

We used the shuttle constantly to go back and forth to the golf course, bus stop, and convenience store and never waited more than five minutes - it was like we had our own private chauffeur.

While checking out, my wife asked the lady at the desk if she might have something she could use to do a temporary patch job on her luggage. The airline had cracked off a wheel on her hard-shelled suitcase leaving a gaping hole. The lady not only came up with - you guessed it - a roll of duct tape, but insisted on doing the repairs herself!

The adjacent Port Royal golf course is a championship track, but fun to play from the whites or ladies tees and what views!

We were there in the March shoulder season when nothing was fully booked, and so no doubt got better service, but this hotel only has 75 rooms, so am sure this staff will please even when full, and there will likely be more of them on then, too.

Rooms a bit dated, but have huge patios, bedrooms and baths, and site says they're being upgraded - they were fine for us and the beds were deadly!!??!!

Entertainment 2/5 nights, Mervin the affable bartender

Room Tip: Upper deluxe waterfront means you're right on the ocean and convenient to main building
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tyne & Wear, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed for only one night as we were guests at a wedding held here. Being a family owned business the staff from manager down over are exceptionally friendly and very efficient. The room and the view of the sea were to die for. The choice of breakfast would satisfy anyone. Nothing seems to be a problem to them. Bermuda is currently having a problem attracting tourists. The fact that you can't hire cars and it is an expensive place to holiday could well be a factor. It may be that it is certainly an expensive place to holiday but for those that can afford it the experience of visiting the many beautifully coloured coves makes it all worth while. You will not find any cheap bargains in the clothes shops though so take all the clothes you need with you. Most things will cost you a lot lot more than you would pay in the UK.
The island is small enough (14 miles x 9 miles) for you to cover during your stay. The problem is you cannot hire any cars whatsoever - only scooters, bicycles or a taxi. Be aware that the scooters are NOT insured for theft so be careful where you park them. I was told there was so many of them being stolen that you can't insure them. However, the bus service is easy to use and goes to most places. Make sure you have the exact fare as the buses do not give change so buy your bus tickets from various outlets before getting on. Most restaurants have gratuities added to the bill so don't tip twice.
I wouldn't say Bermuda was a place for the elderly or infirm due to the steep gradients of some of the roads unless they have transport. The pavements are non existent in many places and where they are provided it is difficult to walk three abreast making it less than desirable where children are concerned.

Room Tip: The rate you pay (tourist rate) will be more than a local would pay so if you know anyone on the isl...
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Pompano is a wonderful, family-owned and operated resort on the southwest end of the island. On many previous trips, I stayed in the city-center of Hamilton for ease of access to local shops and restaurants. Most essentials are within walking distance staying in-town, but not the beaches!. My wife and I discovered Pompano about 15 years ago and return every chance we get. This early March trip was my 25th time vacationing on the island, and while the weather left a bit to be desired, the property is as wonderful as ever. The last trip was 5 years ago, and several of the staff remembered us and greeted us warmly. The location and clifftop views of the ocean and sunsets are unbeatable - even in Bermuda! There are more luxurious and modern accommodations on the island, but the warmth at Pompano is unmatched. The rooms are currently being refurbished, but all have ocean views and most have patios for sunset watching. As the resort was originally a fishing club in the 1950's, the rooms are fairly plain and unassuming, but comfortable and well appropriated. The lobby and common areas, however, are spectacular! And chances are you're not going to spend much time in your room in a spot like this!
We always opt for the meal plan, which includes a full made-to-order breakfast and a gourmet dinner. While dining at the same location each day at first seems undesirable, the variety of menu items, excellent service, and financial benefits outweigh the negatives. There are two restaurants on-property. They also have dine-around agreements with other beautiful properties nearby if one simply must dine elsewhere. And you can explore the island's fine dining for lunch at your leisure.
The resort is relatively secluded, so transportation to/from nearby townships is by bus, taxi or scooter. I recommend the scooter for younger folks, but the bus system is very efficient. Taxis are a last resort because of the expense, but the drivers are always friendly and willing to tell you about their lovely island.
Pompano will always hold a warm spot in our traveling hearts!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I had stayed at the Fairmont Southampton in March 2012 and it was fantastic. However, we thought we would try other accommodations this year, just to broaden our experience. We looked at reviews on Tripadvisor and selected Pompano Beach Club, based on overall score and reviews. The location is outstanding, to be sure. Right on modest cliffs overlooking the beautiful ocean. That's where the awesome ends, unfortunately. The entire property could use a power wash...first impression as we drove up. The room was disappointing. So outdated and musty. Holes in the drapes, a block of wood under one leg of the bed frame. The securing chain on the door was an afterthought and appeared to have been installed with a chisel. The dining room was in need of paint and general upgrade, as was the rest of the areas. I was really struggling to reconcile what we had read under the reviews section on Tripadvisor with what I was experiencing and thought perhaps I was expecting too much. But, I decided, no, it's not me. It is hard for me to write a negative review, because I don't like to. But, I just had to share our experience. In any event, after two days, we decided to leave and stay the remainder of our holiday at another place. As soon as we told them we were leaving early, a cold wind blew over us. I can completely appreciate how difficult it is to run a place like this, and I have no doubt the Lamb brothers try very hard to maintain the legacy of the family property, but I work hard too and I don't have the luxury of blowing off $400 a night for a less-than-positive experience. I do wish them well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TLIII, Managing Director at Pompano Beach Club, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
We sincerely regret that we were not able to live up to your expectations and are sorry that you felt you needed to check out of our resort five days earlier than you'd been scheduled to depart. When my brother, Larry (our General Manager), talked with you in the lobby about your decision to check out at such short notice, you told him that everything was fine on our end but that you'd had a "change in preference". Larry offered to switch you to another room to see if that might make a difference, however, you still wanted to change hotels. As you know, you were not penalized by us for leaving early. We're sorry if you felt "a cold wind" blew over you when you initially told our front desk staff that you wanted to check out five days early. Your announcement definitely surprised us!

We realize that it isn't easy to please everyone all the time because people have different tastes and preferences. That being said, we really do care about all of our guests' experiences. For those who've read your review, it is important that they realize your comment "the dining room was in need of paint and general upgrade, as was the rest of the areas" is very unfair and simply not true. All of our lobby, front desk and Sunset Lounge ceilings, walls and woodwork - including both of our restaurants - were completely repainted by professional painters during the month of January! Plus, all of our dark wood furniture in the Cedar Room restaurant is less than two years old (and in great condition), with the Ocean Grill restaurant also in great physical shape. Our resort was closed in January for a few weeks so that we could add new travertine marble to several of our lobby floor areas and dramatic new double tier windows to our lower lobby area. For you to suggest that our "other areas" were in need of upgrading after all the work we'd just done in our main building, is hard for us to fathom! Even your comment about the chain on your guestroom door is surprising because all of our entry doors have deadbolt locks on them. Very few of our entry doors even have the security chains any more because they all have deadbolt locks.

We know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that Trip Advisor provides a forum for you to do so. We only wish that you'd given us an opportunity to address your concerns when you were asked because we hopefully could have changed your mind about us before you left.
We are all about hospitality and service and are just sorry that we weren't what you were looking for.

Cordially,

Tom Lamb
Managing Director
Pompano Beach Club

Been to Pompano Beach Club? Share your experiences!