“A lot of buses full of tourists disembarking” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Lighthouses, Landmarks
More attraction details
Owner description: The oldest cast iron lighthouse in the world provides breathtaking views of the Bermuda shoreline.
6 attraction reviews
“A lot of buses full of tourists disembarking”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We 'hiked' through a section of the Bermuda railway trail which was nice and close to te hotel but ended up at the lighthouse with not one but three full bus loads of frenzied tourists. We turned back ..quaint small lighthouse but not really worth going out of our way.

Visited August 2012

Richmond, VA
3 attraction reviews
“View”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Breathtaking view and great staff was there to help. it was not expensive and we learned about Bermuda history.

Visited November 2012
Providence, Rhode Island
17 attraction reviews
“Best view that you'll get of Bermuda - spectacular and doable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I finally made it to this wonderful attraction on my 3rd visit to Bermuda several weeks ago. The view is indeed spectacular! The lighthouse was originally built in 1846, the 2nd cast-iron one ever built, is my understanding...it is 117 feet high and 362 feet above sea level. Most folks are concerned about actually getting to the top for the 360 look from outside - it's doable!!! *But only you can judge if you want to give it a go :-) I was a bit hesitant initially but absolutely determined to go slow and get up there - and I made it without breaking a sweat, and it was a rather warm, humid day! Took my sweet time - was it ever worth it!

There are 8 landings, as I recall, where you can rest, and each has info./ history (photos / drawings) that you can read - pretty fascinating. *Thus you go at your own pace.* That said, if you are claustrophobic or suffer from panic you may not want to try it? Also if you have a fear of heights, well, it 'might' not be for you. Nor if you have very bad knees. So in that case enjoy the outside, the grounds, the gift shop, etc. :-) While a bit tight, the climb to the top is not nearly as tight as the tower at the Cathedral of The Most Holy Trinity in Hamilton (another super view). I do believe that the price is still $2.50 to go to the top (children under 5 are free) - very well worth it.

Once up the top, the panoramic view is almost beyond description, from the South Shore, the city of Hamilton, to as far as the West End and the Royal Navel Dockyard, where most of the cruise ships dock. I came on the NCL Star. ***If you are into photography at all you will find few (if any) better places to obtain pictures of the entire island.***

There is a nice gift shop where you can get something to drink, and the souvenirs (I picked up a tee-shirt) are quite reasonably priced, in my opinion. I spent a fair amount of time up top just looking out at the beauty, taking photos, chatting with others, resting. It was a gorgeous day! I will also share with you that I myself have panic, don't love heights - but I did it because I wanted the view and the photos and frankly, the experience :-)

The lighthouse is quite easy to get to - I had a scooter and drove from the cruise ship at the Dockyard. :-) I 'think' that it is open from 9am - 4:30pm daily but check to be sure...

Again, *only you* can decide if you want to venture to the top. If you do I guarantee that you will be enthralled by the incredible view - and the photos that you will bring home! When I go back next year I plan to do it again - maybe I missed some photos :-) As noted by others, on a windy day going outside at the top may well be more difficult, maybe not even possible? Pick a nice day :-) You do not need more than one hour - the amount of time there is your call. I had no fears of anything breaking, or dying, or falling, or anything like that - in fact it was very relaxing to me and I hated coming down! By the way, as is often the case, going down is very much easier than going up :-) There is plenty of parking for cars, scooters, and all of the tourists - if you take the bus you will walk a bit to get to it - but it's worth it.

I consider this a 'must see' assuming that you believe that you can do it > get there and get to the top. At the very least go and check out the lighthouse itself and then head down the road to the beach...and look at all of your terrific photos :-)

Visited October 2012
63 attraction reviews
“Worth $2.50 and some exercise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The lighthouse is awesome and the views were worth the 185 steps. The walk from the bus stop is around a ten minute walk uphill unless you can bum a ride like we did. The people here we encountered were all very very nice. If you have time on the island do it!

Aylesbury Bucks
23 attraction reviews
“wow what a great view!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Well worth the 1000's of steps to climb (no Lift) Has a gift shop and tea room at the bottom. Costs $2.50 but well worth it. A bit scary as you go right outside on a very little balcony with frail rusty rails preventing your immediate instant death if you fell !

Visited November 2012