“Beautiful hotel but poor service” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Resort   |   101 South Shore Road, SN02, Bermuda   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
3rd Night Free
“Beautiful hotel but poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The fairmont if definitely one of the nicest hotels in Bermuda. The room itself is very large and the bathroom is stunning. The view though was of the back of the hotel which was actually really gross. When they say obstructed view they mean it. The hotel itself was a little outdated but very large and pool was nice. Staff was not the friendliest but not the worst either. Make sure to check out the pool at night when it us open to non spa goers.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing about your trip to Bermuda, I am glad you found the hotel beautiful. It is disappointing, however, to hear that you did not find our staff friendly or helpful, and I apologise for any inconvenience that caused. Our Moderate Rooms are no-view, while our Fairmont Rooms are partially obstructed views of roofs and building. There are room categories with better views available. I am heartened to hear that you enjoyed your evening swims in the Spa pool, and I hope that on your next visit you will find the service to have improved greatly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We have recently returned from a wonderful break at the Fairmont.
The people are the friendliest we have met and the service is first class.
It's true the food isn't cheap but the quality is of a high standard.
Even the pizza is delicious!
The waterlot inn delivers on both food quality and service. So much so that we made two visits.
We found the setting of the hotel to be ideal. The trolley service to both the beach and harbour area is regular and the local bus service is easy to use. We managed to cover all areas of interest using this form of transport.
If you enjoy playing golf, this is the place for you. My husband managed to play 4 games of golf at different courses, including the hotel course and was joined up with others each time with no problem. This is not always the case in some countries.
The only reason I gave the hotel 4 and not 5 stars is because although the rooms are spacious and views spectacular and are kept spotlessly clean, they could do with some updating as they are beginning to look a little tired and the air conditioning system is noisy but efficient
We had a brilliant trip and came home fully relaxed.
Would definitely return to this hotel.

Stayed October 2013
Thank you for sharing about your recent visit. I am so pleased to hear you and your husband enjoyed Bermuda, particularly all of the golf! You're right, The Waterlot Inn is well worth the money, it is delicious! Thank you for your feedback regarding our rooms, hopefully by your next visit there will be improvements like you suggest.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We took a quick getaway to Bermuda, not sure to expect. We have been to various Caribbean and Tropical destinations in the past but have never been to Bermuda. Fairmont is an older hotel ,but still nice.

The Room
Our room was clean and comfortable. We booked the regular room - the only problem was we had the view of the back lot and rooftops of the facilities, not that pretty. But besides that it was fine. We signed up online as a member for free so we could get free wifi.

Location
Take note of where the hotel is located. The big benefit of this hotel is the proximity to the beach. You can take a shuttle to their private beach, or decide to cut thru the gate (after getting off the shuttle for the beach) to Horseshoe Bay. Both great beaches. One day we decided to hike down the public beaches (quick walk from the private beach) and that was also wonderful. The private beach is a great place for entry level snorkeling so don't forget to bring your snorkeling gear- it is expensive renting and buying it there, and you will get the chance to easily see some colorful fish and coral as they actually provide a snorkel map. The private beach sits off in a little cove, protected by rocks so the waves are not as rough there. Beach chairs and umbrellas were readily available.
The only problem is that it is a bit isolated from everything else. It is far away from downtown Hamilton, however you can take a shuttle to the ferry to Hamilton. Just take note of the shuttle and ferry times so you can make sure to come back on time w/out having to fork over $30+ bucks on a taxi. We also used the other ferry to go to the Naval Dockyard, but unfortunately we didn't find it worth our time for the time we spent getting there. It was full of craft arts stuff for sale, and not much else.

Dining
We ended up eating several times at the Cabana Bar & Grill, Wickets Burger Bar, and once at Newtport Gastropub. Cabana had a great outdoor seating and view of the ocean, and surprisingly we enjoyed the food very much. Loved the ceviche! Wickets had great fish and chips, and actually really enjoyed the pizza at Newport.

Customer Service
The staff was extremely friendly although it might take a few repeated calls to get what you want. The first few days we were not provided conditioner and I kept calling to get some and only after the third day did we finally get some. The valets were super friendly and so were the taxi drivers we encountered.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again.

Tips
Sign up as a member for free wifi
Buy drinks from the vending machine downstairs near the game room instead of the minibar. (Cheaper)

Room Tip: Sign up as a member for free wifi Buy drinks from the vending machine downstairs instead of the min...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent first Bermuda vacation. I am glad you found your room comfortable, our rooms vary by view, with the Moderate Rooms being no-view rooms. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our beach and exploring Horseshoe Bay. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with the Royal Naval Dockyard, it is also a vast historical site and home to the Bermuda National Museum. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed all your dining experiences and I am glad you found our staff to be friendly. Thank you again for providing such a detailed review, and we hope this won't be your last trip to beautiful Bermuda.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Large, beautiful hotel, golf resort and spa right next to horseshoe bay. It is a bit far from the airport: took 45 minutes to get to hotel. the hotel has a personal trolley that can take you to the beach, golf course and harbor. The hotel has a private beach/cove for hotel guests and access to the public portion of Horseshoe Bay. If you take the trolley to the harbor, you can catch a free hotel ferry to the Fairmont Hamilton Princess hotel located in Hamilton and explore the island on that side. The island itself is pretty small and fairly easy to navigate plus the hotel sells bus coins at the front desk should you desire to explore. The spa is amazing and the pool and jacuzzi are free in the evenings. The hotel buffet is expensive. The rooms are very nice and clean and the hotel staff are attentive and generous. The rooms were not ready when we arrived so we left our luggage at the hotel and took the trolley to the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the glowing review - and your pictures are also great. When guests arrive before check-in time, it is always great to head straight to the beach to bask in the sun and relax until your room is ready. I am glad to hear you explored the island and enjoyed the spa experience. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Fairmont Southampton is a very beautiful property with stunning views from just about everywhere. They have nice facilities for the pool and beach as well as the golf course right there. There is also a dockside area which was pleasant as well. The decor of the common areas was a little strange, kind of a confused mix of nautical and 70's dated, which unfortunately does detract a bit from the overall aesthetic. The ferry service to Hamilton was a great bonus, and the Fairmont in Hamilton actually felt a bit more like what I was expecting in Southampton.

The concierge and front desk staff were very willing to help and the service there was as expected, but my biggest disappointment was really in the restaurants. There was not very much variety in the food options in the more casual dining so they did not really like different places (burger, fish sandwich...) Additionally it was almost like the wait staff forgot about you after you sat down, even though the restaurant had only a few other patrons. When the food arrived there was always something missing, and while that is not a big deal, when you wait 20 minutes to get salad dressing, it is a problem. Now, eating on the resort is also not a big deal if you have other options, but given the somewhat isolation of this location, there really wasn't anything else close by! Also it's not like it was one bad experience, it was probably every single one. So much that we contemplated maybe just not having dinner one night to avoid the hassle...

Now, I know the resorts are not all about the food necessarily, but when the experience is this poor, you must say something. I completely concur with the reviewer who wrote "This place set itself on cruise control in the 1970s and checked out".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay. I am glad to hear you thought the property was beautiful. I want to apologize for the repeated service anomalies that you describe experiencing in our restaurants. We do train our staff to be friendly, efficient, and timely with their service, and I have sent your review to our Food & Beverage leadership team to ensure they are aware of your recent experience. Again, I am disheartened to hear how disappointed you were with your visit, and I hope that if you decide to visit again, we will exceed your expectations. Thank you for your review.
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We decided on Sunday to spend the following weekend, a long holiday one, in Bermuda. We arrived on Friday afternoon and after what seemed like an unending shuttle ride from the airport, arrived at the Fairmont Southampton at about 3:00 PM. The bell staff called a friendly greeting as we arrived, but didn't offer much help as we toted our luggage to the front desk. Check-in was quick and pleasant and we were upgraded to a fifth floor ocean view room. The room was clean and updated. Because we are members of the President's Club, we received free Wi-Fi. We attempted to book treatments at the spa for that afternoon and were disappointed that there was not enough staff on hand to do so. Throughout our stay, our main complaint always arose from the understaffing that seems evident. We had a delicious dinner at the Newport Gastropub. Despite the inability of the concierge desk to make any reservations for us throughout our stay, we managed to dine one evening at the Waterlot Inn and another at the Beach. Both meals were delicious although somewhat pricey. We enjoyed the ferry to Hamilton where we spent most of the day on Saturday and basked in the sun at the beach on Sunday and Monday. Although I believe that the staffing levels should be increased and better trained, this was not enough of a complaint to detract from what we found to be a wonderful weekend in a tranquil and sophisticated setting. We look forward to our next trip which we hope to make soon.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view because you do not overlook the roof.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. I am glad you enjoyed your Waterlot dinner, complimentary ferry ride to Hamilton, and the sunny beach. I am sorry you did not feel that there were enough staff on-hand to help you during your visit, we do always suggest that spa treatments be booked in advance, as the Spa is staffed based on demand. I am glad to hear that you still managed to have a great time, and I hope you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again for your thoughts.
West Islip, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The Fairmont Southampton set itself on cruise control in the 1970s and has checked out ever since. Change to improve the guest experience? Update the menu? Innovate? They don’t bother.

No-one in Fairmont Southampton is breaking a sweat to give their guests good service. Yes the staff is friendly enough in a vapid way, but they move at their own sluggish pace. If that’s not fast enough for you, tough. For example, the bartenders at the Jasmine cocktail lounge moved about as fast as a glacier. I watched several patrons wait at the bar for ten minutes without any service and then give up and walk away.

The hotel staff enjoy frequent and often lengthy personal conversations on the job. If you need something from them, you have to wait until they are finished wagging their tongues. My Dearest and I booked an excursion through the concierge desk. We were told to report at a specified time at the hotel entrance to meet a hotel employee who would arrange things. We arrived at the appointed time at the hotel entrance. No-one was there to help us. So we waited. Five minutes. Ten minutes. Fifteen minutes. After 20 minutes had drifted by with no sign of the hotel employee who was supposed to help us, I worried that we would miss the boat—both literally and figuratively. My Dearest did a little snooping around and discovered the missing hotel employee around a corner having an animated conversation with a minibus driver.

When I arrived things got off to a bad start. The main entrance door was a heavy wooden monstrosity on hinges. No automatic door that swooshed open as I approached. No muscular doorman to open the door for me. I had to put my bag down on the dirty floor and tug the door open. Once inside, no-one greeted me or offered directions. Eventually I found the reception desk. There were three women ahead of me waiting to check in. Waiting. And waiting. And waiting! There were two receptionists. They were having a wonderful conversation, giggling and laughing like school girls. I cleared my throat and brought their little social hour to an end: “Excuse me, Ladies, but there are guests here who would like to check in. Now!” If looks could kill . . . .

Everywhere things were out-of-date. The elevator lobby had old wood panelling. The elevators were slow. The corridor lights featured yellowed cracked glass.

The room showed its age. The tiles in the bathroom needed to be replaced. The plumbing and light fixtures were dated. The furniture on the patio was rusted. Indoors the furniture was worn with many scuffs and stains. One of the telephones was dead. The lamp shades were torn and frayed.

The room had some nice features. The walk in closet was spacious. The Keurig coffee maker cranked out great cups of coffee and tea. The curtains and bed spread were made of cheerful fabric. Colorful wallpaper and tropical art brightened the old room up.

The bathroom was clean, functional and well lit. I liked the double sinks, the huge mirror over the sinks, and the convenient shelving. I did not like the small non-illuminated make-up mirror, the thin towels, or the single-ply toilet paper. The shampoo and other bathroom product was not a luxury brand.

I did not eat in all the hotel restaurants. The restaurants that I did try featured slow service and non-descript food, including the worst shrimp cocktail I have ever eaten in my life. The shrimp were long past their “Sell By” date. I was terrified of being rushed to hospital to have my stomach pumped. The alleged Caesar Salad consisted of chopped romaine lettuce, supermarket Caesar dressing, and little square croutons that came out of a plastic bag.

This place is not awful, but it’s tired and mediocre. Maybe good enough for a quick weekend getaway. But for the love of G-d don’t spend your honeymoon or a big anniversary here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for resubmitting this review, I appreciate the time you put into constructing your thoughts for a second time about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent experience staying with us, and that you do not enjoy visiting Bermuda. I appreciate that you have a lot of thoughts about your stay, so if you would like to contact me directly, feel free to reach out on carlita.lodge@fairmont.com

I have noted the service anomalies that you experienced and am following up with the relevant teams to find out what went wrong and to ensure the problems do not continue to occur. I cannot speak directly to your experiences, but we pride ourselves on staff that are not only friendly but also helpful and efficient. I am sorry to hear that was not the case in your experience and apologise for any inconveniences you encountered. I have also noted your concerns about areas requiring maintenance and will send a note to our Maintenance teams. We do have plans to address some of the issues in the near future.

I am glad that you enjoyed some elements of the room. To clarify, our bathrooms stock Le Labo products (a luxury perfumery brand) designed exclusively for Fairmont Hotels and Resorts. I am sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with the Le Labo toiletries.

Our primary concern is guest safety and our culinary team has strict protocols to ensure that food is both fresh and flavourful. Our kitchen does not serve any salads from bags, our salads are prepared in-house with homemade dressings. I have spoken to our head chef, who assures me that the kitchen takes particular care in ensuring that seafood remains fresh - I am sorry to hear you felt it was not and disliked your dining experiences. I am happy, however, that you did not succumb to any issues.

While it is difficult to read reviews like yours, where it is obvious that you were wholeheartedly dissatisfied by the entire experience of visiting us in Bermuda, reviews like this do help us reflect on what we can do better to appeal to discerning travelers like yourself. We are dedicated to progress, as is all of the Bermuda Tourism industry. Again, thank you for sharing your passionate thoughts here on TripAdvisor, and feel free to reach out if you think of anything else.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
4.5 of 5 stars 825 reviews

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!