“Fairmont, Fairly Nice” 4 of 5 stars

3rd Night Free
New York City, New York
“Fairmont, Fairly Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Let me start by saying that Bermuda is one of my favorite places on Earth. I truly believe the beaches and water are unmatched ANYWHERE. Whether you enjoy snorkeling, sailing, or just lying on the beach, Bermuda is the perfect place. The coral sand and turquoise water are the perfect backdrop for your vacation!

I've stayed at the Fairmont in Southampton twice. Once in the month of May and once in the month of August. Here's what I'm going to tell you... May is a much quieter and a much more relaxed time to stay in Bermuda. August is just terrible. For one thing, it is extremely crowded in August and much to my surprise, the Fairmont doesn't really seem to increase their staffing during this crazy time. You will wait on long lines to check in, speak to the concierge, or to eat at a restaurant. The bars will be crazy busy and you'll die of thirst before you get so much as an ice cube in a glass. August is no bueno!

Unfortunately, my visit at the Fairmont in August left me with a less than loving feeling toward this property. As I stated before, we waited a considerable amount of time to check in. There were only 3 people working the front desk when we arrived and there were at least 15 people waiting on line. Not a good start! Because we are President Club members, we were given a great corner room with a wrap around balcony and access to free-wifi and a view of the harbour. Unfortunately,in the room above ours, it sounded as if there were a herd of toddlers running and jumping and banging around. This started early in the morning and well into the evening. Another reason to wait until school is in session to stay in Bermuda :)

During the summer months (late May into early September), every Wednesday in Hamilton is Harbour Night. Harbour Night is a street fair type event with food, entertainment and vendors selling jewlery, clothes, etc. We really cared nothing about attending Harbour Night because we've attended many times in the past, however, I love this particular bubble bath than I've only been able to find at Marks and Spencer. So, we were willing to make the trek into Hamilton so that I could get this precious commodity :) We waited to speak to the concierge to inquire if Marks and Spencer extends their hours during Harbour Nights. Some shops do, however others close at their regular times (around 5:00-5:30pm). The concierge was absolutely worthless. She flat out refused to call Marks and Spencer because she was so positively sure that they stayed open until 7pm. So, we wasted an hour going into Hamilton and guess what, Marks and Spencer was closed. I was so annoyed!
When we get back to the hotel, we advise the concierge that she is giving out bad information. She starts to argue with us and asks "Did you go to the main entrance on Front Street, because they are open." I told her I went to the main entrance (which is actually on Reid Street), and the back entrance on front street above Lusso and it was CLOSED. I further explained that I wanted her to call because I was there in May during Harbour Night and thought that it had been closed then, as well, but couldn't remember. She then begins to argue that there are no Harbour Nights in May. Good Lord! I was there, so I know!!!! She also started to argue that the entrance to M & S is above the English Shoppe (which it is NOT) I've just never encountered a concierge who knew so little! Boggles the mind!

I'm not sure if it was because the hotel was so busy or if housekeeping was just not on their game, but there were some things that could have been improved upon. We checked in on Wednesday and there was a used coffee cup sitting outside the door of the room next to ours, presumably left there to be picked up by room service. That same coffee cup was sitting there on Friday. Truly unacceptable. In addition, there were trays from room service that didn't get picked up from breakfast until well into the next day. And a used Q-tip sat in the middle of the hallway for 3 days. Yuck! There was a tag from a bathing suit (owner unknown) that was under a chair in my room. It stayed there for the duration of my visit (and could still be there for all I know). It's the little things, folks... makes you question how clean a place truly is. These are the bad things... On to the good...

The beach is down the hill a bit, but there is a trolley service that runs regularly to and from. For those looking for accommodations that sit directly on a beach, this isn't one of them. But, if you don't mind a short wait and an even shorter drive, then this isn't so bad. There's a great restaurant there and a pretty good bar. There's also snorkel rentals and paddle boards. There's decent gift shop that sells touristy odds and ends.

I've never had a bad meal at the Fairmont. Every single restaurant has something on the menu that you will enjoy. The food is really quite good. I recommend that you treat yourself to the breakfast buffet. It's pricey, but the selection isn't bad and they will make you an omelet and smoothie to order! The waffles are terrific too!

The spa is AMAZING! When you purchase a spa experience, it entitles you to the use of the spa amenities such as the pool, sauna, etc. It's truly phenomenal! Highly recommend. I had a body massage and it was very relaxing!

All in all, this property is fair. There are not many places to stay in Bermuda that's on the beach, unless you plan to rent a guest house. I think as long as you stay at the Fairmont during the "off" season, you're good to go, but God help you if go in August!

Room Tip: Corner rooms with wrap around balconies are terrific! Higher the better! Harbor views and Beach view...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful how much you love Bermuda. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in May, but disappointed to hear your experience in August didn't match your expectations. It is a busy period, but we do hire extra staff to accommodate for the large amount of guests.

The Fairmont Southampton is a family-friendly resort, but I apologise that the kids in the room above you disturbed your relaxation. I am also sincerely sorry to hear that our concierge team did not do their research properly on the Marks & Spencer hours and that you wasted a trip into Hamilton, and that they were not immediately apologetic about it. That kind of arguing is unacceptable, and I have forwarded this review to our concierge management team. I have also sent your note on to our Housekeeping team, to ensure that they pay closer attention to the small details in the future.

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the beach, the restaurants, and the spa - they are some of the best parts of the hotel! I hope on your next visit, it will be more like your last "May" vacation. Thank you again for reviewing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We honeymooned at what was formerly the Southampton Princess 25 years ago and decided to return to the property, now the Fairmont Southampton. Booked online months in advance; Fairmont really backs up it's promise to adjust rates whenever there is a reduction right up to the time you are travelling. We secured a great rate for oceanview king room (decided against Gold this time as we'd stayed on the concierge floor in the past-but might do it again in the future). Our room was sparkling clean and well maintained. We breakfasted on our balcony almost daily but plenty of other options were available either at the hotel or off site. Bed was amazingly comfortable. We received complimentary Prosecco and chocolate covered strawberries on the evening of our arrival... not sure if this was a President's Club thing, an anniversary thing, or a combo but what a nice surprise!
I cannot say enough about the staff...especially the concierge desk. EVERYONE there was pleasant, friendly, helpful-we felt they could not be more accommodating. Cleaning staff left our room sparkling daily. The gentlemen in the Jasmine Lounge in the morning (we hit it for grab and go breakfast options some days-pricey but convenient) were always a friendly, smiling presence.
Beach was beautiful as we remembered-small but nicely kept and people need to be aware that you could actually stroll from our beach a short distance through a gate to Horseshoe Bay and beyond for a selection of small beach coves at adjacent beaches if you're looking for variety. Dive Bermuda is located at the beach building and the staff there are really great. We rented snorkels from them (very reasonable) and bought an underwater camera at a very reasonable price, too. We did not take a snorkel trip with them this time, instead snorkeling around the property reefs (and at Horseshoe) where many beautiful fish could be seen. Smatt's Cycle Livery is also on property and we rented a scooter for 2 for the week as that's how we prefer to travel on the island. The scooter was reasonably priced and in good working order. When we inexplicably locked our own keys in the seat one day (don't ask) they offered an extra key with good humor. Jitney to the beach is convenient and shuttles to either the beach or the Waterlot dock are plentiful.
We ate several meals on property and I'll review them individually but in general-Waterlot was amazing, delicious, and a good value on the meal plan. Newport Gastropub, which used to be the fabled but ultrastuffy Newport Room, has morphed into a pretty great little place. Noise level is high but it is a pub atmosphere so go figure. The booths are very roomy and comfortable and the food was really good. Ocean Club was relaxed, food was good and atmosphere very pretty for nighttime dining under the stars. Bacci was our least favorite-apps and desserts vastly better than our entrees.
Now for the cons-there were few, not enough to downgrade the hotel from my excellent rating. First, almost all the snags we experienced were related to the online reservation system. The website is incredibly buggy and is often crashed (international reservation center staff acknowledged this during our conversations). We checked our reservation about a week prior to departure to find 7K of additional dinner meal plan extras added to our bill (!) which they had to correct. We were told by international reservation staff to choose how many meal plan nights we wanted and to select the dates when we arrived; on arrival, we were told they had to be CONSECUTIVE which would not work for our plans. Hotel staff were gracious and accommodated our wishes for dates. About three days in, we pulled a bill to keep check on any room charges and found we were being charged a daily rate of approximately 4 times the confirmed rate. Front desk was unable to address this on the day we discovered it, asking us to return on Monday 10/7 for the manager, who fixed it accordingly (it was, again, related to the online reservation system doubling and tripling meal plan add-ons). The restaurants NEVER showed us to have paid the dinner add on, so that was a constant annoyance, and we paid out of pocket one night (rate was adjusted to reflect this). Bottom line-this electronic glitch was very annoying and did soak up some of our time and attention, though the staff overall were quite gracious.
One other complaint-this hotel could only be improved by making the property nonsmoking. Our room was a nonsmoking room but the balconies are considered outdoor space and the people below us for the first 2 days smoked like chimneys-so much so that we could not sit out on our balcony as a solid wall of smoke was ascending onto it. The front desk could not move us that day but offered to move us when a room was available the next day, and shared that the people would be checking out the next day, leaving the option open for us to stay. We decided to stay and did not regret it as our room and view were so beautiful-and it all worked out in the end. Making the switch to nonsmoking would only enhance the experience-and help keep the beach and grounds clean as well.
We would ABSOLUTELY return to the Fairmont Southampton. We actually felt under the Fairmont banner the personal service and attention from the staff was markedly warmer and nicer than under the Princess banner. Princess was incredibly efficient but with the exception of our stay on the concierge floor, tended to be businesslike and a tad brusque. This trip was marked by great, great, great treatment by the friendly and proficient staff.

Room Tip: Oceanview was great but harborview also beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at The Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing about your 25th anniversary trip, it's great to hear you had such a fantastic stay. We try to surprise and delight our guests, and I'm glad your special anniversary treat did that!

It sounds like you had a great time snorkelling, scooting, and generally exploring Bermuda! I am glad you enjoyed your dining experiences, Waterlot truly is great and the Newport is definitely more accessible for our patrons budgets and palates! I followed up with our reservations team about why these issues occurred and we are investigating with the technical team about what might have happened. Thank you for being patient and understanding when dealing with our glitches, and I hope you calling it to our attention will solve any underlying issues with our system.

I am so glad you found the staff to be so pleasant and warm, that is fantastic feedback that I will happily share with our colleagues. Thank you again for your review, and I hope you return for a visit soon!
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was in Bermuda about 25 years ago and have wanted to return.My husband and I finally got to return this year. The island is beautiful but I was very disappointed with the Fairmount Southampton. The rooms were very clean. We were upgraded to an Ocean view room and the view was amazing. Woke up to a much needed cup of coffee to find that they never replenished it. I went down to the lobby to see if I could get some for the room. The staff told me that they would bring some to me shortly. We waited for about 1 hour but no one ever came. I had to hunt someone down every morning just for a cup of coffee. The food was very pricey and we were not impressed. The biggest dissappointment was that they closed the pool 2 nights out of the 5 nights that we were their for a private event. The hotel beach was very nice and clean. Shuttle buses were always available and the staff were friendly but we were very dissapointed.

Room Tip: 4th floor Ocean View. Very nice with a great view.Great temp control. Near elevators were a little n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing about your recent visit. I am glad Bermuda was as beautiful as you remembered from your previous visit. I am also glad you enjoyed your upgraded rooms, but am sorry to hear that you had an issue having your coffee refilled. I am following up with our housekeeping management team to ensure that this issue does not continue to occur, although I appreciate that does not change the outcome of your vacation. The Spa Pool is open at 6:30 PM for guests wishing to swim in the evening, although I understand your frustration in the Resort Pool closing for private functions. I hope that you don't wait another 25 years to visit Bermuda and that next time we will do more to help you have an exceptional stay. Thank you so much for your feedback.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Everything is great at fairmont southampton resort, friendly staff, comfortable rooms .. really great shuttle services to waterlot and ocean club .. food is a bit pricy but taste great~ love to visit Bermuda again!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
East Greenwich, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont Southampton in July with a friend and we had a great stay. Our room was spacious, clean, and had a great view (we had a harbor view room and it was a beautiful view to wake up to every day). The service in the hotel was great - everyone was very nice (people in Bermuda are incredibly nice in general). We went to the hotel's private beach every day (even though it was hot we chose to walk rather than take the trolley). The beach was beautiful! Lovely water, perfect temperature, you could snorkel around the rocks, and plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas. You can rent paddleboards on the beach for a good price. You can also easily walk to Horseshoe Bay. We chose to skip the crowded part of that beach and continue walking to the left edge of the beach through many beautiful, private coves. Bermuda really does have the prettiest beaches we had ever seen. We went to the hotel spa one day and enjoyed it (great private relaxing pool). After a certain time (6 pm?) services in the spa are 20% off and you can go to the spa pool/balcony/gym the entire day of your appointment. Also, another hint: join the Fairmont President's Club free online and you'll get complimentary internet in the hotel, free access to the gym, and discounts to the spa. Hotel pool was small but nice, with plenty of chairs for reading and shade if you want it. We mostly ate outside of the hotel but had a meal at the Newport Gastropub and enjoyed it (the Lighthouse and Mickey's on the Beach were our favorite restaurants - we walked to the Lighthouse and took an easy cab ride to MIckey's). I would choose to stay at the Fairmont Southampton again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your glowing review of your recent stay - all the activities you did sound fantastic, and it seems like you really enjoyed every moment of your visit! I'm glad you enjoyed The Newport, a Gastropub and I hope you visit us again soon and explore even more of what Bermuda has to offer!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Spend five nights on the Gold floor with our 15 month old. Staff could not be more helpful and friendly if they tried. Enjoyed the amenities and relaxing setting. Breakfast, tea, hors d'oeuvres, and desserts Defiantly worth the upgrade! Loved the scones!!

Stayed October 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Recently, my wife and I were wed in September 2013. After scouring many resorts, I chose the Fairmont Southampton to be the location of our honeymoon. (And when I mean, I can find fault with a hotel, I can find it) I could not have chosen a better spot. Our room was on the 6th, Concierge, Floor. Every morning, a fantastic breakfast with granola parfait, pancakes, a selection of cold cuts, cereals, eggs, french toast, and fresh juices, coffees and teas were delightful. After this, my wife and I could take on the day, and explore the island or go to the beach.
----On exploring the Island - The Fairmont Southampton could not be better located on the island, unless you were in Hamilton itself, and wanting the privacy, and the ability to get to know Bermuda and her culture better - the Southampton Princess was the ticket. A couple of tips - take advantage of the ferry!!! It can get pricey, very quickly, to take a taxi to and from the hotel to Hamilton. The ferry is nominal comparatively speaking! However, to get a taxi, is EASY. The people, are warm and friendly (more on that later).
----On the BEACH - I mean, hey, this is the most important part right? S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G. I live within 8 hours of three beaches named in the top 10 in all the world. I know beaches. On one end of the Fairmont beach, it was crowded....but on the other end, it was a good 4 to 5 yards before we even got to the next person on the beach. Getting to the beach? Easy. Hop on, and in 3 minutes, you're there.
-----On the Room - another thing to mention about the room, we were able to watch a storm roll in, and it was absolutely spectacular. In addition to our room being incessantly and wonderfully cleaned, the comfort of the room was excellent. We had plenty room, a generous walk-in closet, two sinks, and the shower head - Oh. My. Gosh. Where can I get one of those! You could twist it, almost 4 different ways for different sprays!!!

After a day on the beach, or exploring the island, we would have lunch at the Ocean Club, or get some great ideas from the staff for true island cuisine (The Henry the VIII - :) ) Fantastic meal at the Ocean Club - and of the three different places I tried Bermuda Fish Chowder on the island - this was the most authentic, and the best! Dinners were par excellence, but I must admit the Italian place (I can't remember it's name) on the property was good, but average. Room service was outstanding, meats and choices cooked very nicely. But my favorite part - High Tea. Take advantage of it! (Oh if only the Fairmont sold their Breakfast tea.....they'd be able to open up another one, I'd buy so much of it).

The People - The people of Bermuda are warm, friendly, and very genuine. They appreciate old fashioned common courtesy, as do I. The British element to the island is definitely there, and I hope it never goes away. Formal Informality would be a good term for it. It is dream to talk with the people, and start every conversation with Good morning or Good afternoon, sir. The way civil people talk with one another! :) In fact, I got a couple pair of Bermuda shorts (yes, even a pink pair) and wore them one evening with a coat, stocking socks and dress shoes to the Waterlot Inn! :) And a couple of people remarked positively, a few smiled, one even stopped me and said, "Thank you for making the effort and for learning about our island!" :)

The Hotel Staff - THE BEST PART OF THE HOTEL STAY - PERIOD. The food, insanely good. The staff? Even better. Every need was taken care of, without unnecessary delay or problem. Courteous, and very helpful. The room was cleaned, with great care, twice a day, and if I needed to get something, I could always rely on the staff to help me make the honeymoon experience incredible for my wife (they helped me book a Spa day, after asking about the spa, the lady at the Concierge desk asked me about my wife. I told them what my wife likes and dislikes, what she wanted, etc. I was planning on going back to the room and booking it. Five minutes later, I got a call in the room saying it was booked. - you want to talk about service? You want to talk about someone who actually listened?!?! It was FANTASTIC)

Long story short - We'll be back, and as someone who would complain at the drop of a hat (because this was the most important vacation I've ever, or will ever book), if I could find a negative, I'd write. I just can't. Thank you so much Fairmont Southampton for making this one experience we will cherish for the rest of our lives (and we mean that quite literally).

P.S. - if I could remember the names of the helpful staff, I would name them, because they took the time to get to know me, and I feel terrible, that I can't remember their names.

Room Tip: If you can swing the Concierge floor - DO IT!!!! All the rooms have a great view - but we got to wat...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow - thank you so much for such a glowing, detailed review of your fantastic honeymoon stay. Congratulations again, I'm thrilled you are so happy with your choice of Bermuda & The Fairmont Southampton as a honeymoon destination. All your tips and advice are fantastic and I am sure other travelers will really appreciate the insight you provide here!

FYI - our Fish Chowder is made by the fabulous Bermudian chef Herbie Bascome, who is famous for his soup! Our teas are sold in the Fairmont Stores at select properties and online, so hopefully you'll be able to get your fix before your next stay. Your Bermuda shorts outfit sounds authentically local and fantastic, I hope you get lots of wear out of it at home, too!

It sounds like you had a fabulous experience with the staff, and I have sent your review onto our colleagues to thank them on your behalf for giving friendly, personalized service. Reviews like yours remind us how great it feels when we get it right, so thank you so much for sharing! We hope to welcome you and your new wife back to Bermuda for many more special occasions to come!

Been to The Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!